“Just not as good as competitors in town...”
Review of Giovanni's

Giovanni's
Ranked #30 of 154 Restaurants in Barnstaple
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 20, 2014

Haven't been to Giovannis for a few years due to a previously poor experience but gave it another shot.

Restaurant is well spaced out and the pictures on the wall of Italy add charm but there is no atmosphere at all! There wasn't many people in the place at the time but it just seemed a graveyard compared to other places, with the staff stood at the bar distancing themselves from the customers rather than interacting with them. Menus are thorough with a wide range of foods however once the food arrived (quickly I must add) the food just seemed to have no love in it or any pride in appearance. Both of our pasta dishes were just scooped onto a plate; I'm no expert but surely there are other, better ways of presenting food than just scooping it onto a plate?!

Giovannis could be nice with a few tweaks but ultimately there are at least 10 places I'd prefer to eat at instead of here

1  Thank Tom L

Reviewed July 17, 2014

Staying in Barnstable last week and not having any idea of local restaurants we gave this a try. It was very busy but were shown a table and told that it would possibly be 20 mins before our order was taken.This was not a problem for us and the waitress was very charming. They were obviously short staffed but could not have treated us better.The garlic and cheese pizza bread starter was the best I have ever tasted and the rest of the meal was equally delicious. So good that in fact we returned two days later for another meal when they were fully staffed but just as efficient. We made a point of recommending them to other people at our guest house.

1  Thank RickityP
Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

We have been coming here for years.
Every time we visit the service, and food is brilliant and very good value for money. We've never had a negative experience. If I had one remotely bad thing to say, it would be that a table for 2 is rather cramped, but still enjoyable.
I highly recommend this restaurant, and we will be back again soon.

Reviewed June 27, 2014

Malee Thai was our favourite restaurant in Barnstaple (sadly it has closed down). However we have lived here for nearly a year and never been here. Im not really into Italian food due to it being high in carbs. However we decided to give it a go. Walking in it was very busy in a good way. Our waiter found us a nice table tucked round the corner, and ran us through the specials. Straight at way I felt at ease in a jovial filled atmosphere, where you could be loud and fun, just like the service, charming and full of life. The food was well done. It wasn't the best meal I ever had, but it was well executed tasty food nicely presented. I had tricolore salad, and clam, chili and lemon pasta which was light and delicious. My husband had bruschetta and pollo milanese. We had a bottle of red which was just perfect, soft and velvety, just how I love it. I also had an ameretto pudding, layered ameretto biscuits and some sort of yummy ameretto liquore creamy thing, totally delicious.
What won it for me was the atmosphere, both of us came out of the restaurant beaming.
If you like a bit of bustle, charm, and noise, with honest italian style food this is the place for you.

Reviewed June 17, 2014

picked this on line for my grand-daughter's birthday as no knowledge of Barnstaple restaurants. Definitely picked a winner! Best italian meal I've had in a long while. Definitely eat there whenever we are in Barnstaple.