“Nice hotel, a bit of style and class”
Review of The Imperial Hotel

The Imperial Hotel
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Barnstaple
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Stayed here on business. I got a single room for £99 - was a bit small for the price. Room was a little cold and i had to use the spare blanket - but it was mid winter before all the snow. The hotel is lovely and 'old' world delivered with a bit of class - oak staircase, deep red carpets, chandelier etc Hotel is in good decorative order, no worn carpets or peeling wallpaper like you sometimes see in these places. Bathroom was a little old - but the that is the style - but very clean and in good decorative order. Front of house service was very good.
What let the stay down was when I could not eat in the restaurant because I didn't have jacket and tie. The hotel does seem part retirement home, never seen so many retired couples in one bar and all jacketed and tied/dress and pearled up for the restaurant. Obviously they attract that crowd but my put off business travellers like me. Shame really.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,685)

Reviewed January 20, 2013

My wife, daughter and I, stayed at this 4 star hotel in October and it was not a relaxing atmosphere but one of a stiff upper lip and staff that were regimental rather than friendly and welcoming in their approach to guests! We stayed in the Superior Room(s) overlooking the river. It was a pleasant view but we were woken early bin the morning by delivery lorry's and noisy individuals walking past the room late at night. I am sure a double glazing would solve this problem! But on making my thoughts known in a customer survey, I was contacted by a Mr Mathew Brend, who graciously offered another opportunity to stay at one of his family run hotels and a preferential rate! I have to say we did take up Mr Brend’s offer and all was put right!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
BrendHotels, Hotel Director at The Imperial Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

Thank you for your recent review of The Imperial Hotel after staying with us and one of our sister hotels; The Royal & Fortescue.

Although disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay with us, I am happy that you were satisfied with the way in which your complaint was dealt with, which resulted in a more enjoyable stay at our sister hotel. I do not feel the need to discuss the points you have raised as this has already been done so through our email correspondence.

Please do again accept my apologies for the problems caused during your stay and I hope to perhaps see you at a Brend Hotel again in the future.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

Everything about our stay was excellent, and it represented extremely good value for money. The staff were very welcoming, the food was terrific, service was excellent and our room was clean, warm and comfortable. The hotel was maintained to a very high standard, and the resident's lounge was perfect to relax in.

We will certainly stay here again the next time we are visiting Barnstaple.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I went here with my partner to bring in the New Year. We had a champagne reception, five course dinner followed by a dance. The staff were really lovely and made us feel really welcome and made the evening very special. The room was spotlessly clean, the bed comfortable and the bucks fizz with breakfast topped off a great stay. I would certainly recommend this hotel to others.

1  Thank Paul M

Thank you for your review and for choosing The Imperial Hotel as a venue for your New Year celebrations.

I am so glad that you enjoyed your time with us and that you would be happy to recommend the hotel to others.

Thank you again and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel again in the near future.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

We really couldn't fault the arrangements for this two day experience. Our room was a little pokey but as we spent so little time there it really didn't detract from the charm of this excellent hotel.

We rarely encounter such excellent service in the UK, especially in the restaurant, where the food was also terrific

1  Thank zonc186370
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We have been to The Imperial on a number of occasions and once again we have enjoyed a wonderful experience. The service, food and accommodation are of a very high standard. The Imperial balances old fashioned charm with modern amenities. We highly recommend The Imperial and will continue to return for many years to come. Thank you!

Reviewed December 22, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel several times and have never been disappointed by the restaurant.
Every evening there is a different menu, and this is reflected in the number of people who return to stay again and again. We have never had this amazing standard of dining in any other hotel. Fantastic food and fantastic service.
Everyone is helpful especially Martin the manager, nothing is too much trouble and they will always do theri best to find out information, direct you or answer your queries. This hotel is like returning to visit an old friend's home, confortable, welcoming and relaxing. The ideal spot for a wedding or a special family occasion

Room Tip: go on the mailing list or website of Brend Hotels and book directly with the hotel for best value...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
BrendHotels, Hotel Director at The Imperial Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2013

Thank you for your recent review of The Imperial hotel and for scoring us 5 / 5.

I am so pleased that you feel that your dining experience was the best you have come across in any hotel, both in service & food. It is also great to hear your comments on our General Manager which will be passed on personally as well as the review showing on our 'review board'.

Your room tip stating that all visitors should book directly with the hotel is very true as we offer the best value for money offers, particularly when wanting to dine with us.

Thank you again and I hope to welcome you back The Imperial Hotel soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Barnstaple
Park Hotel
The Royal Hotel
The Royal Hotel
#2 of 11 in Bideford
Premier Inn Barnstaple Hotel

Been to The Imperial Hotel? Share your experiences!