“Nice place, shame about the food.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Zen

Zen
Ranked #16 of 304 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Brunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Nice place, shame about the food.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2011

The decor is modern and nice... Although a little too much hustle and bustle going on. The staff are friendly but obviously kept too busy to give each table the attention you'd expect for the money. The food could be brilliant but crinkle cut carrots obviously from frozen and bland one-chicken-for-all construction of dishes really lets it down. I won't be going back.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
1,215 restaurant reviews
“Absolutely awful go to Central Thai”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2011

The food at this place is about as authentic as a packet of Vesta curry,.
The staff are miserable.
The table layout and cutlery are so tacky
Definitely style over substance

• Visited May 2011
Bradford, United Kingdom
“This restaurant has an interesting and tempting menu but is let down by poor service and disinterested staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2011

This was our third visit to Zen and on this occasion we were taking our daughter, who is a student at the University, out for a meal to celebrate her Birthday. We arrived at a very quiet time, 6.30pm on Sunday and as a consequence, the restaurant had hardly any diners and was lacking in atmosphere. I would have thought, that as they were quiet, we would have received a warm welcome and good service. Whilst being courteous, the staff weren't particularly friendly or quick to bring our drinks whilst we looked at the menu. I chose Chilli Fish Cakes to start and was disappointed that they were lacking in flavour and rather soggy. However, my choice of main, Peking Duck, was absolutely delicious. There was a good quantity of marinated and sliced duck in a spicy orange curry sauce with grapes, lychees and pineapple, in fact, the portion was so large, I couldn't finish it! I do wonder if this restaurant is properly managed, no-one asked us if we were enjoying our meals and happy with them and there was no evidence of a Restaurant Manager. I would definitely rate this restaurant more highly if I felt the diners were more valued and their satisfaction, more important to the staff.

• Visited June 2011
London
“Disgusing service - not worth another visit”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2011

I have been coming to Zen from time to time while my daughter is at university and prior to this year it was always a good place to come to - not London standard Thai/Chinese but OK. I even booked Zen for her graduation lunch this year. Well - never again. I came up this weekend to see her and she tried to book to be told "we do not have tables between 5.30 - 9.30 pm. Strange - as it's examination period for students and although not an exclusively student restaurant they do represent many of the customers. We arrived at 5.45. The restaurant was empty save for 2 tables. "Sit at the bar only" was offered to our party of 5. My husband pointed out the restaurant was empty. Reluctantly we were allowed a table "But you must leave in 2 hours". She then had the temerity to repeat it to me and my guests. The food was less than average and more expensive than I remembered. There was no real choice. We were only too glad to leave and never come back. Needless to say I have cancelled the reservation for graduation day.

• Visited May 2011
1 Thank BGCLondon
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Tasty food in a lovely spot”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2011

I've visted Zen a few times now but always through the day. The menu has a really wide selection of treats for you to sample...I love the prawn toasts and Pad Thai. Nice friendly staff and the location is great. Tucked away in a quiet street, if the weather is good you can sit outside. Lovely ambience inside with diners not squashed in. I'd have no problem recommending this place and will definitely go back for morw.

• Visited April 2011