“Really Romantic”

Lumley Castle Hotel
Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed December 11, 2013

I have stayed at Lumley Castle before for my brother's wedding and it was a fabulous venue for the wedding. This time I stayed with my boyfriend for our 1 year anniversary since he asked me out. It was really romantic, the staff were brilliant, the food was devine and I was really impressed with the champagne and chocolates. I would definitely come again and hopefully get that package again.

Room Tip: All rooms are good
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Lumley Castle Hotel

Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

We have just returned home after a lovely wedding at Lumley Castle. The venue was beautiful and being this time of year it was all Christmassy too. Access to the car park was ok although a little small but the venue was really easy to find. All staff were professional, friendly and very helpful. I'm on crutches at the moment and when we arrived at reception they immediately noticed this and changed our courtyard room from an upstairs room to a more accessible downstairs room which was a little bigger. There are only 3 reasons I have given this beautiful venue 4 stars and these are as follows.
The food provided was not that good considering this was a wedding and expensive venue. I found it rather bland and uninteresting both for the sit down and evening meal it felt a little bit mass produced and like it had come our of a packet.
The second reason was the accessibility of the venue inside. Being on crutches, and I was not the only one, the venue is very uneven underfoot obviously it's a castle and grounds are cobbled etc but the floors inside are slanted and uneven. There is a lift but only to the first floor which was exhausting due to how far away our room was from the rooms we were using. Also my concern as a health and safety person in my own work was fire risk. There would be no way I or any other guest who was disabled either temporarily or permanently would be able to get down from the floor we were on if there was a fire.
The third reason, and this may sound a bit petty, was the cost of drinks. You can take your own drinks but they do charge you corking so you are really stuck with buying your drinks there which I thought were a little excessive. £3.90 for a bottle of Budweiser I feel is quite over priced.
As I said earlier though the staff were amazing and very helpful and professional and the venue itself was beautiful I would recommend this to family and friends as a truly romantic castle.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jenniebean2012
Reviewed December 6, 2013 via mobile

Just returned from a night here, we had purchased a deal for £130 for two which included dinner up to £30 each, a night in a courtyard room and breakfast. This was an anniversary celebration and last night away before our baby arrives in February.
We had hoped for a special night away but have left feeling utterly disappointed and would not return here again.

Firstly upon check in there was no friendly welcome, just a request to sign and our key given. This could have been accepted as a one off but there seemed to be a continued poor quality theme running throughout our stay...

Upon arrival in the room it was cold and the radiators were filthy! Covered in layers of dust. The bath had sealant peeling from it and afew bodily hairs left in from the previous guests! The carpets also seemed grubby and it simply felt like the room needed a total make over. We also had someone upstairs and could here every move they made including using the toilet!

When we went to the Black Knight restaurant for our meal we were not greeted with the usual friendly customer service expected- I have also worked in a restaurant myself. There was a wedding and another ball on upstairs but there did seem to be enough staff, none however made any eye contact or an effort to take our coats or just engage us at all. At the table we asked for a jug of water, my husband found something floating in his glass so the glass was changed but not the jug. The jug was almost empty but nobody asked if we wanted any extra, they just seemed keen on serving the food quickly. Even when the drinks we ordered were finished nobody asked if we wanted more. We must have been served by 4 different people and none seemed to show much interest or enthusiasm. I had to practically shout at a member of staff passing by in order to ask for some sauce to go with my 'chips' which were basically 4 large bits of potato which were raw in the middle. At the end of the meal we sat and waited around 20 minutes for a bill or to be asked if we wanted anything else and again had to almost wave and shout for someone to come over. We were then told to go to the entrance to sign for the bill, we were told we had gone a couple of pounds over the £60 allowance but it could be paid at checkout so decided to do this. At checkout however we were charged quite alot extra for all drinks as were told drinks were not included in the 'package', something which we really should have been told prior to checkout! We ended up paying the extra despite querying the much higher price and then when walking out we noticed we had in fact been overcharged on the food too!! We returned to the desk and embarrassingly had to push for the lady to use a calculator to add up the total and yes it had been calculated wrong! She asked for a card then refund the overpayment and then realised she had to pay us back cash so took the money back off the card. This was all done with no apology and a comment to another member of staff 'it has happened again'.

One more thing was that at breakfast we were again unimpressed as were given cold toast and when the breakfast came asked for more toast, this never came... When ordering, the waiter ran off before my husband could ask for scrambled eggs out of the 'eggs cooked to your liking' so ended up with a friend egg. We also ran out of milk and again despite there being many staff, they rushed past us ignoring our eye contact and subtle hand gestures and my husband had to actually get up himself and use the waiters bench to fill our milk up! The staff and customer service is clearly lacking throughout the hotel!

All in all we have returned feeling disheartened and that our last night away was a huge waste of money and time. We would NOT recommend a night Lumley Castle, the restaurant or the breakfast to anyone and would not return.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rhodgson84
Reviewed December 4, 2013

The small attic single room was attractive and provided adequate comfort.

Unfortunately the first meal, in the half empty restaurant, took some two and a half hours to complete. This included extensive time waiting for the first attempt to properly cook the main meat dish. Ironically, the second attempt took less time with a better result?

Breakfast the first morning was efficient, in the near empty room
The reception did try their best to get me a taxi the second night but this failed…

However, breakfast the second morning was somewhat pedestrian in the partially filled room. The final check-out was also prolonged…despite being the only one trying to check-out at the time.

All in all nice enough, but somewhat remote, surroundings. Not worth the price and waiting time in the end...

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Brassed_Off_Jynxed
Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

Went with daughters and friend for birthday afternoon tea in black night restaurant . Food very good but spoilt by poor service, miserable waitress and waiter chewing gum!! Asked to take cake home as there was too much to eat and waitress put 2 napkins on the table to wrap food in!!Very poor for quality hotel!! Will not return in the near future!!

Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed November 29, 2013

This is our third stay at Lumley Castle which is exceptional value mid week. £99 for a courtyard room for Bed and Breakfast for two and not much more to include the evening meal. Where else could you stay in a castle for that price. Excellent sleep quality, big bathroom and a perfectly cooked breakfast, highly recommended.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 28, 2013

Nice rooms, super menu in restaurant, very reasonably priced. The staff seemed friendly even though they are in medieval dress all day :-)

Place is said to be haunted, I would agree, the place certainly has atmosphere,

Would certainly stay again, and would like to try another room, maybe in the main building.

All in all recommended, affordable, friendly and well located.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank DannyS284
Also consider these accommodations in or near Durham
Radisson Blu Hotel Durham
Durham Marriott Hotel Royal County
Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa
The Honest Lawyer Hotel
Best Western Beamish Hall Country House Hotel
Travelodge Durham
Travelodge Durham
#7 of 18 in Durham

Been to Lumley Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!