“Our Barnstaple Highlight” 4 of 5 bubbles

Boston Tea Party Barnstaple
Ranked #4 of 17 Coffee & Tea in Barnstaple
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Boston Tea Party is a small family owned independent cafe group serving simple well-prepared food & drinks made with great ingredients, skill and love. Ethically sourced, affordable, feel-good & excellent quality - made from scratch onsite everyday by people who care about what they do. Barnstaple BTP happily fills the big old former wool mill it lives in & has established itself as a cultural hub with an enviable track record of showcasing diverse & talented artists, be it comedy, theatre, art or poetry. It also has the added distinction of being the birth place of the brilliant Boston Tea Party House Band!
Swindon, United Kingdom
“Our Barnstaple Highlight”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

I never write reviews on anything but felt inclined to make an exception with this café. Firstly, the food is really very good. I ordered a cheese and bacon burger and my girlfriend went for a spiced red lentil and chickpea falafels - both were exceptional. It arrived quickly despite the place being very busy on a Saturday lunchtime and the staff were courteous and attentive, asking us if everything was OK with our food and if we required any sauces etc. The tea and coffee were OK, nothing out of this world. What has stopped me rating this café 5 out of 5 is the fact that the staff took so long in clearing away trays of food and drink. A lot tables were left with dirty cups and plates on throughout our visit. However, I hasten to add this was due to the sheer numbers of customers and not staff negligence.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
BTPBarnstaple, General Manager at Boston Tea Party Barnstaple, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Thank you so much for your review. We are very pleased to hear you liked us so much. It is really important to us to hear what our customers think so thank you very much for taking the time to write this review. We hope to see you again.

• Polish first
Barnstaple
“Just Great Coffee!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

I love this place. The staff are always friendly and helpful. The coffee is fab. The cakes are wonderful. It's where I get my coffee all the time.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
BTPBarnstaple, General Manager at Boston Tea Party Barnstaple, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Thank you so much for you review, so many positive things! We love hearing back from our customers so thank you for taking the time to write a review.
“Dreadful”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

Been in twice, and twice I have found the service to be shocking. Stood waiting 5 minutes while staff finished off a private conversation. When I asked for some milk, I was told that it was around the corner on a table. Went to the table to find that all the milk jugs were empty! Went back to the counter, waited another 5 minutes. Then the girl simply got some milk that was standing on the side in the carton and put some in my tea. She didn't ask how much or what type of milk I wanted, and then went straight back to her conversation. Won't be giving them the benefit of a third visit.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Sorry to hear the experience you had in our café wasn’t up to scratch. This isn’t the sort of service we want to offer at BTP. Thanks for letting us know and this will be shared with the team.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Poor excuse for a cream tea”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

Having spent some time in Devon and Cornwall I've come to expect certain standards. These might also be tied in to the trade descriptions act, but you can decide that for yourself. This café is pleasant and they also like dogs. You order and pay for food before you get it here. We ordered cream teas, expecting a couple of scones, some jam, and the requisite clotted cream. What we received was a single scone, a bit of butter and some jam. Swallowing my disappointment at only receiving one scone I asked for the cream, only to be told they didn't have any. I almost offered to nip directly across the road to the M&S food-hall to buy them some!!! Definitely not up to the standard of their competitors.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
I am very sorry to hear of your disappointing visit. From what you have said it sounds like you were given the incorrect item altogether as we do serve a fabulous cream tea! If we did not have any cream this should have been clearly explained at the till so if this did not happen then I do apologise. We have recently changed our cream tea to a much larger scone- a choice of plain or fruit, served with jam and clotted cream. We do hope you will try again sometime as what you received was certainly not the usual standard.
Barnstaple
“Best coffee in town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

Good, clean, honest tea/coffee/cake/lunches, quick, attentive friendly service from awesome staff who are obviously trained to connect with the customer, something which is all too often forgotten in this industry/business these days! Great food and without doubt, the best coffee (house dark roast) in town. Also it's very refreshing to get a coffee that hasn't been watered down to the tone of a gallon or so of water, al a COSTA or STARBUCKS !!! Etc etc. needless to say I am a regular customer.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your amazing review! We are so pleased to hear of all the things you like about us and most importantly that our coffee is fabulous! Thank you for taking the time to review us, we really appreciate it