“Quaint but lacking..”

Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Durham
London
“Quaint but lacking..”
Reviewed October 24, 2011

I had an overnight stay on business here. It's featured as a piece of history & it did live up to that with the whole Elizabethan type period effect. The building is a reconditioned former castle with some interesting views.
The reception experience was vague & rather out of date for a modern hotel - it was usually unmanned as far as I could see although occasionally an elderly lady popped out from somewhere to point me in the right direction.
The room was adequate although smallish but bathroom & overall functionality was fine. Decor was old fashioned but not just thrown together, quite well done but not my style, too "frilly" & cluttered really. Grounds etc were pretty & there's a golf course.
Breakfast was quite nicely done, full English went down well & I heard the salmon scrambled eggs were good. Need a better cereal choice though.

Overall it would be nice for a leisure break if you are not too picky and the prices seem reasonable. The hotel needs to upgrade the customer facing side of things though - staff were quite thin on the ground & the reception needs bringing into the 21st century.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (564)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
burnley
Reviewed October 12, 2011

I recently stayed at Lumley Castle, with my wife, as we were attending a wedding that was being held there. Whilst the experience was good, I have got to say that as we left, we felt slightly disappointed. Most of the reviews that we had read, enthused about "what a fantastic place" it was. Perhaps we missed something. There is very little, either externally or internally that is attractive about the castle . Our castle room was nice, with the highest four poster bed that we have ever seen.The staff are ok, but not over friendly. The full English breakfast was very dry - fried eggs are not available (as I was sternly told). Any drinks ( other than bottled drinks) ordered at the bar had to be brought from downstairs by an overworked barman. Sorry, but the whole experience was lacking for us and in our opinion does not offer value for money.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank claretbarry
Reviewed September 30, 2011

I stayed here for one night last week. I asked to swap rooms as I was recovering from a foot operation and they were happy to do this without any issues. I stayed in a lovely courtyard room and also had room service which was great as well. This is the 2nd time I have stayed and once again everything was great. A perfect location and definitely value for money with great service.

• Stayed September 2011
ireland
Reviewed September 29, 2011

we recently stayed for a wedding we had a large room in the castle (rm 52) to faciliate our 3 small children. we all had a wonderful stay i found all the staff very helpful and friendly. the castle is a 10 min walk to a public park with a large play ground (riverside park) which was great for entertaining the children the day after the wedding.

Room Tip: the rooms in the castle are big and spacious we had plenty of room for 2 adults and 3 children aged...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
tyne and wear
Reviewed September 27, 2011

I have recently stayed in Lumley Castle for a corporate event , I stayed in the garden room number 87, the room was lovely perfectly adequate but lacked the atmosphere of the courtyard rooms, another downside was the people next door flushing the loo in the middle of the night, may as well have been in our room as the toilet was on the headboard side of our room and woke us up. The castle itself is enchanting, and just as I asked the staff is this the haunted corridor all the lights went off sheer co-incidence I suppose but added to the atmosphere. The meal was nice but a bit of a "cop-out" as we had a set meal for 20 and would have loved to have had a choice, was very nice none the less. Would definately stay again especially if I am not paying :)

Room Tip: Would pay the extra for a courtyard room
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank helenmack68
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 27, 2011

We eat at Lumley Castle quite regularly and usually find it a very pleasant experience, if a little expensive.The current menu is still described as Spring -surely it is time for a change?

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
uk
Reviewed September 25, 2011

We stayed in one of the Castle rooms, It was a beautiful foom and we loved the Castle. The only bad point of are stay was some of the staff could have been helpful. Over all we enyoyed are stay.

Room Tip: We would recommend one of the castle rooms for a unique night away
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Durham
Radisson Blu Hotel Durham
Durham Marriott Hotel Royal County
Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa
The Honest Lawyer Hotel
Best Western Beamish Hall Country House Hotel
Travelodge Durham
Travelodge Durham
#7 of 18 in Durham

Been to Lumley Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!