“returned early january”

Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Barnstaple
Neath, United Kingdom
“returned early january”
Reviewed February 9, 2014

been to this lovely hotel many times returned early January myself ,wife and daughter hotel was very quiet,but was its usual clean, warm and charming hotel on the Saturday night there was a party in the main restaurant so those staying at the hotel the evening meal was served in the Italian restaurant which was a bit disappointing,a few of the regular staff were still working at the hotel who gave us a good welcome once more,the room we had on the second floor was spoilt by the bathroom which I did not complain about at the time, so I wont complain now all in all wehad a good stay although there was something missing this time,

Room Tip: the rooms at the front do get noisey at the weekends but you do get a good view of the night life,av...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
BrendHotels, Manager at Royal & Fortescue Hotel, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Firstly thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm glad that we could show you a warm welcome and that you found that the hotel was still its charming self. I'm sorry to hear that there was a problem with your bathroom, and regret that we could not have done anything about it during your stay. I hope to welcome you to the Royal and Fortescue again in the near future, when I hope we can be up to the standard of your previous visits.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Priors Marston, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 7, 2014

This hotel is exceptional beautiful room (116) fab staff so smartly dressed and helpful. I travel all over the world and a hotel like this is such a gem. Well done you lovely people Would and will come back again. Geoff and Carole

Room Tip: Try room 116
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank foodgb
Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Room 116 has recently been refurbished, so I'm gratified to hear that you approve!! I will also pass on your comments on to our team, as positive feedback is always appreciated! I hope to welcome you back to the Fortescue in the near future, and I hope you continue to enjoy our hotel.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 16, 2013 via mobile

We booked a double and a twin last minute as we had a family emergency. The rooms were clean and comfortable and adequate for a short stay. The staff were helpful and cheerful, even though they were very busy with Xmas festivities in the full restaurant. We were unable to be accommodated in the hotel restaurant or their partner restaurant next door, but the staff were helpful in their recommendations.
Please check parking arrangements as the hotel has minimal available space.
Would recommend.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am happy to hear that you found our rooms clean and comfortable as we take great pride in the standard of our rooms with regards to housekeeping and an ongoing modernization program. I'm sorry that you didn't get to enjoy our restaurants, but as I'm sure you understand, Christmas is an extremely busy time for us! I hope you are able to return to the hotel in the future and are able to take advantage of our dining options.
Tavistock, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 24, 2013

It was a very good hotel in a good location. I stayed in a room right next to the lift shaft so would not recommend that room as noicy we the lift going up and down through the night. But I would stay in this hotel again

• Stayed November 2013
Thank you for taking the opportunity to review our hotel. I am glad that you found the hotel to be of a good standard. I am sorry that you found the noise from the lift disruptive. I hope that you are able to stay again and we will happily accommodate you away from the lift.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 23, 2013

We stayed in this beautiful hotel one night to go to a wedding.

We booked the wrong night (!) but they gave us a room anyway and they let us check in at 11:30 am to get changed and attend the ceremony, despite the check in is usually after 2 or 3 pm.

They have been very helpful and comprehensive with us, not many other hotels would have done the same.

The room was beautiful and the bed super comfy!

I really loved the atmosphere there and I would definitely recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Gloria P
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad that our staff made you so welcome, and that we were able to let you get ready for the wedding. We pride ourselves on our helpful staff so thank you for your positive feedback.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed November 12, 2013

I arrived at 2330 in the middle of the week. All locked up and it took 20 minutes of ringing the bell to get attention. I phoned earlier and mentioned I would be late, so I have no idea why they would keep me waiting. The room was terrible and so was the service. Forget everything you have seen in the last 20 years of hotels, this place was 1970 at best even though it was supposed to have been refurbished a few years ago. Cheap fixtures and fittings and not really very good at all. I came to visit my family, booked and paid for 2 nights, stayed one and left quickly. I brought a tent and stayed in a field the second night. Thats how good this place is!

Room Tip: Don't just don't!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
6 Thank Christian R
BrendHotels, General Manager at Royal & Fortescue Hotel, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Thankyou for reviewing our hotel, i was very disappointed to read your impression of The Royal and Fortescue . Our night manager is responsible for the security of the hotel and performs regular security checks around the building, this can mean that they can be in other areas of the hotel when guests arrive at the front door. They do however make their best effort to get to the door as soon as they can. As The Royal and Fortescue is a very old building it does have the features of a building of this age. However we have spent a lot of time and money in the past few years on a programme of refurbishing, redecorating and updating fixtures and fittings in our rooms for the comfort of our guests. I am sorry that there wasn’t something we could have done to move you into a more suitable room which we would happily have done had this been brought to our attention at the time. Should you stay in Barnstaple again i would happily welcome you back to The Royal and Fortescue and show you the improvements we have made to the hotel in the recent months.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 7, 2013

Needed somewhere to stay for work (preferred option was full), and was expecting to be disappointed by a tired, dirty, 1970s hotel. However I was very wrong. The hotel is right in the centre of town and is actually quite quaint.

There are only a small number of important things when staying in a hotel for this purpose. Cleanliness, breakfast, and the shower. 2/3 of these were great. The Shower was disappointing as it lacked pressure. However the room was very clean and perfectly well appointed (though not enormous). Breakfast was perfectly fine too.

I also had dinner in the hotel which , again, I was surprised by (though why I would need roast potatoes as a side to Gnocci i do not know...)

Overall this is a very nice hotel with clean tidy rooms, nice friendly staff (which is surprisingly unusual these days) and excellent value. Room, breakfast and dinner came to less than £100.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thankyou very much for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad to hear that you were pleasantly suprised by the standard of our hotel, we do try very hard here to balance the history of the hotel with modern comforts. I am pleased to know that you were impressed with the cleanliness and the food however i am sorry to hear that your shower was dissappointing and i will pass the comments onto our maintenance team. With regards to the dinner vegetables and potatoes do come as standard with our main courses however i quite understand that potatoes may not be necessary with Gnocci! I shall pass this onto the kitchen. I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barnstaple
Park Hotel
Travelodge Barnstaple Hotel
The Royal Hotel
The Royal Hotel
#2 of 11 in Bideford

Been to Royal & Fortescue Hotel? Share your experiences!