“Room 6”

Eastbourne Guest House
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Nice clean Guest House, bit impersonal, never saw the owner once. Stayed in room 6 which seemed to have something outside the window which creaked and banged if the slightest breeze caught it, we stayed two nights and got no sleep, we complained to the lady who cleaned the rooms she said she knew about it but couldn't do anything about it and we should speak to the owner. Clean tidy, pleasant place to stay as long as you don't stay in room 6!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
11  Thank Vassey_13

Reviewed May 14, 2013

My wife & I stayed for our anniversary last night & had a decidedly average stay. We paid extra for a "Superior Suite" to find it was on the ground floor right next to the reception desk/front door. The room itself was very nice & spacious with a well presented (though slightly small) en suite. It was all very clean & had everything we needed, including a DVD player & iPod dock. The curtains were very thin & let in a lot of light, but did their basic function. The location was great for access to the lake & local amenities so we could walk wherever we wanted to go.

The issue we had was with noise through the building. We could hear every time the door was opened or someone walked past to gain access to the private residential area. We could even hear the TV in the private area! In the morning, we heard people at the desk as well as all preparation for breakfast.

The breakfast we had was actually very nice, particularly the locally sourced sausages. The staff were attentive & made sure we had had enough.

When we checked out we were able to leave our car in their car park for a while while we had another walk.

All in all it was a nice place that could just benefit from more insulation/sound proofing.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
11  Thank Jon W
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Firstly, I must say it is a beautiful property. But the experience would be interesting if you actually got welcomed to it. On arrival, the door was opened 'Hi-tech' by interphone. Martin the owner, calls you informally by your first name and lets you in the property. During our 3 day stay, we never actually saw him. Who we did see was Marina ( his wife, though she never actually introduced herself to us or infact even said 'Hello'). She serves the breakfast in the morning ( poor buffet - basically just cereals, yoghourts and cheap 'supermarket croissants', but decent cooked english breakfast ). It was really only on the third morning that the message sank in : to other tables she was quite chirpy, introducing herself and pronouncing a few niceties in her rather hard to understand diction. ( Don't ask her to repeat : she gets rather haughty if she is not understood ). But to us, all we got was, ''Vat do you vant for brikfast ?''. We concluded that being a married gay couple in our 50's, might have something to do with it ? We asked her for help on one evening : we asked her for a needle. My spanish husband ( who had great difficulty understanding her ) was rebuffed quite rudely. He was laughingly told : ''I have one at home, but not here''. If she is a professional 4 star guesthouse owner ( maybe she is new at this ?), I would have expected a bit more empathy, and help. Could she not just have suggested bringing one for us from her home the next morning ? We did not know that she didn't consider the guesthouse her home, afterall she is the owner ? And this made us realise that there is no personel on the property at night, so in case of emergency ( health wise or other ) you are on your own in the middle of the Lake district with no one to consult or offer help to you. It is an important point to consider. On my way out, Marina gave me my bill and uttered 'Alvays velcome' . It sounded like something she had learned from a text book and there was no sincerity behind the words. I angrily stormed off and informed her of another issue that had annoyed me : the main light switch in the breakfast room had grubby finger marks on it for the past three days ! While this property is beautiful and the room we stayed in was tastefully decorated it lacks the most important detail, a heart : someone that welcomes you and shows willing to help if need be. I have now read other criticisms about this property and most people complain about the same thing : Marina. She is not apt to run a 4 star property and she needs to read her 'Guesthouse owner guidebook' to learn how to do her job better and without discrimination.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
14  Thank Ingles132
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I paid extra to have a late cancellation on this. When I tried to cancel I was told I was too late & the full balance wd be deducted whether I came or not.
So when we did arrive & spoke to owner via intercom he said "Oh yes, we've been exchanging emails, I've upgraded you to a king size room to keep you.....er....happy". Nice customer skills.
Then the intercom cut out before he buzzed us in & we had to wait another few minutes for him to answer as he got "distracted by another phone call".
We were extremely disappointed with our 'upgrade' as it was much smaller than any of the rooms shown online & didn't have the sofa as stated is in every room. Instead it was very small, with a dressing table so close to the bed that the stool couldn't be used. There's was one window high up on the wall & like a reboots reviewer said, there's a scurrying/rattling noise from the roof.
I had arranged beforehand for gluten free breakfast. This consisted of one sausage instead of the two which everyone else received. I was also given 2 slices of gluten free toast which would have been nice had there not been a hair on it both days.
The ladies who served meals & cleaned seemed nice enough and a positive aspect of our stay was they allowed us to leave our luggage there on our last day. Another positive aspect was the location, close to restaurants & the cinema which does a meal & movie deal which is worthwhile.
Our room was also quite clean & the bathroom looked quite new, but the stairways had shelves along them which were thick with dust.
On our last day we caught a glimpse of the other rooms - spacious, beautifully decorated with leather 2 sweaters & large windows with nice views.
Upgraded? My foot!
Would I recommend it? No.
Will I be back? No.
We plan to return to Bowness again soon, but have chosen an alternative accommodation.

• Stayed: April 2013
16  Thank Catleon
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Myself and my partner stayed for one night on Thursday 18 April. We arrived at about 7.30 in the evening and went straight out for a meal in one of the pubs nearby. Good location for most of amenities. We were up first thing and had checked out by 9am as we were pushed for time and wanted to visit the lake (also very nearby). We stayed in one of the superior rooms which is well worth paying a little extra for. Very comfortable and spacious. Great shower.

Breakfast was a little rushed but very good.

Even though we had barely unpacked as we had plans, i received a text message from the owner the next day to ask me to contact him as we had not reported any damage to the TV stand in the bedroom upon checking out. I called him straight back to explain that the reason for this was because we were not aware of any damage! When i was asked to shed any light on it obviously i could not. As far as i am aware we were not asked to pay anything however it left a very sour taste after an otherwise lovely stay. I appreciate these things must be looked into however this must have been done before we arrived and perhaps should have been checked.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
19  Thank Kaye L
Reviewed April 8, 2013

On every 14th of Feb my wife and i always try some were romantic as on the 14th is my birthday,our wedding anniversary and Valentin's day this time we chose lake district uk we stayed at Eastbourne b&B in Bowness on Windermere lovely room with a view the bed and pillows were very comfortable very clean sheets and towels small bathroom but very cosy breakfast could be better even the service could be better but on the whole we loved it its in a very good location as its not far from restaurants bars shops and the lake. Bowness Is a very nice little town but its a must to hire a car because you need one to get around we went to very nice towns like we went up to York Penrith Kendal Ambleside thanks to our little Toyota. The walks by lake very romantic. We had fish and chips at a very good and very clean English fish and chip shop called shell shop in Ambleside very nice mate keep it up and for a very traditional steak and kidney pie we went to st martins tea room in bowness very tasty and fresh well in one word thank you lake district we enjoyed it in any way PAUL & CLAIRE FROM MALTA

Room Tip: room no 7 large room with own bathroom and a view