“A lovely welcome”
Review of The Royal Hotel

The Royal Hotel
Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in Barrow-in-Furness
Reviewed January 19, 2014

I cannot rate the staff in this hotel highly enough. From arriving at the hotel to leaving it every member of staff on duty were so friendly and helpful. The rooms are a good size, immaculate and with lovely bed linen and also very comfortable. Please don't be put off by the area and give this hotel a chance. The breakfast was amazing and the meals were so good we went back with friends for Sunday lunch which we couldn't fault. Thank you for a lovely stay and when we next come to barrow we will look no further.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 28, 2013

This hotel is not pretty but does the jobs. The room was clean and quiet. The building could do with a bit of tlc, there was a cracked window on the landing. The breakfast was average, I only had the ceral and toast as I had had a big meal the night before at the Chequers in Dalton.The chequers was excellant see review. The breakfast was included, to my surprise, as the booking said "room only". I will come back if as a last resort. I prefer the Chetwynes or the Abbey House.

Room Tip: Check other hotel first but this one will do.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 26, 2013

Looks are deceiving! From the outside The Royal Hotel just looked like a large pub! But our room was very clean and a lovely large bed with crisp clean linen and towels. The room (202) was on the top floor so a bit awkward if lots of stairs are a problem for you. Small room and compact on- suite shower room but clean and warm. Badly designed shower room, as the (very hot) towel rail is too close to wash basin and my husband burnt his arm while shaving! Also glass ledge above basin is an accident waiting to happen. Shower not a power shower in fact quite feeble. No wardrobe only drawers so had to hang coats,dress and suit over the back of an armchair! Very large windows with curtains but would benefit with blinds for more privacy. We were not informed that there was a free complimentary drink at the bar on your first night! Found out too late! We only stayed 1 night and did not eat breakfast or dinner there so cannot comment on food. Checking in was fine nice young lady (even tho she didn't tell us about the free drink!) but checking out was a pain as we had to wait a while and then look for someone to do it. A bit off putting when the chef in his "whites" came to help us. Great fish and chips from the Chinese takeaway right opposite the hotel!! Not sure if we would stay again only maybe if nothing else was available.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CumbriaMazzam
Reviewed November 12, 2013

I have been stopping at the Royal Hotel for around 6 weeks now, i work on the windfarms and i am staying in here until March next year.

I am leaving a review partway threw my stay because i have just read the review below and am in disbelief that there is any truth in this at all, i have had nothing but a good experience whilst i have been here at the Royal this is my home from home. I eat in the restaurant almost every night and have never experienced a bad meal the food is excellent. The rooms are in excellent condition and they are very comfortable and really clean

I would recommend anybody to stop here the staff are great the food is really good and the rooms are cleaned to a very high standard, i just feel sorry for the staff here after they work so hard to make everybody feel comfortable and welcome to have to read a review like this

I see the below review as dig by another hotel who maybe be suffering from the success of the Royal hotel, i would suggest the person who left the review or trip advisor remove the review as this i totally wrong

Good look guys at the Royal and thanks for making me and the other lads feel so welcome (the royal family lol)

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 8, 2013

The worst hotel experience I have ever been in, I had to endure two nights here, late night music, shabby rooms, poor food, the cleaner didn't even clean my sink in my room before I got to it, the sink itself had pubes and toothpaste all over it as well as footprints on it. The first night I ate at the restaurant I ordered steak when the waitress brought it to me she said the chef will knock a couple of quid off the bill for you then walked off, I had not a clue what she meant by this needless to say I didn't eat it, the second night I ate there the menu was on the table I asked for steak and ale pie, the waitress came back and said I'm sorry the chef has put the wrong menu out. The whole customer service, cleanliness and overall depressed state this hotel is in I will not be back.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank A B
Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

Just arrived very friendly staff Great meal very good value Come on Breakfast First time in Barrow in Furnace Comfy and warm room, cold and wet outside. Complimentary drink at the bar on arrival What more could you ask for

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed October 13, 2013

My company booked me in here - and was my first time in Barrow. I am due to be here for several weeks over the next few months.

Id often stay in national brands - but the photos looked good here.

The hotel has clearly had some money spent on it. The large bar area was great, and I found in the evenings that the locals and residents mixed well, and I felt quite relaxed sitting there in the evenings.

I saw some people had mentioned the Wifi, but this I was told had all been recently upgraded and I found it fine in the bar and my room.

The evening meals were great - I'd recommend the Calamari, and the Gammon!

Staff were all very helpful and attentive - and had the feel of a family run hotel with all staff seeming to enjoy their jobs and happy to assist.

I had a couple of very early starts and they were happy to make a packed lunch for me free of charge, which is pretty rare.

I think they seem pretty full, which is no surprise - it was full when I was there - and I look forward to my next stay there. I am told a large screen is going in next month for sporting events and a residents lounge is going in, which will add to it further.

Room Tip: Perhaps the 2nd floor
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business