“Best Thai food”

Ranked #37 of 357 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Reviewed July 6, 2014

The food here is always amazing, especially the tempura vegetables, which I love. The staff are friendly and helpful, always worth a visit.

Date of visit: June 2014
Write a ReviewReviews (1,318)

Reviewed July 3, 2014

It being Durham University graduation Week, when the city is flooded with proud parents and their graduating offspring, I had booked for lunch with a friend at 115pm. We arrived 20 minutes early and were seated immediately. Zen is to be commended on offering its normal, extensive menu unlike some nearby restaurants which were offering limited menus at increased prices "this week only". On a warm day we ate only one course each but the accompanying drinks, a rum-based cocktail, ice-cold draft Tiger beer and an exotic tea infusion, all went down well.Total bill £34.

Date of visit: July 2014
Reviewed July 1, 2014 via mobile

We visited zen after hearing rave reviews from friends. We ordered the cheeky monk and the yummy duck. The yummy duck was absolutely delicious and the amount of duck was extremely generous. The cheeky monk was good but the menu didnt mention that the monkfish/ mussels were deep fried which made it very rich and heavy.

The pudding was a completely different story. We went for the chocolate brownie to share which was incredible. Very nice and gooey in the middle and a crispy top!

Overall service was good although we did have to prompt them for our drinks.

We would definitely return to zen but maybe make different choices. I would definitely recommend clarifying with your waitor what is deep fried and what is not!

Reviewed June 30, 2014 via mobile

I've always really enjoyed my visits to Zen. I have always found the good amazing, the price. & service though are stumbling blocks, but the atmosphere is great for couples especially if you get a booth.

After reading the other reviews I'm sad to see that it appears to have gone down hill since I was there last. I will have to go back and check this

1  Thank JCGFRY
Reviewed June 22, 2014

This is my second visit to ZEN, the first time was ok nothing more than ok and this time it was disgusting, the service was really slow, the waitress rude, did not get any cutlery with main meal we were told to use out starter cutlery which you expect from an all you can eat not a restaurant. The starters came and the first time the order was wrong which we did not get an apology for then when they finally came the dim sum was cold and the spring rolls greasy, both mine and my partners main courses were bland the curry tasted like they had just tipped a tin of coconut milk in and the chicken that my other half had looked and tasted like the chicken you get from a Bernard Mathews roll. Did not bother with dessert and waited 20 minutes to get the bill. I will not be going back it was expensive £70 for 2 people and not worth it at all I have been to better Thai/Chinese cafes in china town in Newcastle costing £25 than this.

Date of visit: June 2014