“No complaints = 5*”
Review of Park Hotel

Park Hotel
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Barnstaple
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Booked this room on the day of arrival and was offered a rate of £40 including breakfast

Ample car parking front and rear

Reception was manned by at least two members of staff every time I came past which I think is very re-assuring for all guests.

Hotel generally was clean and tidy and well presented.

Bedroom was good, with a spacious bathroom and a decent shower - the latter is hard to find in hotels because of water pressures etc but a good shower is a necessity on a morning at 6-30am!

I booked a table for an evening meal, the bar had a good range of drinks and I had a Grolsch.

Menu was varied but not too much choice, which is good as it means you get better attention to detail because a chef can concentrate more on the 6-8 dishes he has to cook and prepare instead of 20+

Starter of cod fillet and then two fish fillets of the day with accompanyments - both were excellent.

Service - bow ties although smart were perhaps not required and gives an initial impression that it might be a bit posh, however the casual polite and talkative nature of the staff immediately alleviated any such aprehensions.

Good sleep in a good bed.

Breakfast was good. Nice selection of fruit and yoghurt, good coffee and a hearty breakfast which I couldnt finish due to it being generous.

Its not the Ritz, but its streets ahead of the hotel chains that dot the UK.

At £40 + evening meal you really cannot go wrong

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed January 30, 2013

The Park Hotel is outstanding. 'Stars' are predominantly awarded for facilities in hotels such as bedrooms incorporating a sitting room. If they were awarded for performance of the staff, smartness of dress, consistently high standards of 'customer care', kindness, consideration and thoughtfulness, attention to detail, cleanliness, helpfulness, excellent British fare, mainly locally sourced supporting the local community, this hotel would be awarded five stars!

Over the years I have been privileged to have stayed in some of the world's leading hotels but never have I found such sincerity, genuine kindness and thoughtfulness. The team is in the expert hands of the very capable Manager, Mr Peter Smale, who is well supported by his most excellent deputy, Mr Stuart Thurloe. All departments, Reception, Kitchen, Portering and Housekeeping are led by able, experienced Managers who have the enthusiasm and knowledge to nurture the newcomer.

I salute the Brend Family - the Park Hotel is one of the Brend group of hotels - they have a magic formula!

I came here as a flood victim just before Christmas 2012. I arrived bedraggled and shaking like a child after an awful experience: the valley where I live flooded to 4ft and my home became an island. I am the guest who came for dinner.........and six weeks later I am still here. Familiarity has not bred contempt - the standards have remained consistent. Thank you.

Room Tip: The garden annexe is a stroll away from the main hotel. Formerly a private home with a lovely atm...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 21, 2013

We had a big group staying with the hotel and 3 people were on gluten and dairy free diets. The hotel made all of us who had the odd food requests feel special and like it wasn't too much trouble. We had gluten free toast for breakfast and soya milk. For the specially catered 3 course celebration meal they made us our own starters, special gravy (without wheat) for the roast and two choices for pudding. It was lovely to stay somewhere that had great customer service and treated guests with kindness and options. I would definitely stay at the park hotel again. Thank you!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Dear Sir or Madam,
My initial review that was published on your site today has been repealed. I am resubmitting it, hope this time it will get approved.
On the 3rd Jan 2013 I stayed a night in the Park Hotel (Room 101), in the early hours of 9th Jan. 2013, ( probably 3am), I developed itchy spots on my right arm. I suspected they were bedbugs bites ( total 17 bites. Please see the attached picture), so I emailed to the Park Hotel on the 10th Jan. 2013 to report the incident. Please bear in mind, it depends on a person’s immune system, it will take a few days for the bites to show unlike mosquito bites, in my case, it took 6 days. Just to be sure they are bites not some sort of rash, I went to the GP to confirm, after examination by the GP, she confirmed that they were bites.( a medical report is available for a fee of 30 pounds)
After exchanging a few emails with total 4 pictures of my arm that was bitten attached with the Health and Safety Manager of the Park Hotel, he insists that there are no trace of bedbugs in the room 101 or 102. The truth is that I have not been to anywhere foreign except the Park Hotel, so there is no chance for me to get bitten elsewhere. And also If I had bedbugs at home, I would have been bitten before or ever since, but I haven’t.
I am not here to find troubles, we are all busy with our lives, I feel unfair and unjustified to be treated like this,As a customer staying in the hotel, you wouldn't expect yourself to be bitten, I asked the hotel for some refund, but they insist there are no bugs hence no refund ( when the GM of the hotel spoke to me on the phone last Friday 18/01/13). I have hence contacted the Citizen Advice Bureau who advised me to write a complaint letter and send it by recorded mail to the hotel according to the law "supply of goods and service ACT 1982" to get the matter sorted.So I shall have to do that soon.
And also there wasn't a decent duvet in the super king room that costs 105 pounds a night, just a shabby blanket in between bed sheets, so I was not impressed at all.
Please feel free to contact me if you need further information.
Yours sincerely
Tina Tu-Weale

Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank Tina T
BrendHotels, General Manager at Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2013

Dear Mrs Tu-Weale,
Please do not feel that your concerns were overlooked, they were taken very seriously. On receiving your initial email the room was thoroughly inspected by myself, the Health and Safety Manager of the Park hotel and the Health and Safety Manager of the whole Brend Group and as our emails assured you there was no trace or sign of bed bugs in the entire room. Bed bugs do not disappear quickly and are known to be very difficult to remove entirely, they house in places such as skirting boards, furnishings and bed heads and are not eliminated by the changing of sheets. There is no doubt that if they were there during your stay there would be remains or evidence at the time of inspection. To further our investigation and reassure you and ourselves we took the search to a wider perimeter and inspected the connecting room, being 102. Had there been the slightest trace there would have been no hesitation in offering what you were entitled to, being more than a full refund. However, I have the greatest confidence that these bites were not a result of your stay with us and therefore cannot compensate you. I am sorry for what you have suffered however, The Park Hotel was not the cause.

Regards

Pete Smale
Hotel Manager

Reviewed January 19, 2013

Stayed for 5 nights and thoroughly enjoyed all aspects of the trip. I felt that the staff were all excellent, extremely friendly but also very professional.
The room was clean and comfortable with a lovely view of the park opposite.
The quality of the food, both at breakfast and in the evening was first class.
On the day we were due to leave, we were unsure of our travel plans because of the poor weather conditions. The receptionist dealing with this,was extremely understanding and helpful.
This is the first time we have stayed in The Park Hotel, and we would welcome the opportunity to return!
Thank you to all the staff that we encountered for making our stay so enjoyable (including the three whose names we got to know, Steve, Dan and Howard)

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank slangdon15
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Just returned from a New Year break at the Park and can not rate this Hotel Too highly, the food , rooms, and most of all staff were all EXCELLENT, my wife and I take breaks 3 or 4 times a year and stop in 3 or 4 star hotels, this was our first Brend Hotel break and the the BEST we have stayed in.
The award of employee of 2012 must be awarded to Steve who made our stay, and the Manager for training the staff to such a high standard.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the park at frount on main road but no noise.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
BrendHotels, General Manager at Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2013

Thank you for your review regarding your New Years break with us. I am glad that you were so impressed with the hotel and the standard of service you recieived, hopefully it helped to make you New Years Celebration one to remember! We hope to welcome you back in the future either to us or to experience another Brend hotel for another enjoyable stay.

Reviewed December 21, 2012

We used to live in North Devon and were back for a function at the Park so decided to stay there. Functions is what the Park is about and it does them well enough but other residents have to compromise. Besides our function there was a birthday party - the room was being set up at 9 a.m. so only places to sit or eat were reception or bedroom.

Room Tip: If booking in conjunction with a function check function rate against internet rate- we found the la...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 4wheelsonmywagon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barnstaple
Barnstaple Hotel
Travelodge Barnstaple Hotel
The Royal Hotel
The Royal Hotel
#3 of 11 in Bideford

Been to Park Hotel? Share your experiences!