Park Hotel
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Barnstaple
Reviewed December 21, 2012

We used to live in North Devon and were back for a function at the Park so decided to stay there. Functions is what the Park is about and it does them well enough but other residents have to compromise. Besides our function there was a birthday party - the room was being set up at 9 a.m. so only places to sit or eat were reception or bedroom.

Room Tip: If booking in conjunction with a function check function rate against internet rate- we found the la...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 4wheelsonmywagon

Reviewed December 4, 2012

stayed at the park while working on upgrading the barnstaple railway line, was afternoon shifts so returning late at night (past midnight) and not up till 1pm. staff were brilliant, from those on the front desk, cleaners(who work there socks off) the waitresses in the dining room, bar staff hotel manager dan and assistant manager steve couldn't do enough for us!
if i ever work or for pleasure visit barnstaple or the surrounding area i'll be sure to stay at the park hotel.....
and im not even going to say anything about the food! lol best carvery ever, totally amazing

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
BrendHotels, General Manager at Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2012

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us. I am glad that we were able to make your stay enjoyable and that you were pleased with the service you recieved from all the staff. Thank you also for giving us yet another positive comment about our carvery! We look forward to welcoming you back in the future, either for work or pleasure.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

I recently stayed at the Park, when visiting Barnstaple. I lived in the area for 3 years and returned to meet up with a friend. The plan was to meet in the residents lounge for a drink and a quiet chat . On the afternoon in question,I went into the foyer to wait my friends arrival --only to find a childrens party taking place in the residents lounge ( and 6 children playing at "rolling" down the stairs !! in the foyer --no parents in sight !)--.
When I asked where I could go for a quiet drink/chat -I was informed that there were 2 evening events --so no residents lounge ??? Was invited to sit in the foyer-- a quiet chat with 6 children playing and then everyone arriving for 2 functions !!!!! My friend and I went to the Imperial hotel down the road and the staff there allowed us to use their residents lounge. On my return around 7 pm I was obliged to have a drink/meal in my room !! great when there for a 2 night stay. So check before booking --especially during the wintertime! It felt that the function attendees were more important than a paying guest !! No apology -- no offer of redress -- didnt give the impression of caring. Otherwise room OK--clean -- but not that large one would want to eat/drink in !! Very disappointed -- wont stay again--better alternatives in Barnstaple.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Willowfield8
Reviewed December 1, 2012

We recently went to a special function at Park Hotel and the staff were friendly and helpful, the food was very good, the cauliflower cheese was so good that I had to make some later in the week, you know how it is you taste something scrummy and you want to eat it again, (I had seconds at the Park Hotel as it was), the beef that we had melted in the mouth and was lovely and moist, and nothing seemed to be too much trouble. A plus for me is that It has lovely ladies loos. The building has a 30's feel to it and looked fantastic with the Christmas decorations up. Really recommend it.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your review. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed you recent visit to us and that you were so impressed with your meal. Should you wish to return to us in the near future we hold carveries every day but Monday and Saturday and we would love to welcome you back for another enjoyable meal.

Reviewed December 1, 2012

I had to attend a funeral in Barnstaple and chose the Park Hotel as it appeared to offer the best value in the area. I was not disappointed.

My single room (125) overlooked the large car park at the rear. The room was warm, spotless and well appointed. The bathroom was modern and gleaming.

Free WiFi was available and ample tea and coffee facilities were provided in the room. The staff were, without exception, totally professional and very friendly. They all spoke with English accents as well which was a pleasant change!!
The full English breakfast was, like the rest of the hotel, of an exceptionally high standard.

I also took advantage of the leisure facilities at The Barnstaple Hotel (a sister hotel in the same group). I had an enjoyable swim in a good pool and a relaxing sauna.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone wishing to stay in the area.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Alchemist
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Not sure about this place. Could it have been some kind of office accommodation previously. It cetainly looks like it could have been. I stayed in the Garden Rooms which is a separate annexe. The rooms were a little cramped and a little dated. Bathroom was modern and recently installed.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 9, 2012

We booked for a two night stay at the Park Hotel as unfortunately we had to attend the funeral of a very good friend in the area. First impressions of the hotel were very good, neat, tidy and very clean. Our room had a small balcony overlooking the road at the front of the hotel, but since this road no longer takes through traffic to the town it was very quiet and had a lovely view over the park. Nice size room with lovely bathroom - all well presented - plenty of attention to detail. Tea, coffee etc all packed in one neat box ready for use. Lovely little bottles of shower gel etc. and nice fluffy towels. We were really pleased with our choice.

Unfortunately when we went to unpack and put some clothes in the drawers we found clothes (including underwear) from the previous guest. A bit disappointing, not the best welcome, but must admit this was the only glitch and anyone can make a mistake and not check rooms thoroughly when busy.

All in all we had a good stay and would return.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barnstaple
Barnstaple Hotel
Saunton Sands Hotel
#1 of 4 in Braunton
Travelodge Barnstaple Hotel
Premier Inn Barnstaple Hotel

Been to Park Hotel? Share your experiences!