“Great hotel”

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Barnstaple
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Great hotel”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

We are just back from a 3 day break and this is our third stay in the hotel. Two couples we recommended it to also think the place is excellent. The food is some of the best we have ever had in Britain and they try to use local produce. All the staff are well trained and helpful, during our stay an elderly lady had an accident and they bent over backwards to help her at 2am! Then to my joy they had one of the world's best beers in the bar, Worthington White Shield. On leaving a tip I made sure that the catering staff would share in any tips.

Many guests are elderly and I wouldn't want to take children there although they would be made welcome, the sister Park Hotel just along the road would be better for children.

Just one complaint and it's my own fault, the receptionist asked me to check the bill but we were in a hurry and on arriving home I see they have charged me for what should have been a complimentary bottle of house wine on our first night. My letter is on its way and I am sure they will refund me.

Room Tip: Several rear rooms back on to a narrow street and are a little dark, That is no problem for us as we...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (529)
Home Counties, U.K.
Reviewed October 31, 2012 via mobile

Another break at a Brend hotel over 3 days in late October. Very conveniently situated for the town centre but far enough away not to be noisy at night.

The staff were excellent & evening meals of a very high standard. Breakfast was very adequate & served quickly & efficiently. My only criticism was the size of room & really dated decor. An upgrade to a superior room may well be advisable if not exhorbitant. The lounges & bar are pleasantly decorated and are very comfortable to relax in. A good place to stay if visiting Barnstaple.

• Stayed October 2012
BrendHotels, Hotel Director at The Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Thank you for your review of The Imperial Hotel and for rating us 4 / 5. I am glad to hear that you felt both our staff and food were of the highest standard and our breakfast also. I am sorry to read that you felt that your room was ‘small & the decor tired’. As I do not know which room you stayed in it is hard to comment, but all of our rooms are maintained to the same high standard and all have the modern amenities you would expect from a 4* hotel. We do have a rolling refurbishment programme which is well underway and is to be continued only later this month. Again thank you for your review and be assured that these comments will be passed on to all of our team. I hope you decide to return to The Imperial Hotel for a short break again in the near future.
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Recently stayed 3 nights on an autumn break. We were fortunate to be upgraded to a superior room which was very comfortable with plenty of space to sit when we did not wish to go to one of the excellent lounges.The staff in the hotel could not be faulted in any way,all were cheerful ,helpful and from our experience efficient.The food was good with plenty of choice and minor variations to the stated dishes were delivered cheerfully without comment.We have stayed at several Brend hotels in the past and this is without doubt the best of the the bunch the most customer friendly and was excellent value.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
BrendHotels, Hotel Director at The Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Thank you for your recent review of The Imperial Hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your time with us and your comments regarding our staff and food are particularly pleasing to read. I am also very pleased that you feel we are excellent value for money and a stand out in the Brend group of hotels. Thank you once again and I hope to welcome you back again in the future.
Yeovil, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Recently enjoyed 3 nights at the Imperial in pure luxury. Hotel had been recommended by some good friends that had stayed on numerous occasions. We took advantage of the upgrade offer with bed and breakfast and 5 course dinner. All the food was superb with plenty of choice and wine/drink prices were par for the course. Hotel staff were always on hand to help and restaurant staff excelled. We had room 211 which had a balcony and river view and we will definately request this room in the future.
Plenty of car parking available.
The surrounding area of Barnstaple has so much to offer visitors and we were impressed by the cleanliness in the town.

Room Tip: Room 211 has good river views with a balcony
cardiff
Reviewed October 25, 2012

My husband and I spent 5 days and 4 nights here - sheer bliss from start to finish. We arrived with a coach party and from start to end of our stay could not fault any aspect in any way.
House keeping was first class - not only clean but what I call "shiny clean", with emphasis on hygiene.
Staff were polite, helpful, smart, well groomed, professional and well trained in their area of employment.
Food - what can I say - this for me was total heaven. Being vege I had a daily choice of menu - all containing quorn (quite a change from the usual lasagne or nut roast usually only on offer) (please don't ever let the chef go)!! Thank you chef!
The lounges were very comfortable and relaxing with the added touch of fresh flowers.
I would definitely recommend this hotel and as Arnold Schwarzenegger said "I'll be back".
This hotel has put courtesy, manners and grace back into today's society!
Thank you all!

1 Thank 220chris220
Thank you very much for your review of our hotel. All of your comments are most pleasing to read and be assured that they will be passed on to all of our staff members via our review board; this has only been introduced recently and I am pleased to say that they really do appreciate the feedback given. Thank you again and I hope to welcome you back to The Imperial Hotel in the near future.
Marbella, Spain
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Our stay in the hotel was only for a short time but we had a beautiful room, excellent service and a marvellous breakfast. It really could not have been better. Set by the river in the town centre with easy access to the main shopping street this old hotel has both modern features set and old world character. We enjoyed staying there very much and would definitely return. We have known the hotel for many years as we lived in the area but had never had the chance or need to stay there so it came as a great surprise to have such a wonderful time there.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Monda15
East Anglia
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We were a walk in off the street here though it was not as expensive as we feared! The room was very good, clean, well furnished and with a pleasant décor. And a bath as a bonus too. It was also sufficiently spacious for two. Reception was good, efficient and helpful and a porter with our luggage was most helpful.
There was plenty of parking in front and at the rear of the hotel, which is well situated close to the town centre. Overall certainly worth its 4 star status.
Nearly all the guests were elderly, though counteracted by the young staff.
The only real downside was breakfast. No fresh fruit, ? possibly grapefruit?, though plenty of variety with canned/preserved types but the cooked food was dire. The poached egg tasted distinctly of vinegar, and the scrambled egg on buttered toast with a slice of bacon was a disaster. The bacon was not cooked, the toast was burnt, and soggy and the butter was invisible. A complaint was met by a waitress who refused to understand English. I was carted off to avoid a scene! We did complain again the next day to reception who were sympathetic, plenty of sorrys and oh dears!
Thereafter we avoided eating in for dinner and had a continental breakfast the next day. Probably a one off but badly handled and the waiting staff should be better trained in how to deal with complaints

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Teaselshiva
BrendHotels, Hotel Director at The Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Thank you for your recent review of The Imperial Hotel and rating us 4 / 5. I am most pleased that you enjoyed many aspects of your stay with us and felt that overall we deserve our 4 Star status. I am sorry that your stay was marred by a less than satisfactory breakfast.

Since your review I have spoken to both our Restaurant Manager and Head Chef to make sure our very high standards of a quality breakfast are upheld at all times. I would like to point out that contrary to your comments, fresh fruit is readily available on our breakfast buffet and fresh grapefruit can be ordered from our breakfast menu, but none the less please accept my sincere apologies for our breakfast not coming up to expected standards.

Again thank you for your review and I hope that you decide to return to The Imperial Hotel again in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barnstaple
Park Hotel
Premier Inn Barnstaple Hotel
Watersmeet Hotel
Watersmeet Hotel
#1 of 4 in Woolacombe

Been to The Imperial Hotel? Share your experiences!