“Nightmare! We had to send both our dinners back 3 times!”
Review of Linthwaite House

Linthwaite House
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Linthwaite House Hotel restaurant overlooking Lake Windermere in the sublime Lake District is a very special place indeed. With views that would have thrilled Wordsworth, Linthwaite House Hotel has chosen luxurious, tasteful interiors to please even the most jaded urbanite and the kitchen, under chef Simon Bolsover, is daring and modern too. Fresh, local ingredients conspire in a signature dish like 60 Degree Herdwick Lamb with braised neck kataifi, cep and kidney risotto. Choose from light lunch menu on the terrace, daily changing table d’hote menu or simpler a la carte in the elegant dining room, with its vast mirror collection, in the evenings, vegetarian menu, or trad Sunday lunch, all accompanied by a blistering global wine list.
Reviewed February 4, 2013

What a nightmare! We had dinner and both of us had to send our food back not twice- but three times! (Not cooked to our request, then served cold, and then with only half the veg! And then staff served one of us and expected us to eat our food seperately!!! - absolutely unbelievable!)
please note that this was made worse as there were only 6 other people eating in the restaurant- how can the chef/staff get it so wrong?!?!?!
Very poor response from manager who was extremely rude- no apology or explanation.
Overpriced & poor, very disappointing. Would not recommend.

5  Thank Billy24276

Reviewed January 30, 2013

quality, menu, wine list, taste - all excellent. would recommend for a special treat. good value four course meal for £52.00

1  Thank beverly c
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Was booked into linthwaite house by the owner of the B&B i was staying at.
On arrival was presented with a glass of champagne and nibbles. The setting is stunning with open log fires and the atmosphere was very good.
However was then left for approx 40 minutes without any service, we kept getting the waiters attention to order some drinks only to be told in a moment.
The food was good and i would definately recommend the cheese board !
I think staff need to be more attentive to all visitors and speed up their service in the lounge area.
Service within the dining area was excellent.

2  Thank cheryl g
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I got married at Linthwaite just over 2 years ago, and as I was visiting the Lakes with my parents, we thought we would go for lunch. It was as good as ever, food and service both brilliant. We ate off the new terrace menu, which was varied and the food quite substantial. We actually ate in the restaurant as the terrace was chilly on a winter's afternoon, and the set lunch menu also looked good in the restaurant.

Definitely need to get back with my husband for our anniversary, I would highly recommend it.

Reviewed December 6, 2012 via mobile

My partner and I went for a romantic meal here, as I was planning to propose.
I could not have picked a better place to do it.

The entrance area is inviting and opens up to a roaring log fire, there are a number of cosy little nooks and crannies to sit at before the meal. The place was dressed up beautifully for christmas.

We were shown into the conservatory area, and given the drinks menu. We were provided with a lovely little tray of appetisers, cheese and bacon straws, pistachio purée, nuts, olives, etc. we ordered our drinks and around 10 minutes later were shown through to the dining room.

The dining room is cosy, and intimate, with a really nice feel to it. For a top class establishment like this I was concerned that it would be a little bit stuffy but the setting was perfect.

We were served fresh bread and pumpkin soup before the starters. I chose crab and my partner chose Pigeon, and for the main course I had pork and my partner had trout.
The standard of food produced here was absolutely stunning, with so many tastes, textures and flavours. The pork dish stood out immensely , every bite was delicious.
Both desserts were gorgeous too I had tamarind and my partner had mandarin cheesecake.
The service was impeccable, you never knew the staff were there until you wanted something, the waiters replenished the water at just the right times and deserve all the praise they get.

Before coming here I made a number of enquiries at other restaurants, and ended up coming here because of the excellent deal they have on. The meal should have been £52 per person but was reduced to £26 per person. The drinks were a little bit pricey at £4.50 for a large bottle of beer, and about £9 for a Gordon's and tonic but I have to say I didn't mind the prices, the food, setting and service is worth every penny. I'd like to add aswell that the meal would have been worth the £52 per person, in my opinion.

I settled the bill, and spoke to the manager, he gave me a map of the local area and some tips for where to go to. Excellent little touch.

After dinner we went back into the lounge area and I proposed to my (now) fiancée in front of a very special and Christmassy log fire! The night was one to remember.

We would love to visit again. Thank you for an amazing night