“Lovely room - shame about the location!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Duke of Edinburgh Hotel

The Duke of Edinburgh Hotel
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Barrow-in-Furness
Scotland
“Lovely room - shame about the location!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2009

My partner booked a weekend away in The Lakes as a surprise over Easter weekend. We checked the reviews of the hotel before we left and, while some of these were mixed, we were looking forward to getting away from it all and relaxing for a few days.

Upon entering Barrow we werent exactly excited..the place looks tired with alot of shops closed and buildings in various states of disrepair. After going for a walk to explore we both felt depressed with the surroundings and headed for the hotel. We checked in with no problems-although the staff were not overly friendly. Our room was fantastic. Just as other reviewers have stated you can tell alot of money has been spent on the fixtures and fittings - plasma tv, clean modern bathroom and the most amazing chandellier above the bed! Very chic, i was impressed.

We decided to have dinner in the bar after our long journey. The bar area is very modern and the girl who served us was very friendly. I ordered fish and chips, my partner ordered Steak and Ale pie. When my food arrived there was no homemade tartare sauce as stated, i had to ask for it. The fish was very oily and didnt taste of much else. My partners meal was better although the vegetables were cold. We waited 35-40 minutes before the table was cleared by which time the bar and dining area had been overtaken by non residents and was so noisy we could bearly have a conversation..no coffees after dinner for us!-we were glad to get out! This brings me onto another point about the hotel which we feel needs mentioned. Apart from the noisy and very busy bar area there is no where for residents to sit and have a coffee or a drink after dinner. The bar on the Friday and Saturday night was literally like a nightclub which is fine if we had been looking for that but its not our idea of a relaxing weekend. I feel a lounge area for residents would be a huge benefit (if there was one then we were never told about it!).

The bar does have a fantastic selection of beers however was lacking probably one the most common liquers... Baileys....

On the second night I was awoken just before midnight by the fire alarm. We scrambled out of bed to the nearest fire escape only to find..the gate lwas ocked outside....thank god it was just some drunk pressing the fire alarm button as we would have had to re enter the 'burning building' and make our way down to reception. I did report this to one of the staff as we all stood outside so i assume this has been addressed. If this had been a real fire health and safety would have had a field day!

Breakfast was dissappointing. We have stayed in many hotels and the choice for the 'buffet' was yoghurts (unrefridgerated), tinned fruit cocktail, tinned grapefruit and cereals (with jugs of milk which again were unrefridgerated as was the juice selection). The second day the tinned fruit cocktail was changed to....tinned prunes! I asked if they had an croissants as they were listed as being avaiable on the room service menu-no, was the answer. The cooked breakfast was again, a little on the greasy side but ok. My partner just had the bacon the second morning and it looked slightly better. I went for the toast option.

All in all, the hotel has been refurbished beautifully. The food was a let down and not having a residents lounge was sadly missed. I wouldnt recommend the hotel to family/ friends as Barrow itself was despressing but i suppose for if your in the area for business and you want a clean place to stay with a modern bedroom then its a good option. Sadly, it wasnt for us.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2009

We had a very nice two-night stay at this hotel while visiting relatives in the area. Our room was a reasonable size, with a large, comfortable bed, nice decor and a good sized, modern bathroom. The lighting system was a little confusing at first, as were the shower taps, but everything worked well, was very clean and there was plenty of hot water (no towel rails though?).
Our check-in and check-out was fast and efficient if a tad unfriendly. The gentleman obviously had other things on his mind.
The downstairs areas were nicely done, and breakfast was cooked to order and quite delicious. A second cup of coffee was a little difficult to come by, but I guess you can't have everything.
All in all it was a very nice stay. Barrow-in-Furness is quite charming with the Furness Abbey, the Lake District, The Dock Museum and some nice pubs and views in the area. I would definitely stay again if coming to town.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
bathgate
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2009

Having just returned from a short stay at The Duke Hotel I can honestly say it was excellent value for money. The hotel was lovely and in particular our bedroom and fantastic huge shower !
The food was fantastic and the staff really helpfull.
My only regret was not looking more closely into the town as Barrow was pretty bad, not even the locals like it having spoken to a few of them !!
As it was our first visit to the lake district the I've put it down to experience, will deffinately go again but will stay in Bowness or Ambleside the next time as they are beautiful places to visit !

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2009

Read the review below before posting and do not agree. As a gentleman who spends many months in Barrow working, I can tell you that the Duke is a long way ahead of all the similar local hotels, even the Abbey House Hotel. Food is very good and consistent, rooms are impressive even by Spanish standards and now they have a lift I fail to have a heart attack to climb 70 stairs. The staff are better than in January last year and every time I return I see something else new. Ignore the critical guests, it is a special hotel.

By the way I do not work for the hotel directors, I am happy to be contacted for more information if you need.

• Liked — Everytime I visit it develops.
  • Disliked — Because of the money spent on the building, people try and criticise. Staff work very hard.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
london
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2009

Firsty I would suggest that a number of the previous reviews have been written by those associated with the development. Come off it, who writes that there is a selection of over 50 beers and that staff are developing! The give away is the straight 5s. Ive marked it down to compensate.

Booking in did not go well. I was told that they had no booking for me and I would have to move to another hotel for my second night. I know the one they mean, I was very worried. 5 minutes later my booking was found.

As I made my way to the lift I noticed that in full view were stacked bales of hotel linen, old carpets, signs and some wood offcuts. They stayed on full view to everyone for the whole stay, so stylish!

The 'executive room', was of a very good standard though light sleepers might suffer as there is no double glazing to a busy road junction. I was fine and found the bed comfy. Very good and spacious P shaped bath, great shower head.

Why given the great fittings had the bath sealing then been later touched up in ugly lumps that had now gone mouldy. Not what you want for £80. A sure sign an amateur have been given the ongoing maintenance responsibility. A number of stains are appearing on the walls, easily painted over but no action. This was to be a common theme. A great refurb providing a boutique look but a complete lack of ongoing management or customer focus.

The food was good with generous portions, (brilliant runny omelette for breakfast) and the kitchen took my order even though I was 10 minutes late. Staff are very easy going and friendly and always available. Yes there is not much of a buffet and it could be improved easily but its very difficult to find a freshly cooked breakfast of this standard e.g. my scrambled egg was pan cooked to order..

Lounge/bar is very well designed, modern and relaxing with a real fire. Why oh why have the TVs with a 15 second loop advertising Sunday lunch and a request to give in your business card on day and night?

Breakfast was cooked to order though my toast was forgotten and I had to ask for the one (very large) orange juice jug to be reflilled. A change of staff on day two meant the first two tables I went to were dirty covered in crumbs etc, the last choice, less, so but still not cleaned properly with cup rings everywhere.

At dinner I asked for the steak special only to be told the menu had changed. Rather bemusedly I was told I could have the sirloin steak but at £13.95 rather than the advertised £9. The reason being the menu in the rooms has no relation to that in the lounge. All of the cheaper items are no longer available but why change the very nice hotel guides? Apologies here I accidentally put it in my bag but will send it back.

I was getting the hang of the place now and mischeviously asked for the eggs benedict for breakfast and you guessed it ,was told it was off that day! Every day?

Checking out was easy, though staff were having problems with the technology. One said "this must have cost over £500 but it doesnt work". Too true I thought as I looked up at what had previously been a pair of wall lamps. One had gone, presumably broken but rather than buy another pair, a length of cord hung on the wall. And the last thing I noticed? The rather attractive planters I had first seen in the porch . . . from behind you can see that one pot has been badly broken and the soil is hanging out.

After leaving I passed by Weatherspoons and instantly realised the difference; a cleaner was individually washing the leaves on a seven foot plant.

I really wanted to like this place and at many levels did . It has so much going for it and the staff really do have potential but the management is so average for what could be a really great hotel. I wanted to stop everything, call all the staff together and get it sorted, it wouldnt take much.

Looking around I would say that standards in Britain are generally worse, but we are starting from a low base.

Go before it falls apart!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank LondonDerek
TheDuke1871, Owner at The Duke of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2009
Firstly, to the best of my knowledge nobody connected with the management of the Duke of Edinburgh Hotel has been submitting fake reviews. As a point of fact we have over 68 beers (not 50) in the main bar and the fact that our staff are "developing" is really not hugely positive for us !

I make a point of reviewing all negative and positive comments made about our hotel. I felt your review was worth a full response.

Firstly the "checking in" process simply was not good enough and has been improved in recent weeks. The reception team is now available twelve hours a day, seven days a week. Furthermore the General Manager now bases himself in reception. We believe we've rectified the minor but inconvenient errors of the past.

In relation to items being "on display" at the foot of the stairwell. This was a one off problem and related to a new laundry routine we were implementing. We've spent thousands of man hours and millions of pounds creating an extremely stylish urban hotel, comparable with anything in Cumbria, and such disorganisation is not acceptable. It should not re-occur.

In relation to your room, which I'm told was 210. We've taken your comments on board and whilst we genuinely believe they were somewhat over the top, we will be completely overhauling this room in the next week. This refurb will include painting all the walls and a refurb of the bathroom. We want all our rooms to be perfect.

Thank your for your kind comments about the food.

In relation to the general upkeep of the hotel. We employ two "time served" maintenance professionals who together work over sixty hours every single week ensuring the rooms are in excellent condition and the building is maintained. The hotel has been transformed from a ramshackle, tired bed breakfast to a luxury hotel in just over two years. It is a very large Victorian building and requires constant attention, however as the vast majority of the reviews on Tripadvisor state, the interior is in superb order. Very few hotels of our size anywhere in England have the same policy/expenditure on maintenance. I can only assume your comment re Wetherspoons was in jest.

Finally - we would like to ask you back for a second (complimentary) stay. Whilst I do not agree with some of your criticisms, I genuinely respect the detail and effort employed in finding them. Naturally we know your name and my colleagues would be happy to arrange this visit the next time you're in the area. Hopefully during this second stay we can satisfy most, if not all, of your concerns.
lancs
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2008

Stayed a night at the Duke with my husband and young daughter in one of the apartment rooms. To get to the room you had to pass the function room and empty boxes, spare tables etc. left in the corridor! The room was in fact 3 rooms, a smallish room filled with a large comfy bed, a room with a sofa and desk and a bathroom. Although I booked for three people, the sofa which I think may have been a sofa bed was not made up, extra bedding was on a very high shelf so we all slept in the one bed.

Overall the room was nicely finished (apparently only completed in the last couple of weeks) but there were a number of things that put us off the hotel:

- arrived to an unmanned reception and a huge heap of dirty table cloths etc. After ringing the bell, a girl popped her head round and said someone was coming. We waited and no-one came so rang the bell again and a young man arrived.

- when we asked if we needed to book a table for dinner, he advised that they'd finished serving food at 6pm. It did NOT say this in any of the advertising. He went to see the chef and said that all they had left was vegetable soup and they could do us a sandwich. When I asked if they were serving bar food, the answer was the same and room service is not available. We therefore had to go out to eat and the young man reserved us a table at a nearby restaurant. Tip - check the restaurant availability particularly if you're staying on a Sunday.

- the room was newly furnished but overlooked a disgusting alley piled high with cardboard boxes, crates and litter - most unattractive! There was also about 10 sheets of loo paper left on the roll and no spare roll so I had to ask for more. The reception guy who I spoke to said he'd bring it up and didn't so I had to ask again!

Breakfast - cereals (no pastries), cooked breakfast - nicely done.

In summary, the room was newly refurbished so was a decent standard but lots of other little things left us feeling that the Duke is lacking something. It certainly didn't live up to the description.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank rooc
Many of the criticisms in this review relate to the fact that the hotel had just been completed and were issues symptomatic with the construction of a brand new wing of the hotel.

The bedding/linen is no longer visible as our linen room is now open and operating behind the lift.

The hotel offers a choice of restaurant or bar dining for residents and non residents every evening until 9pm apart from Sunday when we are only serving residents after 6pm. The restaurant (Bistro 1871) only opened six weeks ago.

As the building work has now (after 30 long months) completely finished we have cleared and organised the alley at the rear of the building.

The corridors to all the rooms are now smart and in keeping with the rest of the hotel. When there are over twenty contractors working on various rooms our prime focus was on noise and dust pollution. On occasion corridors got disorganised with building clutter, naturally that issue has now been rectified.

As mentioned in another response we have revamped our reception and there are now staff available 24 hours a day/7 days a week.
Glasgow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2008

I've got to say I've stayed in quite a few hotels and this is one of the best! It is a lovely hotel, a beautiful building with a gorgeous room! It has all the facilities you need and the decor is beautiful. Rooms are very clean and well maintained. They are spacious and very comfortable. The staff are really nice and very helpful. They really made me feel very welcome.

Ignore any negative reviews. The hotel is putting in that lift so don't worry about the stairs!! I would honestly recommend this to anyone, I wish I could have stayed longer!

• Liked — The staff and decor
  • Disliked — it was all brilliant!
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barrow-in-Furness
The Furness Railway Hotel
The Furness Railway Hotel
#1 of 13 in Barrow-in-Furness
Abbey House Hotel
Abbey House Hotel
#3 of 13 in Barrow-in-Furness
Premier Inn Barrow-In-Furness Hotel
Premier Inn Barrow-In-Furness Ho...
#2 of 13 in Barrow-in-Furness
Damson Dene Hotel
Damson Dene Hotel
#1 of 1 in Crosthwaite
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,054 reviews

Been to The Duke of Edinburgh Hotel? Share your experiences!