“The crown”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
“The crown”
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Went to the crown 2/5/13 with friends , food was good , nice and tasty , but service was bad , had to ask to order , had to ask for a dessert menu , not offered tea/ coffee Young man was too busy eating his own meal and cleaning tables :(

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank Darcy2006

Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Fabulous friendly staff nice carvery excellent value”
Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

After visiting barrow in furniss and spending our last few hours on Walney beach me and my 7 year old decide to stop at the crown for lunch before facing the three hr dive home.
The carvery was turkey beef gammon turkey ham pie or vegetarian options. I chose the pie my son had turkey both were slightly smaller plates costing around 3.60 I think . Food was lovely had delicious cranberry gravy loads of veg and yorkshire puds.
Son had bottomless ice cream( one and he was full)
To top off our lovely meal we were told by staff that Prince William and Kate were about to pass on their way to Airport after visiting Barrow in furniss. We took 10 steps outside to have william pass by waving and smiling!

• Visited April 2013
Lancaster, United Kingdom
“Did not meet expectations!”
Reviewed April 6, 2013

As we were visiting Barrow I checked out Tripadvisor for a good place to eat with my family. The Crown had rave reviews so we decided to try it. It did not meet my expectations from other people's reviews of the place. The food was OK but was not freshly prepared, I ordered Whitby haddock and chips (can't go wrong there, i thought), the fish was obviously a frozen portion and the chips were chips, nothing special. Portion size was small and I was left still hungry when I had finished. When I go out to eat I expect to get something slightly better than if I stayed at home and cooked, this wasn't any better. The Crown is fine for a standard meal but don't expect anything special.

• Visited April 2013
4 Thank Jayne W
Lake District, United Kingdom
“Average pub serving average food”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

We went to try it out because of all,the "rave" reviews on Tripadvisor and I have great difficulty in seeing how they can be justified. The pub is welcoming but nothing special. The food is also very average and they don't bother passing on requests to the kitchen - my wife asked for her meat to be well cooked but they ignored this request.

• Visited March 2013
4 Thank Lakeland130
“Great food, great service”
Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

We booked a table on the same day we wanted to go, and they managed to squeeze us in on a busy Saturday night. When we arrived at night, our table wasn't quite ready. Even though we were quite happy to wait in the bar, the staff couldn't apologise enough - they kept coming round to check we were ok and updated us with when our table would be ready. They even gave us a glass of wine on the house, even though we weren't bothered about the table because we knew how busy it would be! The service and staff were exactly what you would want in a restaurant - efficient, helpful and friendly. Now for the food... It was as first-class as the service. The meat on my lamb shank fell away from the bone, and the red wine and rosemary sauce was perfect. I've not been to many restaurants in Barrow yet, but I'll definitely be making a return to the Crown!