“Good hotel with pleasant staff”

Durham Marriott Hotel Royal County
Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed November 28, 2013

Spent one night at the Marriott on business.

This is a large, rambling hotel in an excellent location near Durham city centre.

Check-in was a very pleasant experience, with friendly, smiling staff. My room, which was a very long way from reception in the new extension, was large, with a very comfortable king-size bed, flat screen TV and, best of all, a Corby trouser press.

Bathroom was also large, with a big bath and shower and good quality toiletries.

Housekeeping was very good, with high standards of cleanliness.

I had dinner in the hotel restaurant. It was well cooked and service was both friendly and efficient.

The hotel kindly provided complimentary drinks to all guests at the comfortable bar.

I very much enjoyed my short stay at the. Marriott and will certainly return.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Willow3b

Reviewed November 28, 2013

So-so, really. The staff are still very friendly, and the location is of course still excellent. Decor and maintenance have improved a bit. It's great that he whole place is now smoke-free, the only down-side being smoke alarms with LEDs so bright that they'd keep anyone awake! £5 for guest parking is a bit cheeky and the levered-in Starbucks lowers the tone, but now the Three Tuns has gone it's the only option on Elvet. Do use the Marriott best price guarantee - quote them a rate from Tripadvisor or similar and they will not only match it but give you a further discount to get down to a more realistic fee.

Room Tip: You don't get a choice, sorry.
1  Thank PeripateticPoleaxe
Reviewed November 25, 2013

This hotel is location perfect, it's 2 minutes walking disdance away from all the shops and tourist attractions, there is a nice park and a river behind the hotel, people jogging and walk their dogs there. There is a starbucks in the hotel as well. Opposite the hotel there are few good bars and restaurants.

The check-in was very easy,the whole process took about 2 mintues. we parked our car in the guest car park and it costs 5 pounds a day. The hotel looks nice inside, the reception looks clean. One downside is that during check-in the receptionist didn't give us and information on where the restaurant is, where the fitness centre is and what facilities this hotel has...

Our room is very nice, clean and cosy, the bed is so comfortable. Although the room is facing the main road, it was not noisy at all. I slept really well during my stay there.

The deco of the hotel bar area is very old fashion, it reminds me of some 1940s black and white movies...the bar serves drink fast and efficient but the deco should definitely be improved.

The leisure center took us a bit of time to find, it is hidden away in the deep part of the hotel...we took a lift on the east wing of the hotel to the 2nd floor and saw a sign for the leisure centre, the sign was so unclear, it doesn't tell anything on the direction...so we took a guess and turned right when we came out from the lift, luckly that was the right way..then we took the staircase back to the ground floor and saw a tiny wooden door with a the leisure center sign...The leisure center is nice, with a gym, swimming pool and saunna..the swimming pool looks quite dated but the saunna was good, there were quite a lot of kids in the swimming pool. The changing room is not very clean, the wet floor is quite muddy.

The breakfast in this hotel is very good, lots of selections from british to continental, and the hotel staffs all seem very energetic and happy, which is always nice to see in the morning.

The check out was very easy, all I needed to do was to hand in the keys. In generally I think my stay in this hotel is great, and I will definitely go back again.

1  Thank Palslow
Reviewed November 24, 2013

Stayed here for one night as a treat for my husband. Married at noon, car park was busy but we found a spot. Went to reception and greeted by a lovely lady. She too guessed our name. Our room wasn't ready but she was aware that we were here. Had a wonderful afternoon in Durham and didn't get back to the hotel until about 7.45 pm. Check in done by the same lovely lady. Our room was lovely, curtains closed and light on. Spotlessly clean, bed very comfortable and linen superb. Had a very old nights sleep and our view of the cathedral was superb. Breakfast was possibly the best we have ever had. Had to wait for 5/10 minutes for a table but once we were seated we were very impressed. Excellent, quality, fresh ingredients. The hot buffet was constantly being topped up and service was impeccable. The supervisor (I think) was really overcome when we told her how good it was. We were room 306 - just to remind her! Why only 4 stars? The lift was out of order and we had to walk up six flights of stairs and the wait at breakfast. Otherwise a superb stay.

Reviewed November 20, 2013

I've arrived at the hotel tonight and feel like I'm on a rollercoaster. When I checked in, I couldn't have met a friendlier person. He guessed my name correct and I was made to feel incredible welcome. The bar staff have been wonderful and I've just enjoyed the most deliciious Lobster soup. Just what I needed after spending a long 5 hours travelling after a day at work. The room feels a little tired but the view (although its dark) is going to be wonderful when I wake in the morning.
The reason for my desire to write so quickly is that I was asked if I wanted anything else when I finished my soup. I asked if I could have a half portion of the cheese dessert. The full portion is £9 and I don't feel that I would be able to finish the whole plate. I was told that the chef wouldn't allow that to happen as he has pictures in the kitchen that show him exactly how he has to present the food and he's is not allowed to vary from those pictures. apparently the chefs can be very picky and fussy. Not my words. I actually wasn't upset that he said no...I was fairly sure it wouldn't be possible. but it was the reason for the no that felt very wrong in terms of making a person feel like a valuable customer. And now I've read all the reviews about the poor service in the restaurant. It's all making sense.

Room Tip: I have a room on the riverside which looks great.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Very average for £120 room only rate. There for the Lumiere so understandably busy which was good to see. Restaurants in town fully booked so ate in hotel restaurant. Home made soup delicious. However, this promising starter wasn't reflected in the veggie courgette tart main which was a disgrace. Inedible lump of indescribable 'puff'' pastry with a few slices of limp courgette on top. No pesto although it said there was on the menu. Served with mozarella cheese and salad on a red-hot plate!! No criticism of the staff, by the way, who were marvellous and didn't charge us for the dish. Chips served cold and had to be replaced. This does not reflect at all well on the kitchen that night. Meal somewhat redeeemed by the very good cheese cake. Asked too many times (five?) during the meal by different staff if everything was OK. Intrusive and annoying, Someone needs to take a grip.

We've stayed here regularly for years and it's a shame to see the Spa looking tired. Cracked tiles, scruffy changing rooms, dirty floors - all seems to be symptomatic of a gentle decline and/or sloppy management. We'll try the Radisson next time.

2  Thank NavigatorNW
Reviewed November 17, 2013

This is the second time I have stayed here and once again it was great. We met friends so we could visit the Lumiere festival and my son is at university here so was great to catch up with him too. The service and welcome was excellent. The room clean and what an enormous bed which was fabulous!
We didn't eat here as have previous bad experience and breakfast was very expensive.
Will definately stay again, if not before definately for graduation next year.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends