“Very very noisy!”
Review of Hotel Imperial

Hotel Imperial
Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Barrow-in-Furness
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We were supposed to stay at the majestic hotel on a Saturday night however when we arrived at 4pm we were told someone had mistaken my double exec booking for a single and there were now no doubles available. Luckily the hotel had a twin hotel, imperial hotel, which was apparently much nicer. However, this hotel had no parking so we had to park over the road and pay! We were then unable to get any sleep due to the bars and nightclubs underneath the hotel, even though we were 3 floors up and had ear plugs! As we had to be up at 6.30 this was not welcomed! The noise was extremely loud and caused the room to feel like it was vibrating! I would not stay here and would not recommend anyone else do so unless you are going to be out to the early hours! The bedroom itself was ok. We stayed in room 308 which had stains down one side of the wall from where it looked like there had been a leak! I would also suggest taking some pillows as the ones at the hotel are as solid as a rock!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Jade J

Reviewed September 22, 2012

Hotel is an old building which looks like it's had a recent refurb. Window in room was old wooden single glazing but the decent sized room looked very new. There was a 32 inch flatscreen TV which had all the Freeview channels (most hotels I've been to only have some of the Freeview channels for some reason), kettle and some storage space. Room and bathroom were very clean. I stayed on a weeknight so didn't hear any music which others have complained about and had a good night's sleep. Cooked breakfast was good too. I would stay here again if I ever go back to Barrow.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank red_wanderer
Reviewed August 24, 2012

I took a group of 5 to work in Barrow and we booked in at The Imperial Hotel.
From the moment we got there to the moment we left we were treated like Royalty.
From the receptionists to the bar staff to the night porter, all smiling and pleased to see us.

Great cocktails in the bar (Aspire - a luxury and very cool bar) before and after we ventured out to Francesco's for a very nice Italian meal. The prices here were very reasonable and the portions more than enough.

No bother with noise like other reviewers commented even though we stayed on a Saturday night.

The hotel also has an all night bar which was very welcome after working til late.

You won't find anywhere to touch this hotel in Barrow!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Mark D
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Horrid.
We were warned that our room was discounted because you could here noise from the pub below. Fair enough.
However, this wasn't just noise, Items on our bedside tables were physically moving along with the bass from the club speakers which i'm sure were nailed to the ceiling under our bed. The shaking stopped at 3: 30 ish and we managed to get some sleep. we were then shocked awake about 6 am by a horrendous glass smashing noise. Looked out the window to see a bemused chap in the room opposite peering down to the ground. He told us he opened the sash window for some air and it just fell out, frame and all. I would have laughed out loud normally if i wasn't so tired. Went back to sleep untill 10 ish ' missed breakfast so cant comment on that.
I half expected jeremy beadle to pop out with a fake beard and a microphone when we went to check out. I think we would have had a better night sleeping in the bus shelter opposite.
The End.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Sweetpea-and-me
Ana B, Manager at Hotel Imperial, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2012

Whilst we sympathise with the customer's position we must insist prospective guests understand our 'classic room' deal. The noise emanates from the ground floor 'nightclub', not merely a pub as suggested in this review. This is clearly explained in our Late Room description before booking. Many other standard rate rooms are available which do not suffer from noise pollution.

Whilst we do not wish to disclose private affairs, the incident involving a broken window pain was a domestic matter between a couple which involved police attendance and the customer later paying for the inflicted damage.

Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

Stayed for two days before moving to their sister hotel. Rooms are excellent, modern and snazzy festooned with mirrors and shiny metal. Problem is location. It's at the end of a very shabby street full of derelict bars and boarded up night clubs. It is noisy and as a single lady I wasnt comfortable walking around at night.

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank Paulalucas
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Booked through late rooms.com before reading the negative reviews on trip advisor and so I was a bit nervous of what to expect. I stay in a fair few hotels each year, mostly on business, and I have to report that I was pleasantly surprised by this hotel! My single room on the second floor was clean and modern with a great bathroom and on the Monday evening I stayed the noisiest thing I heard was the seagulls! However, as other reviewers have noted this hotel does seem to be on Barrow's main street for nightclubs so I can imagine noise might be an issue at the weekend!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 15, 2012

The Imperial is still pretty fresh from its refurbishment so the hotel looks very modern and is very welcoming, especially in the Wine Bar on the round floor. We got a room on the 1st floor and although we had been pre-warned that these rooms are at a reduced rate due to the nightclub next door, I hadnt quite expected the level of noise we experienced. The music was so loud that the bass vibrated through the floor and through the pipes of the central heating which I found absolutely ridiculous, as the windows are not double glazed you could hear people stood outside at the smoking area as if they were in the same room. Fair enough you are told prior to your stay about the noise but I felt it was unacceptable to pay £40 to stay up until 3am when the nightclub closes.

The room itself was nice and clean and quite modern for the 'cheap' rooms. The bathroom was nice with plenty of towels, soap, shower gel etc and there was plenty of tea and coffee in the rooms.

As the rooms were exposed to severe noise you are allowed a late checkout but as you cant get any sleep until after 3am we got up at 10am and missed breakfast which is only served between 6.30 and 9.30, surely they breakfast should be made later???

I wouldnt recommend unless you are planning a night out and wouldnt get back to the hotel until the early hours. If you want to get a good nights sleep either stay sun-wed or avoid!!!

Room Tip: If you want any chance of sleeping ask for a room on the top floor!