“very nice starters” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Zen

Zen
Ranked #16 of 305 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Hartlepool
“very nice starters”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

got the seafood basket and thai fishcakes between me and the wife. Both were excellent if not a tad expensive. i got the jungle beef curry which was nice and spicy, with very well cooked beef. My wife got the Nonyan chicken , wow it was amazing taste sensation. reasonable price too My wee girls basket meal of fresh homemade fish fingers was also very good so i was told!!
lovely restaurant and the staff were very friendly and helpful. will be back.

• Visited October 2013

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Zen - Our Regular Friday Late Lunch for the Past Five Years!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2013

We have been dining here, most Friday's, for a late lunch, for the past five years, so it's about time I wrote a review!
It started as a Friday treat after an early finish at work, to kick start the weekend, but we're both retired now, and love it so much we still go most Friday's!
The food is great, with loads of variety and plenty of it.
The atmosphere and ambience within the restaurant itself is so warm and relaxing that we instantly feel better as soon as we walk in. It doesn't matter where you sit, though the booths are really comfortable and intimate. Even sitting around the bar area eating your meal is great, if it's particularly busy.
For us, the best bit about Zen is the service provided by the staff.
All the staff working here are absolutely charming, extremely courteous, always smiling and a real pleasure to see every week. They also work very very hard!
The manager who we know as "Ert" is an absolute delight, and she always finds time to give us a big smile and say hello - she has a great team of staff and they're all worthy of praise.
Many thanks and see you soon! J and D xx

Visited October 2013
Spennymoor, England, United Kingdom
“My most frequently visited Thai restaurant.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

My fourth visit to the Restaurant, most recently on a First Date with my girlfriend. Chose this restaurant to make a very good impression - and it did not fail to do so. Boking was quickly and efficiently taken over the phone prior to the meal, and we were shown to a table immediately on arrival. Choice of cocktails was vast for my partner, and she complimented on her 'Champagne Mojito' being one of the best Mojito's she had ever experienced. Our order was taken quickly and our shared starter arrived beautifully presented in a Wicker Basket very speedily. The mixture of tastes within the dish were a first time experience for my self confessed 'picky eater' of a girlfriend, however not a scrap was left. Our mains also did not disappoint. Due to the vast selection, I have always tried to experience a different dish on every visit to the restaurant, and my 'Giggling Prawn' was the perfect mixture of fresh seasonable veg along with the freshest top quality seafood. My girlfiend's noodle dish als went down a treat, and the only reson anything was left on the plate to take away was due to the generous portions we both recieved. My payment was taken by card swiftly and securely by a wireless PIN machine, and although in the more expensive range of restaurants I can afford to visit - definitely worth every penny!!!

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank ChristopherStones
Spennymoor, England, United Kingdom
“Very nice all round !!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

Me and my partner went here on one of our first dates. Very nice décor and layout. Staff were more than friendly and attended to us straight away. I ordered a champagne Mojito and it was one of the bet mojito's I had tasted. Very nice. We ordered food and within a short space of time it arrived. It was very tasty and the smells that fill the restaurant are unbelievable. Our mains were also faultless and would definitely go back again. As for a few comments on being overpriced? ...You pay for what you get I'd say. Very good standard across the board!

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Melody B
Durham
“Steady good service and nice food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

We went to Zen on a friday evening it was busy and I was pleased we had made a reservation. Staff were pleasant and if anything too attentive as they kept repeating things like "do you need drinks" etc. However meal was lovely not the cheapest but very good quality and I felt it was freshly prepared. No complaints lovely evening. We had the shared stater and then my wife had the monkfish I had green thai curry. Bill was about £46 with one glass of wine.

• Visited September 2013