“Nearly perfect”

Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Durham
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Nearly perfect”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

My partner and I stayed here over the New Year period. The room was fantastic. I upgraded to a business class room which entitled you to free drinks between 5:30 and 7, and it was quite worthwhile as the price of alcohol was rather expensive, as per any hotel. It was a great location, overlooking the river and the castle/cathedral. The only problem we had during this stay was the restaurant associated with the hotel was closed during the Christmas period, which I think was rather odd. Luckily Durham has an abundance of restaurants so we were not disappointed.
The breakfast was also a little disappointing. Not because of choice, as there was a large selection of foods, but the service was rather strange. I asked for a poached egg which took 15 minutes and the lady had forgotten where she took the order from as there were no table numbers, so she kept going around the tables looking for my "face". This should be improved, as many guests did comment on this. However, there were sufficient staff to cope with all guests needs and they were attentive, albeit a tad slow. I would however stay here again.

Room Tip: Upgrade to business class. Yes it is more money, but the free drinks and great views make up for the...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank travelfanatic1982
NHollowayGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Durham, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Thank you for your review of the hotel.
Hopefully next time we will get 5 out of 5 as that is what we are always striving to achieve.
I have taken your commenst on board though and will use them as motivation for the team
I look forward to seeing you again soon
Neal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (578)
  • Turkish first
Cumbria
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed here on a visit to our family, and decided to go by train in view of the potential for snow - which duly arrived. The hotel was warm, and all the staff were friendly.
Check in was quick, the room was spacious with a river view (which was lovely to look out on) although the room was warmer than we are used to.

Breakfast was amazing, so much to choose from that we had to restrain ourselves.

And the gym and pool were brilliant

Room Tip: Overlooking the river is recommended
1 Thank TheRunningClub
Thank you for your 5 star review of the hotel!
I am glad that you had a great stay with u and enjoyed out breakfast buffet immensely!
I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon
England, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I booked one night at the Radisson Blu Hotel Durham in the January sale, at half price, simply to see what this hotel has to offer.

I was impressed by its proximity to the city centre and the spacious, quiet room. The decor of this hotel is classically middle-of-the-road but modern, and the bed is comfortable. This is a good base for exploring Durham if you don't have to pay the rack rates, which I think are on the high side for this city.

The buffet breakfast, which included the option of ordering Craster Kippers, was first class and a highlight of staying here. The restaurant staff were polite and professional.

The gym is well-equipped for a session of cardio-vascular training and the 15-metre pool good enough for a few lengths before heading into the sauna and jacuzzi. Disappointingly, the steam bath was not switched on (and no explanation offered). Frankly I would have expected better from a hotel which is aiming to impress guests with its all round quality.

I didn't drink in the bar as Durham has lots of good pubs, but it looks to provide the comfort and service you'd expect from a major hotel.

All told, I enjoyed my stay and would consider returning if I see a similar deal in the future, but not at the full rack rate.

Newcastle
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I don't normally write reviews but after staying at the radisson I said I would make the effort! I stayed here with me girlfriend for her bday and were both quite local and know Durham pretty well!
The hotel is in a perfect location of the centre, once over the bridge in front of the hotel and up afew steps your where all the bars and restaurants are! This was very convenient as we went for a meal then onto the bars and didn't have to worry about taxis! Literally a 5minute walk!
Upon booking I requested a river view room (advisable) and that's exactly what we got! Perfect view of the river and the snow on the riverbanks was truly picturesque! The hotel room was very clean, tidy and modern which us exactly what we like!
The swimming pool area is also brilliant , hot tub, sauna and steam room all in working order (not very common in our experience)! But the style of the pool is also very modern!
There was a deal on when I booked so breakfast was included! Breakfast was perfect, everything you could ask for, every juices, cereals, breads and pastries! The hot breakfast dishes were also lovely and despite other comments we found them hot and just fine!
Finally the service was excellent! Check in was quick and simple, parking charge was £7 despite signs outside showing 24hours £12. The next morning we were pretty hungover and wanted to use the pool facilities and check out time was 12oclock, we asked reception if we could have a later checkout and what the charge would be.... They then said we could check out at 2 free of charge!!!!
Overall we had a perfect weekend and will definitely come back to this hotel! For those couple looking for a romantic stay and a night out in Durham this is the hotel for you!!!!

• Stayed January 2013
NHollowayGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Durham, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Im very pleased that our 600th review on Trip Advisor was a good one and worth 5 stars!
I am happy that you enjoyed all aspects of you stay and that you had a chance to enjoy all our facilities by the sounds of it.
I hope its not too long before we welcome you back to the hotel.
Co Durham
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I booked this hotel on a promotion offer. I had a great double room, king size very comfortable bed with a view over the river and towards the castle and cathedral. The hotel is very central for the city with a pedestrian bridge across the river straight outside the front doors. The place is spotless. Check in was easy and quick as was booking out, staff pleasant and efficient. The breakfast was plentiful and catered for everyone, fruits, cold meats and cheeses, pastries, and self service English with additional choices of kippers, smoked haddock. The restaurant staff were attentive and replenished available food regularly. The leisure facilities are very good and well used. I am staying again in two weeks

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your 5 star review of the hotel.
I am glad you enjoyed our super breakfast and we look forward to welcoming you back again in two weeks.
Rawtenstall, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 20, 2013

We usually stay at the Marriot in Durham when visiting on business. This time we tried the Radisson Blu - and it was a pleasant change. We'll be staying there again. Very friendly service and the free internet access, free movies and beer/wine that came with the business upgrade is well worth it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Mark F
Thank you for the 5 star review of the hotel.
I am pleased you chose us over our competitiors in Durham!
I hope that this continues and we welcome you through our doors many more times to come.
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Just spent one night at the hotel ,it was booked as a surprise for my husbands 50TH birthday .
check in was fast and friendly,i had booked direct with the hotel in a business class room and the communication from Stephanie via email was great and Stephanie we had a few drinks for you as promised .Brilliant customer service.
Room was excellent and spacious and the birthday card left in the room was a lovely touch.
Staff in the bar were great .
My only complaint was the breakfast ,that let the whole hotel down the hot breakfast items were barely warm and could have done with a quick blast in a microwave to heat it fully and sadly we had to leave most of it as it was very off putting .staff again were happy to help when asked for milk for tea (that wasnt hot either). We will return lets just hope the breakfast is hot.

Room Tip: ask for a river view .we live in Durham and see the castle and cathedral so often we forget how impo...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends