“Heartless and Discriminate”

Eastbourne Guest House
Barcelona
“Heartless and Discriminate”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Firstly, I must say it is a beautiful property. But the experience would be interesting if you actually got welcomed to it. On arrival, the door was opened 'Hi-tech' by interphone. Martin the owner, calls you informally by your first name and lets you in the property. During our 3 day stay, we never actually saw him. Who we did see was Marina ( his wife, though she never actually introduced herself to us or infact even said 'Hello'). She serves the breakfast in the morning ( poor buffet - basically just cereals, yoghourts and cheap 'supermarket croissants', but decent cooked english breakfast ). It was really only on the third morning that the message sank in : to other tables she was quite chirpy, introducing herself and pronouncing a few niceties in her rather hard to understand diction. ( Don't ask her to repeat : she gets rather haughty if she is not understood ). But to us, all we got was, ''Vat do you vant for brikfast ?''. We concluded that being a married gay couple in our 50's, might have something to do with it ? We asked her for help on one evening : we asked her for a needle. My spanish husband ( who had great difficulty understanding her ) was rebuffed quite rudely. He was laughingly told : ''I have one at home, but not here''. If she is a professional 4 star guesthouse owner ( maybe she is new at this ?), I would have expected a bit more empathy, and help. Could she not just have suggested bringing one for us from her home the next morning ? We did not know that she didn't consider the guesthouse her home, afterall she is the owner ? And this made us realise that there is no personel on the property at night, so in case of emergency ( health wise or other ) you are on your own in the middle of the Lake district with no one to consult or offer help to you. It is an important point to consider. On my way out, Marina gave me my bill and uttered 'Alvays velcome' . It sounded like something she had learned from a text book and there was no sincerity behind the words. I angrily stormed off and informed her of another issue that had annoyed me : the main light switch in the breakfast room had grubby finger marks on it for the past three days ! While this property is beautiful and the room we stayed in was tastefully decorated it lacks the most important detail, a heart : someone that welcomes you and shows willing to help if need be. I have now read other criticisms about this property and most people complain about the same thing : Marina. She is not apt to run a 4 star property and she needs to read her 'Guesthouse owner guidebook' to learn how to do her job better and without discrimination.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
14 Thank Ingles132

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I paid extra to have a late cancellation on this. When I tried to cancel I was told I was too late & the full balance wd be deducted whether I came or not.
So when we did arrive & spoke to owner via intercom he said "Oh yes, we've been exchanging emails, I've upgraded you to a king size room to keep you.....er....happy". Nice customer skills.
Then the intercom cut out before he buzzed us in & we had to wait another few minutes for him to answer as he got "distracted by another phone call".
We were extremely disappointed with our 'upgrade' as it was much smaller than any of the rooms shown online & didn't have the sofa as stated is in every room. Instead it was very small, with a dressing table so close to the bed that the stool couldn't be used. There's was one window high up on the wall & like a reboots reviewer said, there's a scurrying/rattling noise from the roof.
I had arranged beforehand for gluten free breakfast. This consisted of one sausage instead of the two which everyone else received. I was also given 2 slices of gluten free toast which would have been nice had there not been a hair on it both days.
The ladies who served meals & cleaned seemed nice enough and a positive aspect of our stay was they allowed us to leave our luggage there on our last day. Another positive aspect was the location, close to restaurants & the cinema which does a meal & movie deal which is worthwhile.
Our room was also quite clean & the bathroom looked quite new, but the stairways had shelves along them which were thick with dust.
On our last day we caught a glimpse of the other rooms - spacious, beautifully decorated with leather 2 sweaters & large windows with nice views.
Upgraded? My foot!
Would I recommend it? No.
Will I be back? No.
We plan to return to Bowness again soon, but have chosen an alternative accommodation.

• Stayed April 2013
16 Thank Catleon
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Myself and my partner stayed for one night on Thursday 18 April. We arrived at about 7.30 in the evening and went straight out for a meal in one of the pubs nearby. Good location for most of amenities. We were up first thing and had checked out by 9am as we were pushed for time and wanted to visit the lake (also very nearby). We stayed in one of the superior rooms which is well worth paying a little extra for. Very comfortable and spacious. Great shower.

Breakfast was a little rushed but very good.

Even though we had barely unpacked as we had plans, i received a text message from the owner the next day to ask me to contact him as we had not reported any damage to the TV stand in the bedroom upon checking out. I called him straight back to explain that the reason for this was because we were not aware of any damage! When i was asked to shed any light on it obviously i could not. As far as i am aware we were not asked to pay anything however it left a very sour taste after an otherwise lovely stay. I appreciate these things must be looked into however this must have been done before we arrived and perhaps should have been checked.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
19 Thank Kaye L
Pembroke
Reviewed April 8, 2013

On every 14th of Feb my wife and i always try some were romantic as on the 14th is my birthday,our wedding anniversary and Valentin's day this time we chose lake district uk we stayed at Eastbourne b&B in Bowness on Windermere lovely room with a view the bed and pillows were very comfortable very clean sheets and towels small bathroom but very cosy breakfast could be better even the service could be better but on the whole we loved it its in a very good location as its not far from restaurants bars shops and the lake. Bowness Is a very nice little town but its a must to hire a car because you need one to get around we went to very nice towns like we went up to York Penrith Kendal Ambleside thanks to our little Toyota. The walks by lake very romantic. We had fish and chips at a very good and very clean English fish and chip shop called shell shop in Ambleside very nice mate keep it up and for a very traditional steak and kidney pie we went to st martins tea room in bowness very tasty and fresh well in one word thank you lake district we enjoyed it in any way PAUL & CLAIRE FROM MALTA

Room Tip: room no 7 large room with own bathroom and a view
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

Stayed Easter wkend in room 6. Comfortable bed, nice towels & clean room. Electric shower was poor. Breakfast was nice, but cooked part always seemed rushed, arriving just before or as you finished cereal. Good location, just 2 mins walk into Bowness, 20mins to Windermere.

• Stayed March 2013
17 Thank nremmer
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 31, 2013

On arrival spoke to someone via intercom. We were shown to the annex room by the cleaner who spoke little English. Room was fair, but breakfast was disappointing. Asked what we would like, but told the waitress we had not been given a menu. Two menus were literally thrown on the table. The breakfast itself was below par; neither my wife or I ate the sausages because they were raw! Plates were collected and we were not asked if everything was O.K. even though we had both left a lot of uneaten food. Would not recommend.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
20 Thank BRI866
Birkenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Its a nice house, the room was clean and tidy and a very good newly fitted out bathroom. We only ever spoke to the owners over the phone and through the intercom which felt a bit impersonal but not really a complaint as they sounded friendly enough. There was a problem with the payment through booking.com and also with their card machine (it wasn't a lack of funds on my behalf!). Anyway we had to take cash which I didn't mind but I'm used to paying once I check out, not before I've even stayed or seen the room; I can only assume that they have suffered with 'runners' in the past! The breakfast was average (I didn't think much of the sausages) but the staff were very friendly and very helpful offering extra tea, coffee, toast etc which is nice because its surprising how many places don't! Good value for what we paid, didn't exceed any expectations but in a good location and the free parking space is also a plus.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple