The Duke of Edinburgh Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Dunes Hotel(Barrow-in-Furness)
$99
Ambrose Hotel(Barrow-in-Furness)(Great Value!)
$96
$93
Travelocity
The Chetwynde Hotel(Barrow-in-Furness)
$81
The Furness Railway Hotel(Barrow-in-Furness)(Great Value!)
$45
  • Restaurant
Travelodge Barrow in Furness(Barrow-in-Furness)(Great Value!)
$52
Travelodge
Premier Inn Barrow-In-Furness Hotel(Barrow-in-Furness)(Great Value!)
$78
$58
TripAdvisor
The Royal Hotel(Barrow-in-Furness)
TripAdvisor
All reviewslovely hotelexecutive roomroll top bathcar parkrailway stationmy partnerbar areatesco expressfree parkinglovely roomold buildingreal alenice atmospherecocktail bartop floorfull englishhigh standard
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 31, 2009

Stayed for three nights over Christmas visiting friends and family. Had a really excellent experience throughout. My room 314 was a suite built into the very top of the building with lots of exposed beams a super roll top bath and bathroom straight from a designer magazine. I had to admit I was surprised, I didnt expect this type and style in Barrow. The food was excellent, breakfast cooked and suffice, the sandwiches were delicious though I didn't enjoy the chips (I suppose chips and trendy hotels dont go hand in hand). All in all a really happy and fun Christmas with me, the family, friends and the Duke.

Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 17, 2009

Went for our works christmas 'do', around 30 of us in all. the soup was ok but bland, and the raspberry roulade dessert was edible. however, the vegetarian main course was a nut roast which was so thin it was crispy and also tasteless, a couple of roast potatoes each, tiny batons of carrot & swede and sprouts which were so hard i couldnt bite into them. No peas, cauliflower, boiled potatoes etc. several others got their vegetables 20mins before their meat, half of those having beef werent offered a yorkshire pudding, and to bring one small gravy boat to a table of 8 was riddiculous. We were offered tea or coffee, but not even a mince pie! The meal was £27.50 per person, i wouldnt have paid £7.50. complaints fell on deaf ears & i know now why they insisted on full payment the week before. i would never eat there again, and urge everyone to avoid it

Stayed: December 2009
1  Thank geordie0
Reviewed December 1, 2009

I have dined here several times and it was on my recommendation that my family and repsective partners arrived on a cold windy evening mid week. The ambience of this place is spot on - roaring fire, mood lighting, stylish furniture. We ordered drinks and the waiter kindly offered to re arrange some tables as there were six of us and no suitable tables available. The Specials Board was particulary uninspiring and littered with meals I'd serve at home if I was in a rush with little in the cupboards. In the end I opted for spinach and ricotta ravioli with Mediterranean vegetables. Sounded fairly nice. In reality was boardering on unpleasant. The pasta looked like it was out of a packet and the filling was mushy and tastless. As for the Mediterranean vegetables...a few small pieces of cougette. The waitress offered no Parmesan or black pepper. My dad ordered the fish and chips which came with no tartare sauce despite being advertised as an accompaniment to the meal - 'home-made tartare sauce'. I have ordered this dish twice before and didn't receive any sauce either. My partner had meatballs off the specials menu which were bland. A theme of a serious lack of seasoning ran through all of our meals. When the waitress asked if we had enjoyed our meal I mentioned the blandness of the food; the response was vague and uninterested. She mumbled that she'd tell the chef. I don't know whether she did or not as we heard nothing more of it. A message from the chef to acknowledge our complaint would have been appreciated. All in all, this was an extremely disappointing meal. The only reason I haven't chosen the Terrible option is due to the feel and look of the place itself. I left feeling hard done by after recommending we eat here and being so let down. It was the first time my parents have eaten here and they both said they wouldn't return. I find it very hard to believe that an Our Executive Chef as the website says, would be happy serving the standard of food we received.

no seasing. meatnballs tastkless

Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank CEHCumbria
Reviewed October 6, 2009

Stayed here with a large group of friends over 30 of us. Made very welcome by the staff, lovely rooms & excellent food. Good position for the town & visiting the lakes. On a busy junction & the car park is over the road but nobody messed with the 20 odd motorbikes parked there so no problem wth security. The bar is very popular with the locals excellant real ales served the whole place has a real buzz about it. Well worth considering when visiting the Lakes instead of the usual tourist towns.

• Stayed: September 2009
Reviewed September 26, 2009

We stayed at the Duke for a week and had a very decent experience. Good room with great service, Good food, good staff, good bar staff and an overall good effort on behalf of the Hotel. I have told quite a few of my friends about the Hotel and its by far the best in Barrow. The pint of Lancaster Bomber was to die for as was the Lancaster Red. If I can give one word of advise to the Hotel it would be to get a pay phone installed or have an outside line hooked up to the room phones.I had to get reception to call cabs and I needed to use a phone on a few occaisions. Thats not a complaint but it would have made life a bit easier for us. To sum up I would say without a doubt I would stay at this hotel on my future visits to Barrow.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple