“A great local little restaurant”

Maximo's Italian Restaurant
Ranked #60 of 309 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Maximo's is a popular local Italian restaurant in a modern village location. The restaurant has a bustling atmosphere serving happy hour menu's for lunch and early evening meals with an a la carte menu also available and daily chef specials.
Durham, United Kingdom
“A great local little restaurant”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Since Maximos opened it doors we have visited many times, and have to say we have never experienced a poor service.
Dave is always very welcoming and goes the extra mile to squeeze you in, even when they are particularly busy on a Fri/Sat evening.
We have never been ill from any of our visits and have infact experienced some fab food and great prices.
If you are thinking of booking I would advise you to disregard the negative comments as this is a great little local restaurant.

2 Thank sam190832
jayne k, Owner at Maximo's Italian Restaurant, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Thank you for your very nice comments.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Tasty”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We visited for a family birthday meal on a Saturday night.
I was a bit apprehensive when I saw how small the restaurant actually is, and we were only given a two person table for the four of us, but the food more than made up for this: portion sizes were generous and I would say that prices were reasonable for the quality of the meal.
I can't really comment on the staff as they didn't make any impression good or bad; I can confirm however that none of our party were ill as a result of eating here and all of our food seemed to be properly cooked.

1 Thank gemmam2402
Durham, United Kingdom
“Uncooked food and Food Poisoning”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We chose this restaurant for a birthday party as it was close to home and easily accessible.
On first impression the staff were a bit blunt, but the place was cosy and well represented.
We were seated immediately as they already had the table prepared and they brought menus and took our drink orders right away and then it began to go down hill...

The starters were miss-represented, the pizza garlic bread in particular. I ordered this and its simply a piece of rolled out dough with oil mixed with garlic flavour. It wasn't very nice, even though it implied it was a pizza bread (cheese, and garlic, maybe some tomato) The rest were okay though, and they were given too us pretty quickly even though there was seven of us, so in that aspect, it's a positive.

Then the mains arrived. I ordered the Calzone maximo, (meat pizza folded) But it was all dough and air. the little filling I did get was really nice, but it was that- little. I also had to order sauce, because the meal was literally a hard dry Calzone on a plate.

The second food complaint we had was with a chicken pasta main. It was intended for my younger sister, but she said it tasted funny, so my Mam and her swapped. My Mam had a few mouthfuls and then found under cooked chicken and uncooked pasta and refused to eat it. They offered to make another but my Mam refused so they took it off the bill, which was nice but still, undercooked chicken Is very dangerous.

The night carried on and the desserts were lovely, and the way they brought out the birthday cake was fun, playing a birthday song and dimming the lights etc.

The next punch in the face was the bill. On happy hour (less that £6 a meal on the happy hour menu) seven of us managed to spend £160. The drink prices must have been extortionate! but we didn't know as we weren't given a drinks menu. They also offered parmesan cheese around to everyone for the meal, and its a good thing only 1 of us accepted as the added 75p onto the bill for that without telling us we had to pay! For a sprinkle of cheese!

We left and sure enough, once we got home and settled my Mam was ill, being sick until god knows when in the morning and no doubt about it, it was the food.

In short, I wouldn't really recommend this Restaurant. I had a nice birthday, but the eatery was nothing flash and I probably would have had a better time elsewhere. Me and my family won't be visiting again.

1 Thank katieleighowens
jayne k, Owner at Maximo's Italian Restaurant, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
I refer to your comments made during your visit to our restaurant on Tuesday 20th August.

You ordered two plain pizza garlic bread which you said was just a piece of rolled out dough with garlic on top. Yes that’s correct, they are made with dough, and topped with a blend of oil and pureed fresh garlic that’s how the pizzas are made.There was no cheese or tomato added because these were not ordered.

You mention the fact that you had a chicken pasta main. I have looked at our copy of your order and there is no chicken pasta main course ordered. The meal ordered was penne montagna. THIS IS A VEGETARIAN DISH (pasta with cream with asparagus and mushrooms and parmesan.). You said that it tasted funny and the chicken was undercooked. This dish does not include any chicken so we weren’t sure how you could say the chicken could be undercooked. If the pasta was slightly undercooked then we do apologise for that and we acknowledged that by not charging you for that dish.

You then mentioned you were surprised at the price of the bill. I have a copy of the bill and exactly what you ate and drank and the total was actually £146.65 not £160.00 as claimed.

Out of the starters the only happy hour dishes ordered were the pizza garlic breads £2-95 and the garlic mushrooms £3-95 but on the main courses everything was happy hour apart from the pizza calzone, which was £8-50 plus 75p for the extra sauce you ordered, which is clearly stated on the menu. There is no charge for parmesan cheese and you weren’t charged for it.

All Happy Hour pizza and pasta is £5-25 but chicken is £7-95 and steaks are £9-95 and you had 1 chicken dish and 2 steaks, 1 pizza calzone at £9-25 (inc sauce) and 3 pastas at £5-25. Again this is all clearly stated on the menu at the time of ordering. Nothing is hidden from our customers.
The desserts are £4-95 of which you ordered 2 and 1 Tia Maria coffee and 1 Baileys coffee, which are £4-50 each.
The drinks that were ordered were as follows- 7 pints lager, 2 vodka + coke, 1 bacardi + coke, 2 whiskey + lemonade, 1 medium glass of red wine, 2 small glasses of rose and lemonade, 2 j2o, 1 peroni and 1 coke. Totalling £67.90. THERE IS a wine list and drinks prices are on the menus so I don’t know how you could say that you didn’t know the cost of drinks etc

You also mentioned your mam had food poisoning from the chicken, as you state “obviously from the food”, even though there was NO CHICKEN in the dish concerned..???. This is a very serious (and categorically false) accusation to make without medical proof. There are a number of tests that have to be carried out to confirm food poisoning and how it was caused. I presume you have had all the tests to confirm that?
To accuse a restaurant of food poisoning is a very serious matter which obviously we will have to take further.
England
“Nice little restaurant”
Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

This restaurant is very pleasant. The menu has a wide range of items all reasonably priced. Service was slow between courses but it didn't impact on my romantic meal. Food was tasty - chocolate brownies were devine!

Visited July 2013
1 Thank eater123England
“Very nice food ...”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Can't fault the food in this eatery. However the staff aren't very perceptive to what is going on around them and dont seem very organised. Top tip - be prepared for a long wait in between courses and an even longer wait for your billable this was early evening and not a busy night. Would I go again YES.

• Visited July 2013