“Very nice stay”
Review of Park Hotel

Park Hotel
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Barnstaple
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Stayed in September at this hotel for 3 nights over a weekend with a group of ladies. It overlooks the park at the front, the car park and a churchyard at the back. My room at the rear, a standard double used for single occupancy, was comfortable and quiet though could not be called spacious. Some friends were in rooms at front which were more roomy.

The staff were very good all round. Peter, Steve and Awad (unsure of spelling, sorry) were ready to go the extra mile to make us comfortable. The place was spotless throughout, so thank you to the house keeping staff. The food was very good too, so thanks to the kitchen and dining room staff. The breakfasts were very nicely cooked and presented, with a good range of choices. We had dinner there one evening too and that was superb.

I was a little surprised at check out to be told that the £3 charge on my bill which I didn't remember incurring was a surcharge for one of the breakfast choices I'd made. I hadn't seen this on the breakfast menu but I must admit that I didn't examine every tiny word. I never did find out if it was for the smoked salmon and scrambled eggs, or the smoked haddock I had another day.

My other niggle is that there are 28 stairs to the first floor and no lift. For me this was a bit of a problem as my mobility is not good presently. From the website, The Park Hotel looks grand enough to have a lift. I know that is not sound reasoning, I should have asked. It is wise to check the access when it matters to you and not make assumptions.

I wouldn't stay here again because of the stairs, but I would recommend The Park Hotel to anyone who had the mobility to cope with them. And I would certainly dine at the restaurant again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed October 15, 2013

I booked the Park Hotel online at the suggestion of a very helpful receptionist,we chose a superior room overlooking a very nice park and close to the river.We were greeted warmly upon our arrival and a most helpful member of staff carried our rather bulky case upto our room,which was nicely decorated,clean and comfortable.
There was a good menu selection and were served by very friendly staff who seem to actually enjoy working at the hotel. We stayed for 3 nights and can recommend the more than adequate breakfast that we both struggled to eat due to quantity not quality, as the food was delicious and nicely presented yet again.
The hotel may not be 5 star,but is great value, reasonably priced,close to Exmoor and many other beautiful sights so worth considering.The friendly staff are exceptional and the free wi-fi was appreciated although it does keep dropping out!

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the park are probably the best.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 13, 2013

A pleasure in every way, from the first phone call to check out, nothing was too much trouble for The Park Hotel & their staff.
In addition to being spotlessly clean throughout, the food was excellent (two Dinners & two beakfast) & it was a pleasure to deal with the staff who, without exception, were polite, helpful, attentive, smiling, friendly & local.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
BrendHotels, General Manager at Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2013

Thank you for your pleasing review regarding your recent stay with us. It is great to hear that you had such and enjoyable time and were so pleased with all aspects of your stay.

We are glad you chose to stay with us and hope to welcome you back in the near future for another enjoyable visit.

Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

This was the second visit to the Park Hotel and it has maintened its very high standard. All the staff were excellent. Room overlooked the park and was immaculate. The hotel provides free wifi and parking that some others charge for. The food was so good and plentifull (that my diet starts now). Highly recommended.

• Stayed: October 2013
BrendHotels, General Manager at Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2013

Thank you for your review of your second stay with us. I am pleased that you chose to return and enjoyed it as much as before. It is lovely to hear that the standards we set are being maintained and we hope you will return for many more enjoyable stays with us.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

I have been staying at this Hotel for over 20 years and have always received excellent customer service and attention from all, therefore would recommended the Park Hotel, Barnstaple to anyone visiting the area.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I didn't stay here but I used to live in North Devon and the Park Hotel Carvery was a favourite of ours well over 10 years ago. We had to return to sample their mid-week carvery, reasonably priced for Seniors at £6.50. We were not disappointed. There were two choices of meat and many different vegetables, gorgeous stuffing, roast potatoes and yorkshire puddings. I can still taste it now, a week later (and I don't mean indigestion!). The staff are always attentive, courteous and well-trained. The decor is comfortable and smart without being pretentious. We really enjoyed our visit and hope to return again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 18, 2013

We usually choose a Brend Hotel when in Devon or Cornwall they always adhere to a certain standard-appropriately dressed and welcoming well-trained waiting staff and clean accommodation. We chose not to eat dinner here as we have become rather tired of the limited choice of vegetables (there is always a mixed dish of courgettes/tomatoes which I cannot stand) but their meat is always top class including the bacon/sausage at breakfast. We booked on line this time which left us with "room only" so I chose a continental breakfast and my other half full cooked (at 8.30am). There was a hiccup, as after taking our order and providing toast and coffee "our" waiter disappeared off to lay up for lunch and we were left waiting until we were noticed by a lady. Unsurprisingly the cooked was a little tired, the poached eggs hard centred and the two brown rolls I had ordered had been warmed in a microwave. One chewy roll was enough for me. My other half also lamented the lack of Grapefruit juice, (we checked and there was none on offer) although there was orange or apple juice. So overall rather disappointing this time but it won't stop us choosing Brends again in future.

Room Tip: the annexe is quiet but a trip across the car park for food. We were in double aspect 208(annexe) qu...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank paula b
BrendHotels, General Manager at Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

Thank you for your review on your recent stay with us. I apologise that you found your visit not up to our usual standards and assure you that your comments have been noted and will be addressed. We do change our vegetable selection each night to give our residents variation and apologise that your stays have always consisted of the selection you are not keen on. Please feel free to make any requests prior to dining and our chefs will be more than happy to compensate for any dishes that you dislike by replacing with something more to your taste. With regards to your breakfast experience I understand that your service was far from the standards we set, I will be sure to monitor the situation very closely over the next few weeks to ensure improvements are made. I hope that the unusual standards you recieved on this stay have not put you off returing to us in the future and look forward to welcoming you back to see the issues resolved.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Barnstaple
Barnstaple Hotel
Premier Inn Barnstaple Hotel
The Royal Hotel
The Royal Hotel
#2 of 11 in Bideford

Been to Park Hotel? Share your experiences!