“great nights sleep”
Review of Days Inn Durham

Days Inn Durham
Ranked #14 of 18 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed February 14, 2014

I stayed at the Days Inn on a Tuesday night. I checked in at just gone three, and checked out the next day at 10.30am. The staff were very approachable, informative and carrying,concerned that I had a good stay, and provided me with two contact numbers should I need them. I slept well, refreshed for the next day. I shall certainly stay again.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Denise B, General Manager at Days Inn Durham, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2014

Thank you for your review of Days Inn Durham. I know the whole team are delighted with your kind praise, and that you had an enjoyable stay with us. I look forward to welcoming you back here very soon.
Kind regards
Denise

Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

Stayed on a Saturday night. Very quiet, clean and tidy.

As you expect very standard accommodation but good value if you can get the room rate at the right price.

No place adjacent for a evening meal but a couple of pubs are in easy driving distance.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

I will pass on your lovely comments to the staff
I do hope to welcome you back to Days Inn Durham soon and thank you again for your review.
Kind regards
Denise Brown

Reviewed January 24, 2014

We were booked into this hotel as it was Graduation week & no room was available near to NS&I office by the river.
We arrived & booked into our rooms I was in 8. The staff were friendly & very helpful but no food was available here only McDonalds or Costa Coffee on the services.
The room was a good size with a comfy bed but believe me unless you are travelling further north & resting your head there is nothing to do here but get bored. 3 miles into Durham £13 taxi.
Work paid £60 a night for the room personally I think they were overcharged for the facilities.

Room Tip: 8 looks onto services but I heard nothing at all noise wise
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed December 12, 2013

We arrived at the hotel having spent a very pleasant day at the Christmas Fayre in Durham deciding to stay rather than driving back to Leicester late at night. The hotel receptionist was very pleasant and efficent, the room was fine. At about 19.00 a group of people arrived at the hotel, banging doors shouting and playing music loudly. We contacted the reception desk at 20.30 to log a complaint and were told they would sort it out and that the party were going out at 21.30 so would be spoken to, the noise continued until half of them left at 21.30 the remaining ones were slightly quieter . At 02.00 when the group returned to the hotel they beganwith doors being banged ,kicked, loud music playing , this lead to other guests banging on walls and shouting , and ranting outside the hotel. This situation continued until 04.30 when people started leaving. Nothing was done by the hotel nobody was available in the morning when we left at 09.00 and they haven't replied to any emails we have sent. Avoid this hotel at all costs

Dissatisfied of Leicester

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Richard S
Reviewed September 19, 2013

I always rate my experiences compared to what I was expecting beforehand. Staying at a Days Inn just off the A1 at a service station, I wasn't expecting much at all and chose the place for the convenience of being right on the A1 for an early morning journey into South Shields the following morning. However the place really did the job and provided me with a good nights sleep before the Great North Run the day after.

The afternoon we checked in, there was only one member of staff on reception who seemed to have the job of receptionist, security and cleaner! Considering this was probably their busiest weekend of the year because of the Great North Run, more staff should have been put on to help this person out. However I'm not rating down my experience because of this as it didn't affect our stay in any way, and this person could not have been more helpful considering the obvious stress they were under.

Beware if booking through certain websites that the hotel itself does not offer breakfast, contrary to suggesting that it is available at £7.50 which will be added to your bill. All the hotel offers is a £7.50 voucher for £10 worth of food at the adjoining service station which contains a 24hr McDonalds and a Costa which that weekend at least opened at 6am. This may not be what you are expecting so beware.

Overall, an excellent stay for one night with nothing at all to complain about.

Room Tip: At the moment, I'm told the ground was the only floor not affected by the water damage so probab...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We were down for the cricket and really only needed somewhere to put our head down for the night but even for that I would t recommend it.
The initial booking was mixed up by them and then again on arrival. After sorting it out we were given a room with a dirty shower head, filthy bath and broken lights.
On arrival there were a number of people drinking vodka outside and again at 8.30 am when we left on the Sunday. We were told by out taxi driver immigrants are stayin there whilst working down the road and have been there for weeks.Didn't feel particularly comfortable leaving anything of any value in the room as it was a flimsy lock ad intercom to get in either didn't work or they just let anyone in.
I feel totally aggrieved to have paid 70 pound for a nights stay there.

• Stayed: August 2013
Denise B, General Manager at Days Inn Durham, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel. At Days Inn Durham we endeavour to ensure all our guests have an enjoyable stay in a comfortable environment and do apologise that on this occasion we failed to provide this. We cannot apologise enough over the mix up on your reservation, we have been recovering from major water damage in the hotel over the summer and whilst renovation has been going on we have been able to offer a short term accommodation agreement to a Polish based engineering firm. Unfortunately there looks as though there has been some misunderstanding with the taxi company that you used during your stay. We can confirm the engineer’s staying here are highly skilled and the group you witnessed does not bare a reflection on the group that are staying with us.
We hope the renovations will be finished by the end of year, however I have attached some photos of how the rooms will look.
Again please accept our apologies and please get in touch by email at durham@daysinnrc.co.uk as I’ll be happy to offer you a complement stay.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights to explore Durham. Was rather wary of location and thought it might be noisy but very quiet as secluded off A1 adn well away from the HGV park and petrol asection of the services.. Mainly block booked by Polish workers but they were no problem and the management kept them to certain sections of the hotel to minimise any potential disruption to other guests.
Room was clean, tidy and well apportioned. Excellent value. Receptionists more than helpful. Complementary use of national papers: big book of information for local restaruants, eateries etc if you didn't fancy the Costa or McDonalds on site. Only about 4 miles from Durham so very convenient.
Don't be fazed by the £10 for 24 hr parking signs on display everywhere - it is free for guests.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple