“Convenient, clean and friendly.”

Premier Inn Durham City Centre
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Durham
Coleshill
“Convenient, clean and friendly.”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Stayed here for two nights while visiting the city. It is conveniently located although a little tricky to find by car and the adjacent public car parking overnight is expensive despite the hotel having a discount scheme. It's the first time I've stayed at a Premier Inn and I was pleasantly surprised: the hotel was clean and the room spacious and well-equipped. The bed was a little too hard for my taste and I don't like soap and shampoo dispensers in hotel bathrooms but these were minor points. The breakfasts were excellent and the staff (especially the breakfast team) were helpful, courteous and always smiling. I'll use it again without any hesitation.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
Bury, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 8, 2013

This P Inn is in a great location especially if you intend to go to the Gala Theatre/ Cinema which is just around the corner. The city centre is walking distance too and the Castle bus (50p) stops outside regularly. Apart from the location all the usual P Inn facilities etc are as expected. Worth the money especially if you can get £29 night for room.Food is ok but theres plenty of choice close to the hotel so its worth shopping around. Plenty do breakfast much cheaper.

Room Tip: If your room overlooks the bin store ask to move if you are a late riser.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jae55
Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

I had an extremely bad experience at this hotel. Upon checking in there was a female receptionist who was polite and very helpful. It was after this the service went down hill. I was waiting to go in the lift to my room, there was a member if housekeeping behind me who shouted at the top of her voice down the corridor to another member of housekeeping that she was sick, had a 'crap' day and couldn't wait to finish her shift. I understand that not everyone enjoys their job but to announce it in such a way infront of guests i though was extremely unprofessional. That night we went into durham upon returning we were met by a miserable rude receptionist who made us show her our room key to prove that we were staying in the hotel, she did not believe us as the key did not open the door which was not at all down to us. We had a bottle of wine which we were planning on enjoying in the room but were told she would not permit this which i did not understand at all. The next day there was a extremely rude woman banging on the door, when we answered it she said it was time to check out and if we didn't we would have to pay for another night. I simply thought that this must be another angry housekeeper who wanted to get home, however i later found out it was the general manager. At this point it was clear why all of the staff were so rude and fed up, if the general manager of the hotel treat her guests in this way the staff weren't going to be any better. i have stayed in the hotel afew times previously about a year ago and had a great stay with great service. Since then it has went down hill rapidly and i would never return.

• Stayed January 2013
5 Thank Daniellelouise87
WhitbreadHotels, Online Customer Service at Premier Inn Durham City Centre, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Thank you for your review. At Premier Inn it remains our main objective to deliver a high standard of customer service and I am sorry to learn that we have failed on this occasion. Please be assured at Premier Inn we take all feedback seriously and we would like the opportunity to investigate further. Please email your details including your reservation number to talktous@premierinn.com and we will follow this up with our Management Team. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.
Glasgow
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Comfortable stay, close to town centre. Large room and clean. The price for the end of January was higher than I expected (without breakfast) for Durham but it was quiet and I could sleep well. Breakfast would have been an expensive add-on but I didn't take any as there are plenty of much cheaper full breakfasts around town.

Room Tip: I was in a room next to the stair well and was awakened at least once by the door banging. If the h...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I stayed with my husband for one night on a Saturday, this is our 2nd visit and once again lovely clean comfotable room ,great location and friendly helpful staff.Our room this time looked out on to the slug and lettuce pub which I thought may be a problem later in the evening but I never heard any noise at all.Will be booking again very soon.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 1, 2013

I was staying there to visit family and am glad I didn't have to stay in my room for too long.
I wasn't expecting lots due to how cheap it was to stay there but expected a bit more than what I had.
I was in a double room but could not sprawl across the bed as it was 2 singles attached together and the mattresses were unequal which was uncomfortable.
My bathroom smelt of urine which wasn't very appealing and every time I walked past I could smell it.
It was good value if your not fussed by what I put above.

Room Tip: Don't go in room 204
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank RandomChlo
WhitbreadHotels, Online Customer Service at Premier Inn Durham City Centre, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Many thanks for your review. It really matters to us that our guests enjoy every aspect of their stay. We sincerely apologise that our hotel did not meet your expectations on this occasion . Your feedback is very much appreciated as it enables us to improve standards. Please be assured that the issues raised will be fully investigated by the Management Team at this hotel. Thank you once again for your review.
Rochdale
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Stayed here on a very snowy January Friday night whilst visiting our daughter who is a student at Durham University. The room was clean, warm and comfortable with a nice ensuite bathroom. The staff were welcoming,helpful and very pleasant and there was secure, covered parking close by. Although close to all the nightlife of the city (and there was obviously a stag night party staying in the hotel too) we heard no noise during the night. We didn't breakfast in the hotel as we went to meet our daughter, so can't comment on the food.
It cost £29 for our room which we booked online and I feel this was very good value.

Room Tip: The rooms are colour coded by the hotel as regards the likelihood of being disturbed by noise from c...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple