“Thank you for an excellent night”
Review of Oldfields Noted Eating House - CLOSED

Oldfields Noted Eating House
Cuisines: Scottish, British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: We’re proper cooks, serving real British food, cooked properly. We don’t mess around with our food. We cook it simply, without flashy sauces, so the quality of the ingredients speak for themselves.The ingredients that go into our kitchen come from local farms and suppliers, some of whom we’ve known for years, like Joe Simpson of Cockfield, who rears, slaughters and butchers his own beef, Ian Alexander of Raby Estates with his fantastic venison and Carol Peacock from Sedgefield who makes world-beating blue cheese. Our veg comes from the local markets and our recipes are based on real British dishes with heritage.
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I recently returned to Oldfields with my wife for our Wedding Aniversary. I must say it has never let us down and certainly didn't on the night. A massive thanks must go to the staff and chef for making our evening unforgettable. Service was fantastic, food was amazing and atmosphere was relaxed and classy at the same time. I'm a great advocate of supporting local business and this place helps by sourcing all its food locally. It's a change to have excellent service, food and atmosphere without paying over the top. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone visiting Durham or looking for a nice night of tradional British food. Thanks again.

1  Thank Westp5

Reviewed November 14, 2012

Over the years, I have learned to avoid Oldfields as the quality of the experience varies so much but this time, our usual favourite (Bistro 21) was closed, so we gave Oldfield's another try. We took job candidates there and it was simply embarrassing. My starter was nearly inedible, the fishpie in need of fish and taste and the service was terrible. The best example was that the bottle of wine we ordered was put on our table. None offered, not even opened. I will make sure not to return.

2  Thank AbigailBlank
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Boyfriend took me for a birthday meal knowing that I likd it last time we went. This time was no different. Fab cocktails to start and then a main course to die for - smoked haddock with mustard sauce. Puds were excellent, I had sticky toffee with a cinder toffee ice cream the boyfriend had creme brulee. Food and drinks a decent 70 odd quid for 2 courses, bottle of good wine and a cocktail each. Would I go back? Without a doubt.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

Lovely atmosphere, friendly service and amazing food - what more could you want? Never had a bad experience at Oldfields and will continue to return again and again. I highly recommend it to anyone visiting Durham.

1  Thank Lindsay W
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Went here with my partner after not visiting for a few months.

We both thoroughly enjoyed our lunch. The steak from the grill menu was first class, the rabbit casserole superb!

Not a dessert type of guy, but tried my partners Eton Mess and was impressed.
My cheese board was beautifully presented (As was all the food), and the wine list has a decent range.
Good service, and still an excellent buzzy atmosphere.

1  Thank Alan R