“A haven of excellence”

Zen
Ranked #17 of 309 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“A haven of excellence”
Reviewed July 13, 2014

We were recommended to go to this restaurant when contemplating a night out in Durham. It didn't disapapoint. Tucked away near the Law Courts it presents a welcoming facade and inside it is beautifully decorated and well laid out. Staff were welcoming and informative and attentive to our needs. The menu comprises a range of food from the Far East. We decided on a sharing starter which was excellent, chicken satays, breadcrumbed king prawns, Thai fish cakes and Duck in pancakes. For our main courses we choose Thai green chicken curry and Satay chicken curry. Both of these were outstanding and flavoursome, the Satay curry being particularly pleasing but watch for the small sprinkling of chillies on the top, they are very hot.

Its fair to say that we will be returning very soon, one of the best meals ever

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Co Durham
“Birthday in Durham”
Reviewed July 9, 2014

My partner took me to Zen as part of my birthday treat. We arrived mid-sfternoon without a reservation and sat in the conservatory, as it was a warm and sunny day. The service was friendly, efficient and the food served with appropriate delays between courses. We both had starters and a main course with a bottle of white wine between us which we thoroughly enjoyed. The cost was sensible for the quality of food and wine we were served. We would certainly recommend the Zen Restaurant.

• Visited June 2014
Paris, France
“Good food (except desserts), poor service”
Reviewed July 8, 2014

Quite good appetizer (basket of Thai street food), excellent Pad Thai (yet maybe not spicy enough). However the very limited choice of bellow-average desserts (only 4) and an extremely long and not caring service made this diner just average.

1 Thank matoux00
Darlington, United Kingdom
“Great time , But strange happenings”
Reviewed July 6, 2014

Had a great day in Durham yesterday. Me and the wife went on a hot Saturday afternoon. Ended up at Zen, Started with a glass of wine and a cool pint outside in the sunshine. We then went in and ordered a starter , then I ordered a chicken dish my wife a duck dish. A bottle of wine came, House white , Very nice. Then the waiter brought 2 beef dishes, sorry we said not ours. Anyway the starter came which was fantastic , Chicken skewers, Thai fish cakes , you know the works , it was gorgeous .As we finished the 2 beef dishes came again , sorry we said not ours . The waiter came over and apologized . Our main course came which again was fantastic. As we finished guess what , The 2 beef dishes came again, unbelievable . Anyway I sent them back and asked for the bill . The bill came , I was charged for a bottle of wine and 2 beef dishes , To be honest at this point I couldn't be bothered asking them to change the bill , The waiter is probably still wondering around Durham trying to give them away. Anyway I give them a tip to cover the difference . All I can say the place is fantastic and the food too. It's was Saturday 5pm and the place was full. Says something . I will certainly return . Might even try the beef.

Shepperton, United Kingdom
“Best Thai food”
Reviewed July 6, 2014

The food here is always amazing, especially the tempura vegetables, which I love. The staff are friendly and helpful, always worth a visit.

Visited June 2014