“Crayfish and Chips”
Review of The Queens Arms

The Queens Arms
Dining options: Reservations
Description: CAMRA award winning pub in Biggar Village, South Walney Island. As well as our own selection of Real ALes we offer delicious home-made food and a warm seat by an open fire
Reviewed July 14, 2014 via mobile

A friend and I visited to try the food but weren't over hungry.

That was a good thing as we both ordered crayfish salad which was delicious and zesty and shared a portion of chips (Belgian frites) which are thrice cooked and salted and are dark golden and have a delicious caramelised taste.

We then shared a freshly made queen of puddings with fresh cream and again this was fresh, piping hot and delicious.

Heading there to try a hot rock steak this Wednesday so will review that then :-)

There are newer reviews for The Queens Arms

Reviewed June 26, 2014 via mobile

I've eaten in Michelin star restaurants and don't think I've ever eaten steak that good anywhere, some of the reviews mention the decor , this higgledy piggledy eclectically furnished pub would lose 90% of its charm if you did it up. It's perfect just as it is, yes nothing matches, great , it has a piano and guitars and tambourines and hand drums for musicians or just eager punters to have a go on , no sign of a TV in this pub and all the better for it, the seasoning on the food may be a little heavy for some peoples liking and I would guess that most of the reviews which mention this are written by auto condimenters who don't taste their food first, if it where me I just wouldn't put salt or pepper out and would look at anybody who asked for it disapprovingly , don't change a thing that's what I say

1  Thank mark p
Reviewed April 3, 2014

I had read rave reviews about this place and was looking forward to visiting. We went on a quiet Thursday lunchtime. A limited menu was offered to us, which is fair enough. We had a long wait for the Food to arrive, which again wasn,t a problem for us and a very nice local kept us amused. My fish was lovely,but the chips were overcooked and had far too much salt on them. My husbands gammon was also very over seasoned.As for the place itself I see where other reviewers are coming from when they describe it as quaint, and unusual. All I wanted to do was run the vacuum around. Clean toilets.the lady who served us was pleasant. My husband was impressed by the range of beers on offer. I run a monthly lunch club and went with the idea that the Queens would be a good interesting venue ,but in all honesty our members wouldn't find the place to their tastes.What a shame.

2  Thank sue j
Reviewed March 25, 2014

Me and my boyfriend went on a road trip from London to the lake district. We had already booked a B&B in Barrow-in-Furness but had no idea where to go for dinner. Before checking in to the B&B we decided to take a quick tour with the car in the little town to see if we could find a nice place to eat, but no, there was nothing! We ended up driving out on the little island close by and suddenly, there it was, the perfect picturesque, unique and most hospitable place we've ever come across!

We had the coolest and most delicious meal with locally produced meat served on a hot stone. The service, food taste & presentation, live music and atmosphere, created one of the best restaurant experiences we've ever had. Funny enough we had earlier that week been to both Aquashard (The shard in London) and Gordon Ramsay's Maze, and the only thing that was even close to this good was the starters at Aquashard, however everything else that The Queens Arms had to offer was soo much better!!!

Thank you for giving us a great experience on our road trip!

The Swedish Londoners

Reviewed March 23, 2014

We visited the Queens on a Sunday lunch time for their brunch offer. Full english breakfast, american pancakes, coffee or tea, all for £6.50.

I've never been before but I was surprised by the size of the place. It's a very old building and the twist and turn of the rooms seems never ending. We started off sat around a cosy fire with our coffees whilst we waited for our breakfast.

We chose to move through to the dining room, just so I could see more of the building really! As soon as we were seated our meals were ready.

I expected the portions to be on the small side given the low price but the full english was huge and couldn't be faulted. The pancakes were a welcome addition and we left feeling full to the brim and well looked after.

£14 for two huge breakfasts, pancakes, and two coffees each. You won't get that price of quality anywhere else in town, nor would you find the atmosphere this place has. We'll certainly be back for more.

1  Thank VickiHigham