“Furness Abbey Is A great Place To Visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Furness Abbey

Furness Abbey
NY
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Furness Abbey Is A great Place To Visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2009

I went to the Furness Abbey, what a beautiful place to visit. A must see when you visit Cumbria.

2 Thank socoant

Barrow-in-Furness
167 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 199 helpful votes
“Furness Abbey”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2008

I live very near to Furness Abbey and have therefore attended on numerous visits. It is the favourite choice for school trips and the children always enjoy their visit. It gives a good insight into the history behind the ruins and has a little museum at the beginning of it. It also has a gift shop to get your little souveniers. I wouldn't recommend this with young children, but children over 8 and like such things should enjoy this visit. It is very educational, great value for money and a relaxing stroll if you are near the Barrow area.

1 Thank SparklinDiamond
Colchester
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Furness Abbey”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2007

In August 2007 me and my brother and our three children aged between 10 and 16 went on a walking/site seeing trip to the lake district (and my god it rained) apart from making up new swear words to describe how wet we got we spent ½ a day at Barrow where we went to see FURNESS ABBEY for people who haven’t been there it’s a magnificent ruined abbey spectacular and inspiring with a small museum at the entrance where you are able to obtain those wandy things which you walk around punch in numbers and listen to the guide (very informative). For the children they were able to run around and climb on some of the bits of stone work and we had an excellent 3 hours of entertainment. I FEEL I MUST MENTION THE FOLLOWING!!!!!!!!! If you plan to go there with very young children or on a very wet day I was surprised/shocked to see the culverts (streams the monks diverted through the abbey) not only still very high with water but running at great speed now these culverts run under ground and I dread to think what would happen if someone fell/slipped in. Even more no warning was given when we went in at the pay desk (considering see could see I had three children with me).If I can work out how to I will put small video up.
So to sum up.

1. Excellent ruins
2. Informative museums
3. If you need a quiet break (Train goes past if it blows it horn it will make you jump)
4. Excellent value for money