The Duke of Edinburgh Hotel
Premier Inn Barrow-In-Furness Hotel(Barrow-in-Furness)(Great Value!)
$62
$89
Hotwire.com
The Chetwynde Hotel(Barrow-in-Furness)
$78
The Furness Railway Hotel(Barrow-in-Furness)(Great Value!)
$43
  • Restaurant
Abbey House Hotel(Barrow-in-Furness)
$80
$78
Travelodge Barrow in Furness(Barrow-in-Furness)(Great Value!)
$43
$50
TripAdvisor
The Royal Hotel(Barrow-in-Furness)
TripAdvisor
All reviewslovely hotelexecutive roomroll top bathcar parkrailway stationmy partnerbar areatesco expressfree parkinglovely roomold buildingreal alenice atmospherecocktail bartop floorfull englishhigh standard
Reviewed July 17, 2011

Try to use the Duke when I can. It is within walking distance of the train station, plus has a great bar and restaurant in the lobby. You can walk to Tesco or any of the local areas. If you are working at the shipyard, it is the perfect location.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank THUNDARR
Reviewed June 19, 2011

We booked a family room, We had looked at pictures on the website and thought how luxurious it all looked. We were rather disappointed when we arrived to find that we did not have the roll top bath with seperate shower that were in the pictures. What we actually had was a tiny bathroom with a shower over and constant noise from the alley way at the back, And noise from the corridor near our room where i assume the staff prepare food etc.We had not much sleep from 4am onwards.

It seems that if you are a family you do not get luxury, we were able to see a room that was £5 more than ours and it was fantastic, Roll top bath, seperate shower and very spacious. They had dressing gown with slippers. We had none of this!

On a better note, the staff were helpful and the breakfast was fantastic.

If you are a couple this hotel would be fantastic, for a family paying £5 less than for an executive room and you loose all the luxury is just not good.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 14, 2011

I practically live in this hotel, I have done for 18 months, and it's BY CHOICE I'm in "The Duke" and not anywhere else nearby. As a result, I am particularly well positioned to comment on this hotel.

In General.
It's a large Victorian hotel, brought right up to date with modern rooms, while maintaining some period features. Some of the art around the place is odd. The lift is very slow, if you're on the 3rd floor call it before you go to bed for use at breakfast. OK it's not THAT slow. But it is faster to walk. This hotel will be absolutely full for a month in advance for weeknights.

The Rooms.
I have stayed in many of the rooms on all the floors and have to say that I prefer the new(er) rooms on the ground floor (all the rooms are new, these are the latest ones, at the time of writing, Jun '11). Although it sounds like this can't be true, the rooms on the ground floor right next to the traffic junction are the quietest in the hotel, as they have well insulated and sealed windows. This means they can't be opened, but these rooms have individual AC units for temperature control.

All the rooms are well appointed with Super King size beds (in the double rooms), a writing desk, iron and board, comfy chairs and/or sofa and have very stylish bathrooms. Some of the rooms have odd idiosyncrasies, like no plug sockets where it would be perfect to set up the ironing board (305!), but they are quite rare.

The WiFi can be patchy to connect to in some of the upstairs rooms at the back of the hotel. I find that a good excuse to go down to the bar with my laptop and have a pint!

The Food and Drink.
In a word, Excellent.
I have been to an awful lot of (and a lot of awful!) restaurants in Barrow, and quite simply, the Duke is one of, if not THE, best in Barrow. It's very nicely priced too, OK it's not cheaper than Wetherspoons down the road, but if that's your bag, then there's also a McDonalds and a Subway a short walk away...
The deep fried poached egg on black pudding starter is divine (although I limit myself to once in a blue moon). The pizzas are truly excellent, and a "medium" will satisfy most appetites.
Drinks are quite expensive, however they will have just about everything you could want in terms of spirits and eclectic beers, and a good range of hand pulled ales as well.

The Service
The staff in the hotel are consistent (very low turnover) and very friendly. The receptionists are very easy on the eye and will address any problems you have, so I would emphatically urge anyone who feels they have any issues with a room, the food, or anything to TELL THE HOTEL STAFF AT THE TIME. Don't wait until check out after feeling like you've been forced to suffer for your stay and then whine about it on Trip Advisor. That doesn't help you during your stay, or provide feedback to the hotel staff to enable them to address the inevitable faults and quirks.

I think the only way this hotel could improve would be a more "loungy" area than the bar. Quiet with comfy sofas and low tables. The bar can get really busy and loud at times.

There are apparently more extensions and developments planned for the future, so the best place to stay in Barrow can only get better.

Room Tip: 010-016 are quiet. 222 is spacious.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed June 9, 2011

Stayed at this hotel for 5 nights. The outside of the hotel is rather grim, but once inside it is pleasant. The reception area, bar/ restaurant are welcoming and the staff were all very friendly and helpful.

First impressions of our room and bathroom was very positive, stylish and modern. However, on some things I felt that it had been designed for style over comfort. There were no towel rails in the bathroom, just one towel ring, which was really small, so couldn't possibly take the bath towels. The power points for the hairdryer were no where near the mirror, and the concealed lighting in the ceiling provided very little light.
The breakfast was excellent; help yourself for cereal/fruit/juice and then a made to order breakfast, with toast and tea or coffee. The staff at breakfast were lovely.

Barrow is a real mixture, some brand new buildings and some areas just boarded up. The hotel has it's own restaurant, and there are a few other options nearby, for a pub meal, but there are no chain restaurants, or anything that could be called fine dining. We ate in the nearby Indian one evening, food was fine, but the decor stuck in a time warp.

We travelled to Barrow by car, but as my husband was working for three of the days I used the local train service to travel up the coast. The station was just over the road from the hotel. I also visited the Dock Museum which was interesting.

Barrow doesn't sell itself as a tourist area, although the nearby Walney island was great for an early evening stroll, or to watch the sunset. At the weekend we drove to Haverthwaite to get the steam train to Windermere, and also walked in the Duddon Valley.

The Lake District is so close that I am surprised more people don't base themselves in Barrow, especially as it offers good value, compared to some of the prices for hotels in the Lake District.

I would definitely recommend this hotel for anyone wanting to stay in Barrow, it's only a few minutes walk into the town, whereas many of the other TA high rated hotels are much further out of town.

The hotel provides a pass for your car, so that you can park in the car park opposite the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed June 5, 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights due to my partner working in the area. From the minute I booked the hotel to when we the left there wasn't a fault to be found with our stay at The Duke Of Edinburgh. We had an executive room which was just perfect. The bed was the most comfortable I have slept in! The room was of ample size and even accomadated the travel cot comfortably. I must mention the staff as they were all just lovely especially the girl at breakfast both mornings - so polite - quite unusual these days!!!
The food was as good as the room with the Sunday lunch being incredable value. Will most definatley be staying here again on our next visit!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family