“Very cosy and family orientated”

Maindee Guest House
“Very cosy and family orientated”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

The hotel was clean and food was cooked fresh. Really enjoyed the cooked breakfast

It was close to the town centre and rooms was nice a d clean very quiet area.
The owners was really nice and friendly
I would definitely recommend anyone who like to chose a excellent value hotel is to book maindee guest house.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Joanne88888

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Maindee is cosy, clean, good value and only a few minutes away from the town centre. Rooms and bathrooms are cleaned daily and come with free wifi, Freeview TV and complimentary tea and coffee that is also replenished daily. Rooms are not hugely fancy, but are private, fresh and comfortable. And, though well located, any road noise was negligible for me, though this might differ slightly depending on room location.
But the best part about my stay was that the family it is run by are so welcoming and accommodating. They make sure to take time out to chat with all their guests and were very flexible with any requests I had.
Many staying at Maindee, including myself, are busy contract workers, but the staff here made a challenging part of my life just that little bit easier. For example, they allowed me to travel to see family whenever I needed to and would not charge me for the nights I was away, while saving my room for me while I was gone and storing any bulkier items in the intervening time with no additional charge. They showed genuine care and compassion for me during my time here, and I really did feel safe.
Small niggles that could be improved upon include the breakfast menu - though filling and reasonable, the full English misses the point somewhat. While it does come with a fair amount of bacon, it only offers a single slice of toast, a single sausage, one egg and a very small dollop of baked beans, and is overall quite dry. It's more of an English Breakfast Lite, really.
The family running Maindee are Chinese, and also run their own takeaway that provides good amounts of tasty Chinese food. However, given that the takeaway is so close to the guest house, the fact the two are connected and the guest house plugs the takeaway and offers to order their food in for you, I was somewhat surprised when a £2.50 delivery charge was discretely added to my bill, which had not been mentioned. This could be avoided by simply taking a short walk to the restaurant and ordering directly - so I would strongly recommend you learn from my mistake!
Maindee also have a little chihuahua, which I did not have a problem with as I love animals - he's harmless and a bit daft and they keep well out of the way in their own living quarters, but the little guy can be a bit yappy towards guests approaching the house and passing by the foyer, which I can imagine would bother others more.
Nevertheless, Maindee is quite possibly the most homely guest house a vagrant worker such as myself could have hoped for, and I would definitely recommend it to others seeking a good value, basic base with respectful personnel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank andywillis88
Brampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 29, 2011

I stayed here for just one night as I was working in the area. This was everything a B&B should be a clean, pleasant and comfortable room followed by a decent breakfast . I will certainly stay again if I'm in Barrow.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business