“Amazing - a must visit attraction” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Exmoor Zoo

Exmoor Zoo
Ranked #1 of 24 things to do in Barnstaple
More attraction details
Owner description: Winner of the Gold award for best attraction in the South-west 2012, Exmoor Zoo has become an ideal family day out. The zoo has established a good rapport with the North Devon community and offers a very hand on experience for all its visitors.Activities run throughout the day (every half hour in summer), you get to meet a bird eating spider, hold a snake, feed wallabies (under supervision), meet some of the zoos friendly furry animals and of course go to all the talks and feeding sessions (if you can)!Home to the “Exmoor Beast” (a pair of black leopards), Puma, Cheetah, Maned wolves, monkeys and lots of other unusual animals like Tamandua, Fishing cats, Tapir, Singing dogs and Binturong to just name a few! The zoo is a living place with changes all the time; no visit is ever quite the same.Useful information:• Disabled access (wheelchair provision and scooter hire)• Activities through out the day• Cafeteria• Children’s playground• Undercover picnic areas• Zoo trail.
Sittingbourne, United Kingdom
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Amazing - a must visit attraction”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

My partner and I visited Exmoor Zoo during out stay in Devon in April 2013.

The entry price was very reasonable (£10.95 each) and there was such a wide range of different animals to see, which could all be seen easily as the enclosures seem well maintained and very clean for the animals but designed in a way in which visitors can see them. I have found at other zoos enclosures seem un cared for and very overgrown. There was information provided about all the different animals next to their enclosures which was easy to understand and interesting. It is obvious a lot of thought has gone into the design of the zoo layout and enclosures to ensure that it is easy to travel around and also provides the tourist with ways to best see the animals, for example by walking up onto raised platforms.

The zoo may look small from the outside but don't be fooled there is a large area for you to walk around, my partner and I spent 3 hours here happily looking at the animals and learning something new at every enclosure.

1 Thank podge198690

Plymouth, England, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“...not sure...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

We have visited before and been relativly pleased, but this time, no. There are some fantastic reviews on here, so maybe im misisng something.....
We went admittedkly out of season, but I felt so sad and dont know if I will go again.
Many of the animals looked so miserable or distressed and many were in dirty conditions.
I understnad its out of seaon but never the less they should have the best they can. The cheetah spent the whole time pacing up and down in a mud pit and was covered in mud itself. the pigs looked depressed, the cats were pacing. many things just looked so uphappy.we walked in the reptile area and quickly left as the smell was unbearable. (we are not townies either, we live in the sticks) It even upset my children. If this is the best zoo, I wont be visiting anymore. We found Newquay much better conditions.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Lucy C
Exmoorbeast, Owner at Exmoor Zoo, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
When you visit an animal collection a lot of what you see depends on the weather (perishingly cold winds for instance - like this last month - or a winter of rain and snow), whether you are viewing an animal just prior to it being fed (Dave our now single male cheetah who did have some mud on his belly fur), whether the previous visitors have disturbed or excited the bigger cats and probably the most important thing of all - your own frame of mind when you enter the zoo. The ground has been dry for the last 3 weeks or so and in all honesty most of our enclosures are now "dried-up" but looking a bit barren (not filthy - actually very clean) as none of our Spring plant growth has even started yet! February when you visited we had just had continual rain for over a year and snow along with frozen paths and enclosures! Our animals in my opinion were not distressed (they all coped with the winter conditions very well indeed), our pigs have not got sufficient face muscles to look depressed (even if they were) and the reptile area is adjacent to our cafe and behind sealed glass units?? I accept you did not enjoy your visit but would humbly suggest that this was largely down to your timing in winter and your previous summer expectations of the zoo? Hopefully a very different story now if you visited again.
mumbai
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 81 helpful votes
“Amazing zoo”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

We explored every part of the zoo and there so many varities of birds,lemurs,wild cats etc.Kids will just love it.They were lot of shows which werw exciting.Their restuarant served good global food.Excellent management.Animals are very friendly.Cheered up our day.Higly recommended.

Visited March 2013
2 Thank Guddi7780
Devon, United Kingdom
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Little gem of a zoo”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

I have been to many zoos over the years and I can honestly say this is my favourite yet. Really friendly keepers, contented animals, loads to see and do. My children loved the opportunity to handle and feed some of the animals and I even over come my snake phobia and held Mr Wriggly, a rat snake. Definitely plan to return in the near future and cannot, for the life of me, understand the minority negative reviews on here. Some people must like moaning for moaning's sake!
Take it from me, it's a brilliant day out!

1 Thank Snurfdood
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Excellent and interesting little zoo”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

We thought we would try a visit to the zoo well it was interesting, many animals we hadn't seen before. There are plenty of chances to see the animals being fed and the keepers tell you a bit about the animals which we found very interesting. There are lots of things for children they can pet some of the animals and can get close to the spiders and snakes (we didn't see that but heard how excited the children were as we passing). The meerkats, otters and penguins are popular as are the cute little spider monkeys. There are little information boards telling you where the animals originate. The price was reasonable. The cafe is ok the staff are friendly and very helpful. All in all a good day out even though it was freezing when we visited we will be going again when we visit Devon.
Thanks Exmoor Zoo for a lovely day.

2 Thank Elenia66

Been to Exmoor Zoo? Share your experiences!