“Not every one's cup of tea - but definitely mine!!!”
Review of Lee House

Lee House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Barnstaple
Lee House
Ranked #21 of 29 Barnstaple B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 9, 2011

I had read a review on Trip Advisor saying Lee House will split the reviewers and yes that is right, but I loved it. A house with real history and run by two absolutely charming people. I arrived on a cold, windy and extremely wet late afternoon in the dark and was greeted by the lady of the house! Fabulous place, had a choice of two bedrooms, declined the four poster as I was on my own, thought it would be a waste. The place is old fashioned but you would not want it any other way. I had to go out to an evening meeting, when I came back there was a hot water bottle in my bed!!! Fabulous!!! My breakfast was superb and I could have made a real pig of myself if I had been so inclined.

If you like old houses, that are exceptionally remote and appreciate good old fashioned courtesy and politeness go along. Wish I could have stayed when the evenings were light and the weather warmer, but would go back again with no hesitation.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank WTOtraveller
Reviewed September 6, 2011

We loved it. It is a run down country house with damp, cobwebs, water not drinkable (bottles provided) and flaky paintwork. But the welcome from Sheelagh was so warm, the house had so much character and history, the views were amazing, breakfast was tasty. This one will split the reviewers no doubt.

• Stayed: September 2011
4  Thank BrighousePete
Reviewed June 23, 2011

The following is an exert from the guest house's own promotional leaflet.

"Lee House is a secluded Elizabethan Manor House set in 7 acres of gardens, woods and paddocks at the end of a half mile private drive.
The house is built on the lip of the valley, faces South and the garden has views across Barnstaple Bay to Clovelly and Hartland."

My wife and I stayed at this guest house on our wedding night. We wanted a period property with charm and character-we we're not disappointed.

We had arranged with the owner, Sheelagh Darling, to check in quite late (0130am) and she was more than accommodating, assuring us it was no trouble at all.
When we pulled up, we were greeted immediately by a very friendly Doberman and an even friendlier host.
We were shown to our room, the four-poster suite. One of three bedrooms they have on offer. The whole house oozed period charm and retain so much of its original features. A real treat for those of you who appreciate this sort of thing.
The bedroom was a very good size, furnished with antique furniture and the jewel in the crown, an outstanding four-poster bed.
All rooms are en suite with bath, television, tea and coffee.

After a comfortable and relaxing nights sleep we made our way to breakfast, at a time arranged the previous night, to suit us.
The dining room is a rather grand room, with adjoining sitting room, looking out through floor to ceiling windows over the courtyard.
On offer was a variety of cereals, toast, tea & coffee and of course Full-English breakfast.
The cooked breakfast was very tasty, using proper local, quality produce and the Darling's own eggs. Maybe a tad on the light side for a big lad (like myself) but I've no doubt Sheelagh would have provided more had I asked for it.
There is an interesting folder than has been compiled by the current owners detailing the history of Lee House and its recent renovation and restoration which makes for good breakfast reading.
The house is truly huge and boosts some interesting history. Coupled with an extremely attentive and accommodating host and fabulous rooms & food, you have all the makings of a great nights stay.
Great value also. We paid £60 for the two of us to have the four-poster suite, including breakfast. You would be hard pushed to beat that in this area on a Saturday night.
Probably the only thing some people might class as a downside is that they do not accept Credit/Debit cards. But then neither did the Elizabethans, so its all true to its historic past ;)

If you want something a little different than your standard clinical hotel then try Lee House.

An interesting sidenote : Our host, Sheelagh Darling used to draw/paint for Punch magazine. There is examples of her work all over the house.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple