“The n”

Ranked #1 of 12 Coffee & Tea in Barnstaple
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Description: Located just a scone's throw from the traditional pannier market in Barnstaple town centre, we at The Cream Tea Café are on a mission to provide you with the freshest food possible, and so to help us in this quest, we make the vast majority of our food from scratch here in our kitchen. We source other ingredients from local suppliers to bring you the very best Devon has to offer.
Reviewed November 3, 2013

I would definitely stop by this cafe for lunch whenever possible - after a few trips, I've enjoyed not only the eponymous cream tea, but also sandwiches and bigger meals. Firstly, I enjoy the atmosphere and mix-and-match vintage setting - the staff are always friendly and helpful, too. The food itself is great; my girlfriend and I have a repeating jokey qualm about not having enough cream and jam with our scones in other cafes, but The Cream Tea Cafe always delivers ample portions!
If you're a local looking for a cafe away from the high street, or I guess a visitor looking for an authentic cream tea, I would definitely try this place.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

We found this cafe quite by accident in a search for somewhere other than the high street chains (Starbucks, Cafe Nero, Costa etc).

The atmosphere was delightful with a range of vintage china, easy chairs etc. We had coffee and home made cakes which were delicious. The service was a bit slow - not helped by endless people coming in to ask the owner about his new baby and look at photos! But we weren't in any rush and in its own was it was quite amusing....... I really liked the fact that this is clearly a cafe rooted in its community

Reviewed October 25, 2013

I'm a regular visitor to this cute little cafe in the centre of Barnstaple. The food and service are always top notch. They specialise in lunches such as sandwiches, soups, ploughmans etc, as well as the cream teas and other sweet treats that the name suggests.
Everything I've had there - and believe me, I've had most of the menu! - has been of a very high standard and I particularly like the fact that most of what they offer is sourced locally and/or made fresh on the premises.
The scones for the cream teas are a real highlight - light and fluffy and served with local clotted cream and jam made on-site. It's the real-deal Devon experience! They also do an excellent variety of quality loose leaf teas and coffees.
For such good quality fayre, this place is also incredibly good value for money. Without a doubt the best cafe in Barnstaple.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

We called in again to this little cafe after having such a lovely lunch last time we visited and were left feeling slightly disappointed. (see previous glowing review). We had loved the idea that they used local produce and presented it in such an appetising way.

The friendly greeting is still present from the owner who seems to works so hard but the wait for lunch and the content was not really acceptable.

We waited over 20 minutes for our ploughmans, whilst the member of staff who was preparing it, left the plates a couple of times and wandered over and chatted to various people who came in. When it finally arrived it was below par. 3 tiny cocktail onions from a jar always look so sad on a ploughmans as well as a small pot of runny chutney and coleslaw (both from large catering tubs) What a shame as the cafe is opposite the Pannier market which was full of home produced pickled onions and delicious chutney.
Along with the above we had a few lettuce leaves, 4 slices of brown apple (it had sat too long), three small slices of cheese (not sure what they were) and two slices of bread. This cost £18.00 for the two of us and we felt the cafe was really was not using the abundance of local ingredients that they had excelled in before. Ingredients from white tubs plonked on a plate along with some mystery cheese just did not do this cafe justice.

Overall I think it was just a case of taking an eye off the ball, the member of staff preparing food was just stepping in whilst the owners wife was away on maternity leave and clearly was unsure what to do.

richydingwall, Owner at The Cream Tea Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2013

Firstly, we would like to say how very sorry we are for your under par experience. We can only accept your comments about the portion size of the ploughmans and the length of time you waited. These are both unacceptable. You are right, the problem is that the member of staff we employed to cover my wife's maternity was also unable to work that day and therefore my mother-in-law kindly offered to help out.
As far as the produce is concerned we were surprised that you found a problem with the quality as there have been absolutely no changes with the ingredients we use. We pride ourselves on using local ingredients wherever we can. The chutney is locally made by Waterhouse Fayre, which is the same we have always used. Our coleslaw is made on the premises as it always has been. Our cheeses are still the same local cheeses. We are always happy to give more information about the origin of the cheeses when asked.
We can only presume that the slow service and the overall presentation of the plate made you feel that the quality was less than average and for this we apologise.
We would like to invite you back at your leisure for a complimentary lunch for two in the hope that we can change your mind. If you would like to take us up on this offer please email us at lucy@thecreamteacafe.co.uk and I'll send you a voucher.

Kind Regards,

Richy Dingwall
Owner

Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

Had been looking forward to visiting here since we booked our weekend away 2 weeks ago and now all day since our cooked breakfast in the hotel. To find it closed was very disapointing.

richydingwall, Owner at The Cream Tea Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2013

Hi, I am sorry you were disappointed that we were closed when you tried to visit. My wife (who does all the baking) gave birth to our first child on Wednesday 25th September, and this is why we are not open. We will be re-opening for business on Friday 11th October at 10 am.

I hope you will be able to return soon and enjoy our hospitality,

Kind Regards,