“I would say the down side in general for this hotel is the noise” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Barnstaple Hotel

Barnstaple Hotel
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Barnstaple
GreenLeadersGold level
Hastings, United Kingdom
“I would say the down side in general for this hotel is the noise”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

I’m in two minds about this hotel; there are things that I liked about it and things that were not good. The hotel upon arrival looks outdated. A white 70’s looking construction on the edge of an industrial estate. When I checked in the staff were really helpful and really friendly, they showed me to my room which was through the indoor swimming pool building. I had a standard room which was fairly spacious and clean absolutely no complaints there.

As the evening went on the drawbacks of my rooms location became apparent. As you walk out of the indoor pool my room was the first room you came across, when people leave the pool area to make their way to they’re room the door is constantly being slammed, this went on ALL NIGHT! With the odd conversation outside my room for good measure.

the noise was bad. I didn’t sleep well at all. Pretty poor quality bed and the door slamming wasn’t the only problem, there was quite a loud drown all night from outside and from the heating system, I think the shower in the room above me must have been above my head as I could hear the water as clear as if I was in the shower myself.

One Major complaint (That's not a noise issue)…. At about 8pm I called reception to enquire if the hotel offered room service, I was told they do but there was no menu in my room, I was told that someone would bring me a menu shortly, after about 40mins I decided to get dressed and go to reception and ask where my menu was. I was told if you’d just like to go to the restaurant they would let me have one. My point is it’s not room service if I have to go to the restaurant to order it. When my meal did turn up it was pretty unimpressive.

My lasting impression of this hotel is, it could be so much better with not a lot of effort, the atmosphere in general was nice and the staff were great but the noise and lack of sleep was a major downside. If you’re a light sleeper don’t stay here.

Room Tip: dont stay in room 1, and i would advise you eat out.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
Newbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

We know the 4* Brend Hotels in South Devon and Cornwall but this was a 3* shot in the dark for a base in North Devon for a 3 day wind-down after Xmas/New Year from 2nd to 5th of January 2013. It's on the edge of a trading estate and adjacent to a bowling alley! However, as a base for car excursions into the surrounding countryside it's ideally positioned on the road network. First impressions were just 'OK' and the reception area looked tired, BUT, the staff were exceptional from arrival to departure. If you look beyond the decor and concentrate on the people and the service, the pool/chill out area and the well stocked gym you will be agreeably surprised. The "piece de resistance" is definitely the kitchen/restaurant. The food quality and variety deserves a much higher rating than 3* and great coffee too. Easy to find and loads of parking. Try it.

Room Tip: First floor rooms above gym and indoor pool are quietest.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
BrendHotels, General Manager at Barnstaple Hotel, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Thank you for finding the time to write a review for our htoel. We are pleased that you enjoyed what the hotel has to offer and we look forward to hopefully seeing you in the future, and we wish you a happy new year.
Reading, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

The staff at this hotel were very friendly and welcoming, the hotel needs updating, not very good reception area, whilst the rooms were ok there was a lot of noise from the industrial site at the back and from the heating system! Also we were next to a family room with a very noisy family in - although the hotel could not help this there seemed to be a lot of empty rooms so it would not have been difficult to have arranged for the family to be away from other guests! We had lunch of sandwich and chips/curly fries - sandwich ok but chips and fries were cold. This put us off eating in the main restaurant although the food looked good! Worst thing - the bar closed at lunch time! I always thought hotel bars opened all day. Best thing - rooms very clean. We paid £80.00 per night with breakfast - not really worth the money.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jackie G
Thank you for finding the time to write a review on our hotel, I am sorry to hear that you didn’t fully enjoy your stay with us. We do have a continuing maintenance plan to keep the hotel looking fresh and update throughout the year. I do apologise for your cold fries and I will be speaking to the kitchen so this does not happen again. Our bar is open at lunch time but does shut at 3pm but guests can still get a drink, snack, coffee from our health club bar which is open all afternoon or from reception. I hope that you will use us again in the future. Wishing you a happy new year.
Newcastle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2012

THis is not a bad little hotel, downside, on an industrial estate, up side good facilities, nice staff, don't be fooled into paying for an 'up grade' room, as although the room is better than the standard, its just a normal room by today's hotel standards.

The none 'upgraded rooms' are pretty ordinary, but clean and moderately appointed.

This hotel, and hotel in this group take advantage of lack of reall competition and generally charge way above what one wopuld pay anywhere else - haggle with them you will get thre room for £65.oo for two incl brekky.

No complaints, breakfast is good, bar and restauramnt facilities are also good, but they do have a tendency to charge 'five star london/big city' prices.

Rooms by today's standards are fairly small, but as stated earlier are well appoint, especially the ones that have been done up.

WORD of WARNING, watch out for the rooms at the far end of the building, as the are next to plant and equipment that never stops running, so there is a lot of noise in these rooms.

Location, an absolute doddle to get to, also easy walking distance to the town centre.

I have stay many times, and for £65.00 very good value, any more??? I don't think so, there are better deal to be had locally.

Room Tip: Don't take rooms at the far end of the hotel they are very noisy and don't pay extyra for an...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank howie999
Birmingham, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012

Having stopped before at the Imperial Hotel (part of the same group) I appreciated the stay would be of a different standard. Whilst this was the case the welcome I received at reception was exemplary and nothing was too much trouble for them or indeed all other members of staff. The room was clean and had good quality towels. I decided to eat in the bar and again received very good and prompt service. Special thanks should go to Nathan who took ownership of a problem I had and within minutes had advised me of what would be done to remedy the issue.

Although it is unlikely that I would use the hotel for my Wife and I this in no way is a criticism of the hotels attributes - it is simply that we have become accustomed to the finer qualities in our life and now prefer a minimum of a 4 star hotel. I would however use it again for a business trip.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank TheOriginalBaldie
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on The Barnstaple Hotel. I am sure if you did decide to bring your wife she would enjoy it too!! We look forward to welcoming you back in the future whether its business or pleasure. Hope you have a lovely new year.
devon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

This weekend I had my birthday party at the Barnstaple Hotel and most of my guests stayed there all weekend. The staff were wonderful, offering service, efficiency and friendliness in adundance.
From the planning of the party all the way to the end of the evening the staff and facilities were superb. Prior to the party the staff were approachable at every opportunity and the manager Martin was extremely helpful.
When the guests started to arrive at the hotel for their stay they were met with cheerful and helpful staff and remarked on the upbeat and professional manner in which they were dealt with.
On the actual evening the DJ which was reccomended by the hotel, Paul King was very accomodating and obliging making the party extra special. The variety of his music really added to the success of the evening.
Our guests were overwhelmed by the facilities and again the whole manner of the staff and the service they offered was professional while the they appeared at ease in their jobs. The catering was first class and plentiful and excellent value for money. I would highly recommend this hotel for a stay or as a venue for a party.
Mark and Cathy Gibbins

Room Tip: All rooms to a hgih standard
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank DevonCathyg
Poole, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

What a fantastic hotel just returned home from a great weekend, stayed in the bray suite was very nice and well worth the money. Looking forward to visiting again in April. Food was excellent and staff were second to none, always had a smile. The room was cleaned daily to a high standard, facilities on site were brilliant and always clean. Thank you.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barnstaple
The Imperial Hotel
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,670 reviews
Watersmeet Hotel
Watersmeet Hotel
#1 of 4 in Woolacombe

Been to Barnstaple Hotel? Share your experiences!