Before I begin this review I would just like to say that we are seasoned travellers who have stayed in a variety of accommodation types all over the world. We had a warm welcome on a very wet day!
We stayed for 2 nights in what we thought would be superior accommodation, paying nearly £200 for bed and breakfast. We had a king size bedded room which was very nice, but the "private bathroom" was wide from the mark! It was across the landing which we felt would not be an issue as no one else was staying on the same part of the building. The owner did offer to show us another room however, but we decided to give it a go.
The bathroom, as others had commented, was very small which was not a problem as we weren't there for long. Shower was good and lots of toiletries etc. available. However the mouldy ceiling, wall and window was a bit of a downer. No excuse even if you have to paint it all once a month. I know there is planned refurbishment but in the interim this is not good. The bathroom felt grubby as a result which is a shame. The separate toilet had no ventilation at all!
There are too many rules in the place. Only a 45 minute window for breakfast even at weekends, yet they do not clean your room unless requested on a Saturday so your privacy and relaxation is protected. Surely the price charged should cover a cleaned room? That meant that tea, sugar, milk etc was "doubled" on the Friday as the instruction card stated. However we ran out!! More could be "purchased"!!! I have never before come across this but stand corrected if this is practice in some establishments. The info book had more rules to adhere to than ever seen before.
Breakfast was adequate in a lovely bright room which had beautiful views across the lake. I asked for a poached egg but this was denied as they only did fried or scrambled. No jug of juice for a refill nor a very wide variety of breakfast items in comparison to similar priced bed and breakfasts. The second morning the bacon was very hard - not well done, just hard which I had to leave. I did not chance the sausage again as it was disgusting the day before. The rest was ok and we were asked if we would like more tea which was nice.
The room itself was clean and seemed newly refurbished with very nice furnishings and flatscreen tv. Bathrobes were available for our across the landing jaunts!! However I do not think this warrants the price charged. Yes it is a lovely house and obviously their home, but paying guests are not visitors and if it s opened as a guest house then they need to feel that they receive value for money. Sorry and I am sure you will question this review, but I stand by what I have written in comparison to similar priced accommodation.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Overlooking Lake Windermere - 4 star accommodation -Rooms with Lake Views - Parking - En-suite rooms equiped with all you need to ensure a comfortable stay - 1 min shops/bars/attractions - Full English Breakfast - No Pets - Children over 8yrs only. internet in guest lounge ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, LateRooms and Priceline so you can book your New Hall Bank reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- New Hall Bank Hotel Bowness-On-Windermere
- New Hall Bank Bowness-On-Windermere, England - Lake District