“Would stay again, but not at that price!”

The Town House Durham
Ranked #4 of 38 Durham B&B and Inns
“Would stay again, but not at that price!”
Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

First impressions were ok, then we got shown to our room, i may have watched too many episodes of 'hotel inspector' but it wasn't up to scratch. Shower could have done with a bit of a deep clean and the plughole was blocked which resulted in the water leaking onto the floor, no marks on the sink taps to differentiate between hot and cold, the bathroom floor was starting to sink causing the tiles to crack, toilet seat had seen better days, curtain rings missing, cord loops on bathrobes hanging off. My breakfast of eggs benedict was good except for the tough bacon and my other half informed me the Durham Grill didn't taste grilled but fried in too much vegetable oil. We have stayed in many, much cheaper hotels and not been this disappointed. £220 is too much for whats on offer.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank goldenvirgin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Visited here for lunch with friends this weekend. Whilst the surroundings are nice and the service ok (although it wasn't very busy) the food is a massive let down...I had the beetroot and goats cheese tart to start which was essentially a bought in tiny pastry case in which they had placed a slice of beetroot and a small piece of goats cheese (not even a whole small round!) and heated it in the oven....no garnish or salad...very disappointing for the nearly £7 price! For main I had "cow pie" which was a puff pastry lid atop a stew of very fatty beef, three pieces of carrot and a small dollop of mash - again, very disappointing. I would describe this a more local pub food, not restaurant food at all, there are far better places to eat in Durham than this let down. Sorry!

Room Tip: This is a restaurant review only, we did not stay at the hotel.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank GOODfoodlover123
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I booked an overnight stay in le jardin for my boyfriend's birthday, the room was incredible. Quirky but still very cosy and luxurious! The staff were very welcoming and extremely helpful and polite and as mentioned in previous reviews even offered to carry our bags. We arrived a bit before check in and had no change for parking and the hotel kindly changed some money for us. Arriving at our room we were greeted with a named letter informing us of attractions, things to do and names of other pubs and restaurants. The picnic hamper in the room was a very thoughtful touch and nice surprise. We ate breakfast the following morning which was delicious and cooked to perfection. The whole stay was very enjoyable and we felt as we were in a different world. I must admit he shower was one of my favourite things. Would definitely return time and time again! Thanks Gadds townhouse and your brilliant staff!

• Stayed March 2013
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We recently visited here for afternoon tea, when we booked we were told under no uncertain terms could we just turn up and expect afternoon tea, that they needed to know in advance how many people it would be for. We booked for three but let them know that a couple more would be coming who would just be having a drink at the bar and not partaking in the afternoon tea. When we arrived we were squished together on two tiny tables. There were 6 of us, we were told they would bring us another table, this never appeared. Also when booking we asked what the choices of sandwiches were, we were told we would choose on the day out of a option of beef, ham and other choices. We explained that one of the party and the person the whole thing was for was a little fussy with their food, so beef and ham etc would be perfect for them.

The service here was not brilliant, like I say, we booked for three people to have the tea but only two cups of tea were brought out, when asked if I wanted a drink from the bar I said no because I would just be drinking my tea provided, I later had to order the tea as none ever appeared . Also two trays of sandwiches and cakes were brought out, we thought ok maybe they just think its for two people and as the rest of us were not too bothered we just shared what was given to us, the sandwiches were ok, but we were given no choice as we had been told, we had tuna, cheese, salmon or prawn, so the person the occasion was for basically had cheese sandwiches as she didnt like anything else. The cakes were not fantastic, a bit dry, no jam was provided with the scones and we were also provided two shot glasses with a dessert in them. When we came to pay the bill they tried to charge us for FIVE people, we explained that we had booked for three and really we had only thought two afternoon teas had come out, there was no where near enough for five people! We told them that when we booked we had to give the specific number for afternoon teas which we had done, still they went on to say the food that we had given to us was the amount for five people. In the end when they checked our booking they agreed to let us pay for three as originally planned. The look of the hotel is nice but this has put me off going back again, service was extremely poor.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank SajoUk
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Me and my mum went here for New Years eve dinner. The restaurant itself has an outstanding interior that left us very impressed. We waited in the bar area and had a drink before getting taken to our table in the restaurant. The told us they were really busy that evening but they managed to make the meal feel relaxed and almost like private dining. The food was delicious and well worth the price. The steak was perfectly cooked and the dessert was mouth watering. Excellent resturant for a special occasion, well worth the experience as well as the food!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 3, 2013

I booked high tea here as a treat for elderly parents visiting the city. I'd called the hotel in the morning to arrange this. The sandwiches tasted fresh but were uninspiring (cheese & pickle, ham & tomato and tuna) with a selection of what can only be described as Mr Kipling's cakes, heavy, doughy scones and a shop bought sliced lemon cake. At £12 a head, quite frankly, I wished I'd just gone to M&S. I have rang the hotel to express my disappointment. I was told by the person I spoke to that they weren't on duty at the time we arrived so they didn't see the food go out and would speak to the kitchen about it. The ambience was the best thing about it. I had high expectations of both the food and the handling of my complaint and in my view they fail miserably on both fronts. Go here if you want to be completely ripped off in beautiful surroundings but I wouldn't recommend it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank crispy874
Halifax, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Great Hotel, lovely staff, nice food, great company at the bar. She definitely put a well needed smile on my face. Would deffinitley stay again. The Indigo Room was lovely, nice comfy bed, nice layout to the boutique style, and loved the naughty little shower room, I can't tell you what it is because of your stopping it will spoil the surprise, but perfect for Romantic couples looking for a roll around away. x

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business