“Disappointing afternoon tea”

Afternoon Tea at Storrs Hall
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 24, 2014 via mobile

Storrs hall is beautiful. The hotel and restaurant are lovely and the surroundings are amazing. However, the afternoon tea was a let down. It was champagne afternoon tea. We did not get shown the bottle or get told which champagne it was. The afternoon tea was very poor. 4 small finger sandwiches each, a small scone, small tart, panacotta and macaroon. The food was beautiful but definitely not worth the price. The service was not very good either.

1  Thank Heys75

Reviewed April 22, 2014

Enjoyed an Afternoon Tea with Storrs Hall last Wednesday, with my best friend as a belated Birthday treat. Took advantage of a voucher with Travelzoo which meant that we could enjoy a glass of Champagne. Quite a refreshing change to be asked about any dietary requirements before Afternoon Tea was served. The bread for the sandwiches was a little stale, and the scones, tiny ! No refills offered but service was good and the views out to the Lake were simply Stunning.

2  Thank sherry a
Reviewed April 16, 2014

My friend and I visited here for Champagne afternoon tea..... and I have to say, sadly, it was very disappointing.....

I really don't like giving average reviews, but I feel that in this instance, I have to - attention to detail at a place as grand as this is very important.......

The Hall itself is a stunning building with fantastic views and it is very nice inside.....the staff were friendly. The afternoon tea was OK, but this was a treat from my friend, and had I paid for it, I would not be happy.

The sandwiches were nice enough, egg mayo, cucumber, salmon and ham. There were 2 scones, which were very small. The clotted cream was on the cake stand, but the jam was on the table. Neither pot had a spoon...

The cakes were a strawberry macaroon, very nice, and a lemon tart - not very lemony I have to say..... there was also a small jar of panna cotta with a passion fruit coulis - again - no spoon, so how are you meant to eat it???

The cake stand was a flimsy thing, which looked like it was from the poppy collection at Wilkinsons.... again, I would expect proper vintage china cake stands for such a glamorous hotel, or at least, something a bit more sturdy that didn't wobble each time you picked your cup of tea up.....

There was a hair on our tablecloth - not ours!

On arrival we were early, and asked if the wedding coordinator was available as I was thinking about this as a potential venue.... I was advised that it was her day off - not a problem.

I then asked if anyone else would be able to show me round and was told - "No, we are short staffed today, but feel free to walk about and open any doors you like upstairs and have a look, you may get questioned by the maid, but just tell them you are looking around"...... not what I would expect from such an establishment, and didn't fill me with much confidence in all honesty!

I asked for a brochure and the lady went to get one for me. Another lady appeared and she was much more helpful and showed us round and showed us the gardens and explained some of the things we could expect if we were to hold our wedding there......

We had been looking forward to this for some time so all in all, didn't make for a good day out. I have had better afternoon tea's at garden centre's and was expecting a lot more from such a grand place - maybe my expectations were too high, but at £28 it should be a lot better....

Reviewed March 24, 2014

My husband had purchased afternoon tea via Groupon. For my birthday treat and Mother's Day treat for my mother in law. We had traveled over 2 hours to the hotel and were all really looking forward to the visit.

After reading the reviews, we all expected a really top notch Afternoon tea. My mother in law was visiting us for a week from London. We had really talked up Storrs Hall to her. I was really embarrassed by the end of the experience.

The quality of the food we had been served was awful. Cold, dry, tiny scones. We could barely chew them they were that dry. Our sandwiches were stale, curling at the edges and also dry. The fillings had no real flavour. We were served beef as an alternative to ham and mustard that looked and tasted like ham. It was very fatty and looked off.

The pastries and cakes were all of the same level of dryness and poor quality. The lemon posset was in fact ok.

I am sure my review will get lost in the flurry of happy customers. Lucky for them they had a nice experience. We paid £58 for food that should have been binned in all fairness. I could not imagine how I would have felt if we had paid full price.

They say you get what you pay for. In this case that is not true. I should have spent my hard earned money else where. Really really disappointed, I feel slightly robbed of what should have been a nice day out for a mum that does not get a break that often.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

I wanted to treat my wife and my in-laws to an afternoon tea and was tempted by the Travelzoo half price offer. Our party of 4 arrived at about 10 to 4 for a 4pm booking and upon arrival we were told by the gentleman on reception that we could take our afternoon tea in the lounge (which was full) or in the conservatory (which was only set out in tables of 2) or in the bar so we had to go in the bar, a large impersonal room with no atmosphere but 2 (very pleasant) ladies at the adjacent table. By 4.15, (25 minutes) nothing had arrived so I went to check at reception that everything was OK and immediately our tea arrived at the table. Another 20 minutes later with no sign of our afternoon tea I again had to go to reception to ask where it was and astonishingly within 10 seconds our sandwiches and cakes were delivered to our table. Why did I have to ask? After the waiter had plonked it on our table we were asked "is that everything" to which I replied "No" Where is our champagne? "Oh you want that now do you?" was the answer and I replied "yes please" Needless to say it arrived 15 minutes later. After the cakes and sandwiches arrived my wife said "how are we supposed to eat them as no side plates had been set so she had to go and wait at the unattended bar to request some sideplates. The whole experience was all wrong!

7  Thank alethings