Lumley Castle Hotel
$172
$141
  • Pool
$110
The Honest Lawyer Hotel(Durham)(Great Value!)
$58
$56
Travelocity
Bannatyne Hotel Durham(Durham)(Great Value!)
$56
$49
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
Premier Inn Durham City Centre(Durham)(Great Value!)
$82
  • Bar/Lounge
Premier Inn Durham East Hotel(Durham)(Great Value!)
$71
Travelodge Durham(Durham)(Great Value!)
$66
Travelodge
Premier Inn Durham North Hotel(Durham)(Great Value!)
$71
2,261 results
All reviewsthe black knight restaurantlibrary barcourtyard roomelizabethan banquetafternoon teamurder mysteryfour poster bedcream teachester le streetcricket groundsconeseggs benedictevening mealspecial occasionwedding venuegreat nightwaiting staff
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 19, 2014

I have read a lot of reviews about Lumley castle and there are good ones and bad one's- I suppose everyone has a bad day and some people have very high expectations.
So....this is my experience- we stayed overnight in a court yard bedroom- for me the room was just fine. very Comfy Bed good size bathroom and all the standard facilities you would expect- the room was very authentic within the tradition of the castle.
We booked in on time 3pm and the desk service was very good- even though they were very busy. after dropping off our bags in the room we had a look around and found ourselves in the banquet hall as they were setting up- the staff were lovely and told us about the history of the Banquet and what we could expect. we explored the castle and found out about It's history- they did what looked like a very nice high Tea- but we went for a walk and just happed to find ourselves at the local golf club and popped in for a swift drinky poo's.
A piper played us into the vaulted bar area at 7pm and there were a good mix of people there- some dressed in Elizabethan clothes- most were not- The bar prices were as you would expect £4 a pint and £3.50 for double spirit and mixer.
The master of ceremony came in and we were ushered into the hall and sat at out tables. so, ok yes they are benches and yes the food is served at the end and passed up, but for me that was all part and parcel of the evening. the entertainment was fun and engaging as long as you did engage and not just sit there- you have to get involved...or its pointless going. the staff were very attentive and friendly -the food was basic and ok- Broth/Bread- Fish in a shell- Ribs cooked to perfection- and yes the chicken and jacket potatoes were a bit dry-the apple crumble was fine and yes the red wine was rocket fuel and the mead was......eh Mead- I guess most of it was wasted, but as a whole it was a great night out and we made new friends by sitting next to people we had never met. we enjoyed the sing-along and the banter.
Now---the only thing i was not sure about was...there was a disco on afterwards and I'm not sure that works with an Elizabethan Banquet theme--oh well- we went to bad after all it was midnight.
After a very comfy sleep- a powerful refreshing shower- we went to breakfast- great setting, great staff and really good choice of Breakfast food.
I would recommend a visit and overnight stay- keep an eye out for deals and please keep an open mind and get into the spirit of the Elizabethan Banquet- the guys really work hard, so get into what they are trying to do you will have a great time.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 19, 2014

We returned from our holiday and were looking for somewhere to eat with relatives. We tried many of our favourite places but being Friday evening all were booked.

Lamely castle was free and when we asked a time expecting to be a reduced availability we were told any time. So we said 7pm. So reading between the lines I think what they do here is you book a table for the time you want then go to the library bar and wait until there is a free table ..so on a busy night you could be waiting a long time!

So, we wanted somewhere special to take our relatives. But there is no dress code here. Well, that's good and bad. Surely if you want somewhere to be special or have a posh up market atmosphere people need to be dressed nicely. To put this into perspective on the tables around us people were wearing football shirts ripped jeans and trainers on the other tables people were wearing sweat shirts and hoodies. A couple of women had dresses on but that was it...so a special place it isn't ..also children were playing noisy computer games so we had the constant ding ding ping ping do dee doo all night ...yes this make the visit here really special ! I would have expected the waiters to look after all guests...this was akin to the local MC Donald's not a good restaurant!

Next the food wasn't particularly good. In fact my sweet was sticky toffee pudding. The pudding was so hard I actually couldn't cut into it with my spoon and left it. We weren't even asked if our food was ok. I suspect the sticky toffee pudding was microwaved for too long hence the outer shell being very leather like!

Our bill was wrong but only by a few pounds so we didn't bother to contest it. But check yours!

The room was very cold with the doors open, I guess more to keep the staff cold than the guests as it was obvious everyone was cold as we all put our jackets on and the children on another table were being cuddled under the jackets of their parents!

All in all a pretty rubbish experience, Mc Donald's seems a more atmospheric place.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

Shocking customer service only interested in taking your money!
We got married here in March and after a lovely day have been left with the memory of our special wedding cards being stolen by the staff, guests being over charged in drinks the later it got and a refusal to refund money owed to us.
After several attempts of contact the castle to complain and getting nowhere as they are not interested now we have spent thousands of pounds we are now pursuing with the police.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
9  Thank reidcher
Reviewed April 15, 2014 via mobile

I booked a feature room for my boyfriend and I as a Christmas present through Celtic Castles, who I must add are brilliant, I highly recommend them and will be using them again! This hotel/castle is truly a step back in time! If you're looking for somewhere different then this is for you! I was a little dubious and worried after reading reviews on here after booking. There were 3 weddings when we stayed there, I was able to park my car easily, sit down and have a drink in the library, staff were attentive and polite from start to finish, the rooms were warm and most importantly my boyfriend loved it which was my priority! On top of that the food and wine were delicious! We stayed in the King James Suite which was spectacular!! It truly was a medieval gem, the pictures just don't do it justice. As for people saying the rooms in the hotel are dark with undulating floors, it is an ancient castle!!!? It adds to the atmosphere and it made it great fun! The only tiny niggle we had was that the wifi was intermittent at times and a few boosters are needed around the castle. My job takes me all over the world, to some of the best hotels and I absolutely adored Lumley Castle!!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 12, 2014

We arrived for afternoon tea with no booking and were greeted very nicely at reception and directed to the Library Bar.

The hotel is stunning, historical and ever so interesting. Female staff wear - badly fitted - period dress costume, which borders on tacky. They would look much smarter in knee-length waitress-style black dresses with aprons. It is worth noting that male staff don't wear period dress, which strikes me as odd.

We arrived at the library bar but were not greeted. In fact no-one was unless you knew the staff. We caught the eye of a waiter and asked for afternoon tea, service from this point was fine. However I saw people sit down and question what they were meant to do. Visit the bar, or stay put and wait for table service. In an establishment of this calibre, new visitors should be put at ease by being greeted and seated.

The food: delicious. The three tiered afternoon tea was at rest for the eyes as well as the mouth. A layer of sandwiches, then a fruit and cheese scone each, with cream, butter and strawberry jam, topped with a plate of small cakes. This was served with tea or coffee, and we were not charged for my tea top-up, a nice touch.

Back to the service. What a noise! The staff are quite loud, shouting drinks orders across the little bar and stomping around heavily. This is really distracting and might be acceptable in a tea shop, but not in a hotel of this calibre. Please keep the noise down. The environment should be friendly, comfortable, but discreet and with a touch of class.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple