“A Lovely Surprise”

Ranked #52 of 329 Restaurants in Durham
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 20, 2013

My partner and I had the chance to visit The Stonebridge Inn while on a trip visiting Durham. It was a short walk from our B&B and we initially wanted to drop in for a pint or two. However, we were easily swayed to sample some of their dinner menu. Upon arrival we were welcomed and immediately seated in the dining area. Unbeknownst to us it also happened to be live music night and although it was busy, it definitely added a positive note to the atmosphere. I had the steak with onion rings and chips which was well prepared and served in a decent size portion - very tasty! My partner and I were definitely impressed with their sticky toffee pudding which had plenty of sauce - definitely recommended for those with a sweet tooth! On the whole our evening was relaxed, we never felt rushed to order or get through our courses, and the hospitality was very friendly. A lovely night out!

1  Thank crzdcdn

Reviewed September 17, 2013

Hard one to revie. We were shown to a seat and given a menu by a waitress. When we explained that my wife needed gluten free food she went off to see which meals complied. Then she came back without a notebook and took our order without writing anything down; she explained my wife's diet would allow tomato and mushrooms but not onion rings. Still without writing anything down she listened to all the details and eventually came back with knives and forks. We reminded her of the drinks we had ordered and eventually got them together with the food with onion rings and no mushrooms, rather than the other way round. Several minutes later no-one had come back to see if everything was all right and I could not attract a waitress by waving or calling out so I went to the counter and explained. The person serving apologised and assured me that the lack of mushroom was an oversight.

A few minutes later she came over with a dish containing one mushroom.

The main course was very well cooked and presented - a much higher rating could have been given if attention was given to the simple procedures of taking the order down accurately and taking a few seconds to ask if we needed anything else.

1  Thank BrianArmagh
Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

The food is excellent there is no doubt, but the menu is very limited! There are very few 'pub classics' and seriously needs some thought, there was nothing on it that i really liked so decided to go for the fish and chips! It was very nice but i would have went to a chipshop if i wanted fish a d chips! The new landlord is very attentive but his wife, who was serving, was a bit scatty and didnt have much clue! I dont think we will go back

1  Thank Chris M
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We just had Sunday lunch and were very impressed. One course costs £8.95 and there is a choice of beef, lamb, pork, chicken and pan fried salmon with yorkshire pud and season vegetables. When our food arrived each plate contained a generous helping of meat with a huge yorkshire pud, generous portion of mash potato, two roast potatoes, a generous portion of stuffing (I had the chicken) with lashings of tasty gravy. The extra veggies came soon after: roast parsnips, peas, carrots plus a dish of cauliflower cheese and a jug of gravy. Only negative point was that there was too much food for us. The pub itself is very nice, spacious (with a large conservatory/dining area) and although you can book ahead, we didn't and we still got in. That's not to say that it wasn't busy. The Sunday lunch period is 12 noon until 6pm. We had a pint of coke and a cappuccino with our food and the bill was £21.90. We'll be back. :)

1  Thank Helen D
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We went to the Stonebridge today for Sunday lunch and had a fantastic meal. Staff are very friendly, the food is excellent with large portions of meat, homemade yorkshires and fresh veg. What an improvement under this management. Will definitely be going back.

2  Thank Katie J