“Truly unique!”
Review of The Ship Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Barrow-in-Furness
The Ship Inn
“Truly unique!”
Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

Big, well laid out rooms. Extremely comfortable memory foam mattress, Big fluffy robes and slippers and truly unique views of the castle and surrounding sea! All for such a cheap price! Don't even get me started on the food! Felt like we were in foody heaven all topped off with a genuinely fantastic staff who really do go the extra mile for everyone....and then a few more miles!

• Stayed August 2012
3 Thank Nic1711

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Reviewed July 22, 2012

We visited piel island for the day, which is a lovely little place. However, the breakfast here was not very good! Everyone ordered the full English breakfast, and I ordered a veggie breakfast. My beans were cold and the lady did not seem happy about me asking her to warm them up. Also the other three breakfasts, which were supposed to have beans, arrived without them and we didn't say anything due to the reaction to my complaint. Finally, there were a couple of other tables who seemed friendly with the staff who also ordered the breakfasts, when there's arrived they seemed to be almost twice the size of ours, with ours squeezed onto little plates. Great island but Food experience not so good!

• Stayed July 2012
7 Thank Antonia_h-w
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 18, 2012

We travel over regularly from Northern Ireland to visit Piel and enjoy the hospitality of King Steve and Queen Sheila! We're always made to feel incredibly welcome by them and the great crowd who are regualry in attendance in the pub. Our four year old daughter loves it there as she can feed the animals and look for crabs at low tide!

The rooms are outstanding, with memory foam mattresses and lovely en suite facilities, and the views of the castle out the bedroom widows are fantastic! The real gem though is King Steves cooking, a fantastic and varied menu, including pork from their own rare breed pigs! Have to say the best suasages I've ever tasted (also from their piggies)! Wash it down with some of the local cask ales and you're laughing!

Please please visit, and you'll love it as much as we do, I promise!!!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank norma637
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 12, 2012

BRILLIANT Fantastic Weekend, with family friends and of course the Royalty on the Island. Steve Sheila and the rest of the crew could not do enough for us,The pub at night time was brilliant with everyone joining in the craic the food Steve prepared was second to none,anybody who has not been to Peil should get themselves there and meet some great people enjoy great food and amzing scenery.Thanks again Steve,Sheila and the crew for making our weekend special.Len

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Len I
Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 18, 2011

Walked over to the island midweek, and arrived just about tea-time. What a wonderful mini-break.

We visit the island regularly and I've watched the renovation of the pub with interest, but this was the first time we've stayed there. It won't be the last time though!

Because it was mid-week, and the days preceding our visit had been rainy, there were no campers on the island. This meant that whilst we were wandering around the castle at twilight, it really seemed as though we had the whole place to ourselves.

The rooms in the pub are wonderfully kept, simply but extremely tastefully furnished, and very comfortable indeed.

The menu is varied and everything we had was well cooked and nicely presented. One of our party has special dietary requirements, and this was accommodated with no problem - probably best to advise first, however, when booking!

Thanks to the King of Piel and his entourage (landlord and staff) for a wonderful stay. We'll be back!

• Stayed August 2011
5 Thank Roose_Rambler
Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 10, 2011

Just back from a last minute booking of a night on the Island of PIEL..Accessed by ferry from Roa Island this quant little hotel on an island just off the mainland in Furness is a true jewel in the Furness crown.The first glimpse of thefamily run hotel belies what luxury awaits inside.This newly refurbished small hotel & rooms have been improved totally in keeping with the area yet you will get all the trimmings of a much larger establishment.We found our ensuite room had robes & slippers provided as standard,good quality bathroom products, wonderfully fluffy towels and a memory foam mattress ensured we had one of the best nights sleep in a long time.There's a castle too !
The children will be well catered for ,the Chatterways keep their own pigs, goats, ducks,hens & even a turkey. Two bunkhouse rooms are available and these too are of a good standard & would sleep a family of 4, both with woodburning stoves.I defy anyone to eat the breakfast which is locally sourced produce.I can't recommend this hotel too highly.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank chrisT73
Reviewed February 13, 2011

I absolutely love Piel. I have been regularly going for the last 10 years but can honestly say that since Steve and Sheila have taken over, it has never been better. The atmosphere is fantastic and friendly, the food is amazing, the new rooms are beatiful and the island is a little paradise. My kids love it and haven't asked to go anywhere else on holiday for years (and they are teenagers now). I could go on forever but I would urge you to try it for yourself. I'm sure you'll fall in love with it like me and my husband have.

• Stayed February 2011
5 Thank NinaMaca
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barrow-in-Furness
The Furness Railway Hotel
#1 of 7 in Barrow-in-Furness
Jeffersons Hotel
Jeffersons Hotel
#2 of 19 in Barrow-in-Furness

Been to The Ship Inn? Share your experiences!