“Food is amazing”

One Restaurant & Bar
Cuisines: British
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: A contemporary restaurant and bar. Serving a range of steaks, chicken, chops, home-made burgers, hot dogs and sides that can be made into sharing platters. Good vegetarian selection.ONE restaurant open Wednesday to Sunday adjacent to our sister restaurant in the grade 2 listed Custom House building. Visit our website for menus, opening hours and on-line bookings.
Reviewed February 24, 2014 via mobile

Eaten here numerous times never been let down. Order Chilli dog. Its nice and spicy good size. If you finish these well portioned meals you are doin well

TheCustomHouse, Owner at One Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2014

Thanks Dawes2211 for your review. We're all delighted you enjoyed our food we aim to provide good value as well as taste. Do come again.

Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

The decor was nice .. the food however was dissapointing especially after pre ordering the day before.

We all had different burgers and three of the men ordered doubles which didnt arrive. When we complained at being charged for the extra burger the chef came out from the kitchen and was loudley talking to the waiting staff and accused us of lying .
Now as we were expected to pay over 200 pounds we were hardley trying to milk a few pound discount.

The waitress was apologetic for the chefs behavior and we did recieve a free round of drinks .. however the group of us will not be returning i feel the fast food establishments can produce better food at reasobable prices and i am aware sour dough buns should be harder although hard and stale are worlds apart .. nachos had also been robbed of any moisture .

1  Thank raberto24

raberto24, you visited the first month we opened when the chefs were learning a new menu and under a lot of pressure from the volume of customers. To write a review at this stage is vindictive.
Yes, the Chef was out of order demonstrating his frustration in public and that was dealt with by the General Manager at the time and without any prompting from public execution.
You were given the opportunity to comment at "checkback" by your server: you said nothing. Our Chef says he served the double patties.
Your large group was given a round of drinks by way of apology for the chef’s behaviour. You were charged for what you ate.
Incidentally, we never serve soggy nachos; the ones we use in Burger Parlour are crisp and dry. As for sourdough, we have replaced it with a choice of brioche or floured bap to suit the majority of local palates. Our food is not over processed: it is made from scratch.

Reviewed February 15, 2014

Went here for lunch and loved it. The decor is good. The staff are very friendly, helpful and efficient. The place has a lovely, relaxed atmosphere with good music which is not too loud. The burgers are really delicious. I had the three mini burgers, all of which were really good and chips were excellent. My partner had the special lamb burger which looked huge to me but he managed it with chips! He said it was very tasty. Will definitely be visiting again.

TheCustomHouse, Owner at One Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2014

Thank you discerning60 for writing such a positive review and we are all delighted to read you had such a positive experience.
Hope to see you both again soon.

Reviewed February 12, 2014 via mobile

Lovely American style decor and friendly staff. the food portions are great and the prices are good for how much you get.

TheCustomHouse, Owner at One Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2014

Thanks catherine214 for your review, the team will be pleased :-)

Reviewed January 29, 2014

We visited the Burger Parlour yesterday evening and were quickly seated at a table despite having no reservation.

It wasn't particularly busy, I'd say at least a third of the tables were free, yet we'd been there an hour before food hit the table. That's too long for 'fast food' and we were getting impatient. The wait would put me off coming for a burger before a trip to the cinema for instance, which you're perfectly positioned for.

The presentation was great and in keeping with the parlour's style, setting it clearly apart from the Sister restaurant, The Custom House. I liked the fact that relish was served on the side too so that we could decide ourselves, it's little things like that that make the difference.

The onion rings we ordered were excellent, home made and enough to share between three. I can't fault the pricing on sides when the sizes are this generous. The fries served with our burgers were amongst the best I've tasted. However...

I pulled the short straw out of our group. I was the only one to order a (non veggie) burger and I wasn't sold on it at all. The patty its self was far too dense, making it tough to bite. I wonder if that's down to the mince being so finely ground or compressing and handling them too much? It was also overcooked for my liking, but I understand that is down to preference and not a fault of the kitchen staff.

The bun was dry and crumbling in my hands making the burger difficult to eat. Given the shape of the patties, there's a good few bites of bread before you reach the meat, if that wasn't the case I imagine people would fault the bun less. I'm not sure if it was a little stale or perhaps they are just like that, either way, I think the bun could do with a bit of work and a lot of reviewers here seem to agree. I second the calls for brioche.

I feel a little like fellow reviewer 'laycat'; was I expecting too much for Barrow? I hope that isn't the case. I realise it takes time to hone and perfect any new venture, particularly in the food industry and I do hope that with a few tweaks here and there that we'll be back for a meal we enjoy.

TheCustomHouse, Owner at One Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2014

I have unsuccessfully attempted to track your table’s order. Since BP is closed on Mondays & Tuesdays and you reviewed on a Wednesday my detective work has been challenged especially as the weekend you visited was extremely busy.
You say it was an hour before your meals “hit the table”. I suspect your clock started ticking from when you walked in. If other tables had walked in shortly before you then those customers’ drinks and food orders took priority over yours. Add time for perusing the drinks and food menus, kitchen queuing time and cooking time then 40 minutes is a possibility but an hour is regrettable.

Please note Vicki, we don’t serve “fast food”. If you want that then I suggest you visit one of the chains close by where their range of burgers is limited to only one type of meat with thin patties that can be cooked quickly or are already cooked ready to serve. We offer a range of different meats and a variety of burgers that are thick, weighing 6oz and take 15 minutes to cook.

We have spoken with our head chef who believes that perhaps meat may have been over handled and this has now been addressed. Our instruction from Barrow B Council’s Environmental Health Dept is that burgers MUST be fully cooked, nothing we can do about that.

I imagine your burger was served in the rustic bun (sourdough) which has a harder crust and is dense. We do offer brioche but since we have had problems with regular supplies we may not have had them the day you visited. Perhaps if we were city located then supplies would be easier.

Again, thanks for your feedback including the generous positive comments and glad to read your friends enjoyed their vegetarian options.