“Cosy, comfortable and friendly bed and breakfast”

Moor End Guest House
Ranked #2 of 40 Durham B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 6, 2013

A great place to stay. Owners are helpful and friendly and leave you to get on with your day. Room was warm, cosy and comfortable and clean with plenty of towels. Breakfasts were excellent with plenty of choice. Definately recommend a stay there!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank a p

Reviewed March 2, 2013

I was planning a solo trip to Durham and found Moor End via TripAdvisor. I emailed Debbie and Martin for some details as I'd be arriving pretty late in the evening: they said as pre-arranged this would be fine. Met on arrival by Debbie who was very welcoming even though it was near to 10pm!

Room was lovely and relaxing, decor bright but not fussy, breakfast was plentiful and very tasty, wide range of options (cereals, cooked breakfasts, hot drinks etc): met Martin serving breakfast who was as pleasant as Debbie. Coffee served in individual cafetieres, Martin even prompting me for some more (which I appreciated greatly!)

On departure I explained about a random channel-changing quirk on the TV in my room which Martin noted (was the first chance I'd had to explain so in fairness to Martin and Debbie no opportunity for them to do anything about it). I also highlighted that a surcharge for paying by card (listed on my invoice which I got on the first night) wasn't mentioned on their website: Martin took this with good grace, explained the reasoning for them having to levy the charge (short story it would seem to me the card issuers are price gouging!) - given all the outright positive points, and that when I raised some issues I was dealt with more than cordially would definitely recommend for anyone to stay at Moor End if they're in the area, and if I re-visit Durham I'll definitely have a look at staying there myself.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Paul E
Reviewed February 24, 2013

A lovely place to stay. Clean, friendly, comfortable and great attention to detail e.g. Mention what kind of tea you like and the very next morning it's there...right down to the brand! Breakfasts are great too!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Vancouverite B
Reviewed February 21, 2013

We had a perfect stay.
The rooms are really lovely, well furnished and clean; the breakfast was great and served in a delicious small lounge.
The owner is downright kind.
We will join this Guest House for sure as soon as we visit Durham again!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Cary_Grant_84
Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

My fiancé & I stayed at Moor End for a mini break for my birthday & had the most enjoyable relaxing time here. The rooms & decor are so quaint & charming and I've never been able to 'chill out' in a hotel as much as I did here. The hotel is well kept, clean & tidy with the most beautiful dining room & fireplace!! Debbie & Martin were fantastic, they were so accommodating & have great knowledge to share about Durham, where to go, where to eat etc. The best part of our stay had to be when Martin & Debbie offered to set a table up for us to eat a take away downstairs - but we came back to the most beautiful & romantic setting with our table laid out perfectly & the (real!) fire & candles lit. We have never had such a wonderful meal & this was definitely way above & beyond what we expected with no trouble at all. The breakfasts were fantastic - no greasy Joe's cafe here. This little charming guest house is a gorgeous find & run by a lovely couple who really know how to welcome you & make you feel at home. Most definitely recommended, great value & great location too :)

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank LouLou8824
Reviewed January 15, 2013

We booked into Moor End Guesthouse as a treat for my fiancées birthday. One evening we returned to find a birthday card from the owners accompanied by a bottle of wine and two glasses! Another evening we mentioned about getting a takeaway to bring back and were told there would be a table set up for us - not only was it laid with cutlery and glasses but ice in a bucket, a jug of water, and several silver curry dishes warmed by tea light candles!!

It exceeded our expectations, the owners are not too intrusive as you may expect from a 'guest house' of this size but at the same time they were very welcoming and friendly.

The room was fantastic, very clean and decorated to a tasteful standard. The breakfasts were very good with a great selection. Commuting into Durham could be a slight problem if you don't like paying for parking (same everywhere though!) & dont like buses - approx £7 each way in a taxi otherwise. That said, we are told of a regular bus service but we chose to drive in the daytime instead which only took 5 minutes. The disadvantage of staying bang in the centre would be restricted parking and the parking is readily available at Moor End.

All in all I'd highly recommend Moor End Guesthouse and it will be the first place I look at if we decide to return to Durham!

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank Chris11111111
Reviewed November 25, 2012

A really lovely guest house owned by a genuine couple. We came up to Durham to visit our son who is at Uni but knew we couldn't arrive until 9:30pm. It was absolutely no problem for Martin even though it was a Friday night!! We stayed in the delightful Family room nestled at the top of the house. The full english breakfast was absolutely fantastic - so much, we didn't need lunch. Highly recommended.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family