“Swap Canapes for Free Parking”

Durham Marriott Hotel Royal County
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Durham
Preston, United Kingdom
“Swap Canapes for Free Parking”
Reviewed October 24, 2012

The Hotel is in an amazing position for enjoying the supreme delights of this extraordinary City - wonderful experience
Rooms and Service - very good
Breakfast - excellent
Staff - excellent

Remarkable and inappropriate focus on parking - I understand the challenge - close to the centre but why should the Guests be penalised for the location ?????? Two star thinking combined with 4* experience!! Result - unfair penalty on guests - please review!!

Room Tip: The staff are excellent - approach them and discuss
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank George647

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
England
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Stayed recently and service excellent, room OK but starting to show it's age here and there (broken tiles etc). Bed really comfortable and good breakfast. Only down side was the pool was closed and they were refurbishing the restaurant otherwise would have scored higher.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank NickAAAA
North-east
Reviewed October 23, 2012

If you have a spa day booked, DO NOT GO! The Marriott will cease trading with Spa Tranquility from 14 November. My friend and I booked a spa day and everything was confirmed two days beforehand but when we arrived the receptionist told us there were no therapists available but we were welcome to use the facilities, which consisted of the jacuzzi, steam room and gym - the pool was not available as there was a problem with the heating boiler! Obviously we declined as we had planned a relaxing spa day away from work etc (and had paid for one other spa day also!). The receptionist informed us we could leave the car in the hotel car park as we decided to not waste the day and go into the town centre. We got the impression from the receptionist that there were problems associated with the company, Spa Tranquility, and he had to turn other people away. We went back to the hotel and spoke with the Duty Manager who tried to contact someone from Spa Transquility but there was no reply (I had also done this at reception but left messages on both a landline and mobile number for the spa). The Duty Manager called us later in the day to let us know she had not been able to contact anyone but the hotel would cease trading with spa transquility form 14 November. We returned to the car later and called into reception to see if there had been any further developments or contact with spa tranquility. There were several staff around reception and I expressed my dissatisfaction with the way in which the hotel had dealt with the situation but was told the spa and the hotel are different companies but this does not excuse the fact that the hotel could have let us know there were problems occurring and as the pool was unavailable, spa visitors could have been informed by the hotel also. Why have a sign outside of the spa with "Marriott Durham Royal County Leisure Club" and not accept any responsibility for the staff and companies they employ in the spa? As this was a Living Social deal I have contacted them in order to get a refund and have outlined the circumstances.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
9 Thank kaznorth
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 19, 2012

We were welcomed with a glass of chilled white wine and canapes which was very nice. Nicely furnished rooms and very comfortable beds. Breakfast was just o.k and a bit chaotic. Negatives were the chambermaids rustling plastic bags in the corridor from 7.a.m and then chatting loudly outside our door. No chance of a lie in even though it was Sunday. Also it would have been nice to have a bottle of water in the room.

Room Tip: Ask for quiet rooms facing the river. Durham can be noisy on a Saturday night.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Susan G
Western part
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I didn't get to spend a lot of hours in this hotel, so I can't say a lot. I had tried to stay in another city but ended up going to Durham at the last minute. They were sold out but had some no shows, so accommodated me which was nice of them.

The parking is not all that expensive and is in what is probably the courtyard of the hotel. It is an expansive old building with a lot of hallways and corridors. You can either think of it as cumbersome or interesting...I choose "interesting". I had checked in so late but ended up taking a walk..lots of interestingt buildings at night and many people out.

The hotel has thick curtains so you can probably isolate yourself from the street noise if you like. I had the window open and was enjoying the air. I didn't use the internet since I had a sim card, so can't comment on that. However, the desk was nice, the bed was comfortable.

The hotel was sold out for a conference, or I would have stayed a second night and would therefore have a more extensive review.

Got to talk with the sales manager the next morning, as she was the manager on staff. A delightful woman to talk to actually.

Room Tip: I would say just ask them what's the best they can give you.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

Disappointingly undergoing renovations. Both the main restaurant and leisure centre were closed and I was not told this at the time of booking or prior to arrival. The price did not reflect this temporary lack of facilities. On check in, one of our rooms was not ready and on returning later this caused massive confusion for staff causing me to return a third time for the room to be ready. The twin room more than made up my early frustration as my friend and I each had a king size most comfortable bed with plenty of pillows. There was a small seating area with usual tea/coffee facilities but the fridge wasn't working with a note in it to that affect and avail of refreshments at the bar. The bathroom needs updating but adequate. I enquired about wifi and was told it was only available bar and function room and when I didn't get a connection , enquired again to be told it must be paid for. We availed of a group lunch of soup and sandwich for £10 self service. There was a variety of sandwiches plated up for everyone to handle and weren't labelled as to the content. A staff member could offer me no better explanation only that they were a mixture. It really wasn't good enough , dietary and religious requirements were not met. We got a late check out at 2pm at no extra cost and they held on to our luggage as expected until our taxi arrived. Parking is advertised as free on their website but it is pay and display but a special guest rate of £5 applies. I really didn't feel it was luxurious enough to qualify as a four star and would not stay here again only because its not worth the money not that it's a bad hotel.

• Stayed October 2012
3 Thank Overlykeen
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Because I'm used to staying in small B&Bs when I am in England, I was very pleased with my large room at the Marriott Royal County. I had a king-sized bed and a sofa. My room included a TV, refrigerator, coffee and tea utensils, full bath items with a heated towel rack and full-sized bath towels. And, of course, there was a lift to get to the room.

The room was clean and quiet. There is no breakfast included with the standard hotel rate; however, there are so many nice cafes close by that it's not a problem.

The staff is very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo