2,976 results
All reviewsbusiness classthe riverbusiness roomfree drinkscar parkcity centrestandard roommodern hotelacross the bridgegood sizemini barsauna and steam roomleisure facilitiesper nightexcellent hotelbars and restaurantspoached eggs
Reviewed August 29, 2009

Large hotel that is modern and up-to-date. I had a standard room with two twins put together to form seamless King for 89 pounds a night which included an English breakfast (so expensive). I stayed a total of 12 nights and costed me around 1100 pounds which included several articles of clothing for washing at 20 pounds then 50 pence per phone call which I hung up as soon as I called and each time you touch or take from the fridge it charges you (can add up and expensive). They were more than happy to take off any charges for things I didn't consume at check out. I put my own water in their fridge so each time I took my own water it charged me but they were understanding and worked with me. Just keep an honest log. You can view you charges via the TV in the room. The restaurant inside the hotel has awesome food from the menu but the buffet I found that the pizza was the best thing there to eat. The breakfast is the same thing offered each day. The desserts are yummy as well (the expense whether eating in the hotel or out it costed me 20-24 pounds so expensive). I had the tart twice which changes and I had the Italian cheese twice. If you visit the water you will need a pound coin to use the lockers but you get it back. The hot tub was nice and so was the pool. They also have a sauna and a steam room both of which were nice to try out. Steamy and very hot as they should be. Parking is not free if you stay overnight and should be included you'd think for the price you pay there. You can request river view and it's an awesome view of river Wear and the Cathedral. There is a Market place, shopping and food places within a 10-15 minute walk from the hotel. Saturday morning they have vendors in the square near Durham Market and the Pub. They have a gym which I didn't use and you can pay to have a massage and other procedures. The hotel is in a great location and it's peaceful, quiet and I felt safe. The one thing I did notice was that my sheets were not changed one time and wonder if they were ever. They also knocked on my door and I said that someone was in the room and they let themselves in my room and I told them not to let themselves in and she apologized and asked if everything was okay. I don't know what gave her the idea that something was wrong. So, that was odd. I locked my suitcases anytime I left the room. There was some sort of alarm that went off in or outside our door which was another disturbance. The point is to use the clean my room or do not disturb sign and even lock your door when in the room. Expect to not have screens on your windows. Expect to hear the bells of the Cathedral go off if you stay a few days. Expect your room will more than likely be cleaned between 9-11am I'd say. I was i room 101 my first night but moved from there because I wanted river view and was then moved to 246 after they put me in a room a few doors down which didn't have a window that opened up. 246 had a lovely view and two windows that opened up. I was very pleased overall with my two week stay there. They even arrange for their own personal taxi to drive me to the airport New Castle airport casted an big 45 pounds so don't tip. Room service was fairly quick except when they were real busy with room service one weekend it took about an hour. The one touch phone service if you need something went well and they were very helpful. You can split your payment up if you need to between payment methods. They have free wifi as well. I'll stay there again for sure. Most hotels are in old buildings so you get teeny tiny rooms but these rooms are spacious. Overall the stay was wonderful with only a few hiccups and if you address matters they will correct it as promptly as they can. You can even leave housekeeping a nice kind letter sharing your concern and requesting the sheets be changed as I did and they did it for me. Very nice of them.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed August 28, 2009

I stayed at this hotel for 3 days on 24/08/09 in room no 123. On arrival the hotel seems impressive. But after settling in the problems start to show. Firstly every time you park your car you have to get a new ticket and then queue at the reception to have it validated in order to leave each time. The cost is £6.50 per day. The rooms are very spacious but the beds are too soft for a decent nights sleep.The tea making facilities and toiletry products are very sparse.In the bathroom there is no soap dish. The toilet roll was never replaced with a full roll. Passing a room one morning we saw a male cleaner cleaning the tea spoons with his polo shirt!!! On checking out of the hotel the receptionist gave us the bill which included five items from the mini-bar. We told the receptionist we had never used the mini-bar.She deleted the items but with no apology. The majority of the items in the mini-bar were out of date, yoghurts July 09, Coca cola April 09 etc.. It was obvious they had never been checked. For such a large chain of hotels there was a lack of customer care and focus.The in- house management was appalling. It is a shame as it could be such a lovely place to stay. The staff and management let down the Radisson chain.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TarletonRandR
Reviewed August 27, 2009

I have stayed here on a number of occasions since the hotel opened in late 2008. The hotel is well located - ask for a front facing room as the view over the river and castle beats looking out onto the rear car park.

The rooms are fine and cleaned well and are large. Very skimpy with toiletries which run to a tiny shower gel, a shampoo and miniture bar of soap.

The bar is Ok but at over £5 for a small glass of wine or pint of beer a few peanuts wouldnt go amiss

The food here is simply awful - way overpriced and of poor quality and often lukewarm and poorly cooked. Its a real let down - waiting staff are few and far between and have no knowledge of the menu whatsoever

Worst of all is the totally inept service experienced from arrival through to departure, check in is slow and misleading. You actuially have to pay £100 deposit to order anything on your room. In all my experience a credit card is asked for but never before have I actually had a deposit taken from my account. Admittingly this was refunded a few days later but all the same...

The staff are quite well meaning but chaotic and not at all customer focussed. I knew more than the barman regarding which wines were red and which were white

I had dinner there twice and although almost empty we waited almost 30 minutes for our order to be taken and when the food arrived it was laughable

Having stayed in other Radisson hotels this one is a poor relation and but for its location and leisure centre I would not recommend

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank gpd202
Reviewed August 26, 2009

We stayed at this hotel for a weekend in April. We were generally very pleased with the hotel. It was almost brand new and very modern.The rooms were spacious and immaculately clean. Our bathroom towels were changed regularly and the bed was a good size and comfortable. We enjoyed the hotel breakfast, although we had booked bed and breakfast and did not have to pay for it seperately. We only ate in the restaurant once and felt it was quite good. The hotel was close to the city centre and next to the river.
We travelled to Durham from Norfolk and nearly did not book this hotel as they could not guarantee a parking space. We arrived on a Friday afternoon and luckily there were lots of spare spaces. However, by Saturday the car park was full and it would have been difficult to get a space. We were also disappointed that we had to pay to park our car in the car park.
The hotel atmosphere is very formal and appears to be geared up for business people. While this may give off a "professional" impression, we were on a holiday and felt that most of the hotel staff were very serious and not very friendly or cheerful.
Overall, a very good base for exploring Durham and the surrounding area. Probably better for business use!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 17, 2009

This is a lovely hotel, clean very modern only maybe 1 - 2 years old. Our room was a standard room but was a very good size and very comfortable, spotlessy clean had everything you needed including a mini bar. We did not eat at the hotel so we could not rate the restaurant but it looked very nice. We had a very good nightly rate and would definately stay again.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple