“Birthday Meal”

Finbarr’s Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Finbarr’s Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 310 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: British
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Durham, United Kingdom
“Birthday Meal”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

My wife and I visited the restaurant on Friday 15th February along with some friends for a birthday meal. The restaurant had been recommended by the sister of one of our friends and what a wonderful recommendation it turned out to be.

On arrival there was a friendly greeting and my first impression was that the room was bright and looked very nice and elegant. We were shown to our table promptly and the waiter offered to take our coats. After settling down and perusing the menu we all decided that we wouldn't bother with a starter; three choose the Guinness braised beef which I was assured melted in the mouth and was absolutely delicious. I choose to have the Halibut which was very fresh and nicely cooked and I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed it. All our main courses were served with hand cut chips which were also very tasty. We ordered a bottle of Merlot which was priced around what you would expect in a restaurant and was served at the perfect temperature.

After a short rest we were offered the dessert menu all making our individual choices and I must say that the ice cream I choose was soft and is to be highly recommended.

The service in the restaurant was friendly and attentive without being overbearing.

The bill was provided quickly when requested and the this brings me to the only gripe of the night which is that the restaurant sees fit to add a 10% service charge to the bill; now I don't have a problem in rewarding good service and it certainly was good during our visit but I find it very presumptuous of the management that they should decide to spend my money for me.

Surely service charges should be at the discretion of the paying guest who on receiving good services sees fit to reward that service and not predetermined by greedy management.

Overall I won't let this spoil my enjoyment of what was an excellent meal in nice surroundings and I have to say I would certainly recommend everyone to pay a visit to Finbarr's.

surrey
“Really excellent”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Nice bottle of champagne. Excellent mix of table d'hote and a la carte, washed down by a proper red wine.

“Lovely valentines day lunch”
Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

First time I gave eaten here and will definitely be returning. Lovely valentines surprise lunch from my husband. 3 course set meal food was gorgeous and excellent service. Couldn't fault a thing can't wait to return.

Peterlee, Co. Durham
“Top Quality”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

We often have Sunday lunch at Finbarr's and are never disappointed , more expensive than your usual pub lunches but well worth the extra .. Excellent chef with good quality food.

Durham, United Kingdom
“Never disappoints”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

This place has proved itself very reliable. Yet again another lovely evening meal last Friday. The early evening menu is very good value at £15.50 for 2 courses and £18.50 for 3, and there is a reasonable choice. The quality of food was excellent. My only slight reservation was in preferring a green veg to salad with the plaice, especially as I had had salad as part of my starter. The atmosphere was great. It's a popular place, understandably.