“How hard is it to make a sandwich?”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of The Ship Inn

The Ship Inn
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom
“How hard is it to make a sandwich?”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

Oh dear........I don't usually feel compelled to complain but in this instance........We headed into The Ship for a light lunch expecting a quality experience having read the reviews.
Mmmmm..it's hard to know where to begin but to sum up. It was a quiet day and wasn't busy.We ordered two lots of sandwiches with chips. The bread was dry and had been hacked into inch thick slices. One of our fillings, smoked salmon & cream chive came without the latter. The chips were barely warm and dry. The service was marked by it's lethargy and lack of interest in our complaint. We had to prompt for drinks and condiments. It's hard to know how a chef can mess up a sandwich given its simplicity! If they can't prepare a sandwich and cook a portion of chips what hope is there for a main meal! Try the chippie at the end of the street.....it's great or alternatively a pie from Yarlside stores!

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic New Years Day! :)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

I would like to thank The Ship Inn for a fantastic New Year Day with my family. Presentation of the food was second to none, I was hoping it tasted as good as it looked, I was not disappointed. Even though the place was packed, the service, staff, ambiance and general atmosphere was outstanding. I would certainly recommend this Pub/Restaurant to anybody in or passing through the area.

P.S The portion sizes were adequate for anyone with a discerning palate.

1 Thank AngelFace2014
Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom
“Very good pub and bar meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

Hadnt visited this pub in a while and was told it had been taken over by new people. Its always been a nice pub with a good atmosphere and the menu has now changed and it was lovely. There was an offer on that if u bought a main course you got a starter or a desert free.The portions are a little smaller than they used to be but the deal makes up for it. And the food was delicious, I will definitely be going back

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank harteja
hertfordshire
“LITTLE Portions, LARGE Prices.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

Visiting Barrow to see family, our group of four went to The Ship, Roose, on New Year’s Day 2014. What a difference from New Year’s Day 2013, 2012, 2011, plus visits during the year, and unless I hear from my friends in the North the new owners have reverted to something like Cyril Whiteside’s format we won’t be going again. Cyril probably gave you too much tasty food, but the new owners have gone in the opposite direction. The portions are tiny, tiny, tiny (although tasty, except the soup) and the prices have RISEN.

Soup was £4.95, tasteless, luke-warm, small portion served in a tiny bowl.

Two of our party ordered king prawn starter. This was an expensive starter, near the £6 mark I think. Their two fancy plates almost took over the table, but the actual four king prawns in sauce in the middle looked pathetic and we burst out laughing. This is The Ship, Barrow, not The Ivy, London. They will lose customers in their droves at this rate.

I had lambs liver and bacon. The bacon was shredded like tiny needles, not what I expected at all and I have never had it served like that before, and a very small amount of liver. I asked for chips, (instead of mashed potato). I think I got about eight chips. They have become so portion conscious they must count every pea.

Nobody came to the table to ask if we wanted drinks so we ordered drinks when we were EVENTUALLY given the food menu. After ordering drinks we waited and waited for them to come to the table. We could see the Waitress who took our drinks order standing behind the bar talking, but we could not get her attention. Eventually we caught the attention of a passing Waitress (I think she was the new owner because she was dressed differently to the others) and asked her for our drinks. We saw her walk to the bar and speak to the Waitress who took our order and I heard the Waitress say she had forgotten in an ‘oops’ sort of way.

They seem to spend a lot of time looking at, sorting cutlery drawers, folding napkins, talking to each other at the bar, but not really taking care of customers.

Quite a few menu options were not available, even though the restaurant was probably only about 20% occupied, claiming they had a very busy Christmas.

Regarding price, I have ticked the ££££ (the most expensive option) box because of the portion vs price.

The Ship was a huge disappointment this year.

1 Thank BellaHertfordshire
Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom
“Lovely Atmosphere and Friendly - Spot On!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

Me & my husband are frequent visitors to The Ship and have been for the past 4 years or so. Previously had one meal - that says it all!!! The new landlord (Darren) and landlady (Amanda) are really nice people, they will always try and accommodate people. Totally different atmosphere since they have taken over, very friendly and relaxed and even the bar staff are more jovial. Had a couple of meals in here since, food is quality not quantity and if you want just that little bit more all you have to do is ask.

• Visited December 2013