“Best in Bowness - NOT”
Review of Villa Positano

Villa Positano
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Romantic, Kids, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Edinburgh
“Best in Bowness - NOT”
Reviewed January 29, 2009

I am sorry, but I have to agree with the previous review about this restaurant, which we also found to be very poor. We have been visiting Bowness regularly for the past eight years (it is one of our favourite places). Over this time we have made friends with some locals and to state this is where they "all" eat is simply not true.

We visited the restaurant during the summer months. I ordered a pizza and what they served could only be described as mediocre. My partner opted for veal and this was simply disgusting and hugely over-priced for what was served up. The accompanying veg was awful, overdone and unimaginative. When we made our dissatisfaction with the meal known, the staff had a "couldn't care" attitude.

To state that anyone who criticises Villa Positana knows nothing about food or drink is a bit arrogant. Over the years we have eaten in many restaurants and bistros in and around Bowness, along with some of the locals we now class as friends. Based on our experience we will not go back to Villa Postana, nor would we recommend it. Opinions can only be based on experience and unfortunately not only was our food poor, but the attitude of the staff only added to what all in all was a huge mistake. However, you learn from experience and as there are so many good places to eat in Bowness, we still love the place.

5 Thank EdinburghKath

Nottingham
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“This is where the locals eat”
Reviewed January 27, 2009

This is the busiest restaurant in the Lake District not just Bowness. That's because all the locals eat here. It 's the place frequented by hoteliers, business people and chefs such as myself.

Quite honestly anybody who criticises this place doesn't know a thing about food or wine. The Villa specialises in fish which is notoriously difficult to get right but Angelo and Roberto get it spot on. All the Italian dishes are truly authentic but then this spot is run by an Italian family.

The atmosphere at the Villa is brilliant. Reading comments about decor just makes me howl with laughter. There are plenty of smart restaurants in the area but they are nowhere near as busy as the Villa.

I have been coming to this restaurant for over 12 years now and I can honestly say I have always been treated extremely well and I have never had a poor meal.

The only downside is it's so busy you sometimes can't get a table. My advice is go early or book in advance.

1 Thank thebluesman
Biba23
“Do not eat here unless you want a 1970's culinary experience!!”
Reviewed January 27, 2009

Before eating at the Villa Positano we consulted the menu and it all sounded appealing, as it included a range of veggie and fish options.

We walked up the passage to the restaurant and were greeted at the door by staff who seemed friendly. It was quiet as it was out of season so there were only a few other patrons in the restaurant.

Unfortunately however we were also met by extensive artex and dated decor which adorned the restaurant's interior. We were willing to look at these features as "rustic charm" and hoped that this would be indicative of great, traditional Italian fayre. (We even managed to ignore musical "treats" from Dennis Roussos and Julio Iglesias).

Sadly however we should have followed our instincts. If the music and decor weren't enough to make us feel that we were in an episode of ITV's "Duty Free" then the food confirmed it. We ordered only pizza and pasta - basic dishes. When it came the food was presented in such an "old skool" manner that we were left wondering where the fondue set was. Clearly the chef had not heard of feeding the eyes as well as the stomach. My salmon pasta came on a lurid bowl decorated with images of fish and shells (seemingly intended for children ) and was very much a case of quantity over quality. All of our dishes were bland, tasteless and boring. We were both very unimpressed.

And then there was the house wine - offered in either a 75cl or 1l volume. This should have rung alarm bells however being on holiday we ordered a bottle. That was a mistake. Truly the worst wine we've ever had the misfortune to drink half a glass of. When we mentioned this to the staff at the end of our meal we were met with a curt response "why didn't you mention something sooner" and "well we have been serving this for years"; no "I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it", no "can I get you a replacement", no "we'll knock it off the bill". Just a rude and surly response.

All in all one of the worst eating experiences we have ever had. Save your money go elsewhere. Unless you want retro food and service that will remind you of Basil Faulty without the humour.

2 Thank Biba23
london
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“My favourite place in Bowness”
Reviewed January 5, 2009

I went in the summer for the 5th time and it was very busy, but all the staff were kind and friendly and we didnt have to wait much for our drinks and food to come. The food was absolutly delisious! And I have to disagree with the person who said the pizza's wern't great because they are hot, and our garlic bread has never ever been burnt so it was pretty much all black. My partner had some fish which was very nice! I would recommend it to anyone who travels to Bowness.

1 Thank funkyfreeeesh
Cheshire
“Nice, but small portions”
Reviewed December 5, 2008

Had dinner here in December and enjoyed it. The food was nice and there was a large menu to chose from. However the portions were very small, I though the pizza was a child's portion at first! My pasta dish was also small and was left wanting a lot more.

Service was good and prices reasonable.

1 Thank 10J