“Elim Lodge OK but would not go back”
Review of Elim Lodge

Elim Lodge
Caldwell, New Jersey
“Elim Lodge OK but would not go back”
Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

Arrived at Elim Lodge for a short stay in June (3 days) and was pleasantly surprised by the size of our room. However, that is where comfort ends. We had no car for transport so if we were not out walking or eating we were trapped (3 of us) in our room. I suppose it's my fault for not doing enough investigation in advance; I would have thought there would be "common room" in which we could sit when we were not in our rooms sleeping. Breakfast room was locked if it was not breakfast time. not that I would be comfortable "lounging" in there... Perhaps this is not the norm in the area? It is in the US. While I found the owners helpful before we arrived, they were quite scarce during our stay and I found Linda quite brusque and hurried most if the time. Not what I expected in B&B people at all. Roger was ok and helped us upstairs with our luggage. I just expected B&B people to be a little more friendly and would have liked someplace to lounge other than in our room. Would not go back.

• Stayed June 2013
5 Thank RETIREMENT2015

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Meltham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 24, 2013

The general standard of accommodation is a little "tired". While clean and reasonably comfortable it all felt a little dated and in need of general refurbishment. Expensive for what you get. We stayed for three nights in June 2013.

The breakfast was nice although a little limited and don't try asking for something if it isn't on the menu!

Our biggest issue with the place was the owners. They were incredibly rude and abrupt. When my partner asked if she could have scrambled eggs and mushrooms for breakfast she got - "we don't do mushroom" in a very rude and aggressive manner, as if to say "how dare you ask for something other than this!"

We had earlier had an issue over arrival times, we got stuck in traffic on the way there so telephoned to let them know we might be arriving about 10:30pm. (We actually arrived at 10:15pm) The response was, "Well you clearly didn't set off soon enough", when I explained that it was just that we are stuck in traffic, the response was "So you say" - in fact calling me a liar! If I could have cancelled the booking at that point I would have done.

At breakfast on Sunday morning we heard the owner "bark" at a resident wanting to check out - "You'll have to wait can't, you see I'm serving breakfast!"

Bowness is a lovely place, highly recommended but I couldn't recommend Elim Lodge as a place to stay. There are loads of alternatives and for the price (£77 per night) there are plenty of cheaper and better places you could stay.

Room Tip: My tip for choosing a good room would be to pick a different hotel!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Christian M
elimlodge, Owner at Elim Lodge, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Many thanks for the comments, and I'm sure in the interests of fairness the guest wouldn't mind if we put our viewpoint.

Firstly, the reviewer's partner rang 40 mins before latest check in to say they were going to be late. When I asked how late, she said she didn't know, and when I asked where they were, she said she didn't know. We finally established they were about two hours away, and we said, despite the fact that they would be way past latest check in time, we would wait up for them. Twenty minutes later, the reviewer rang up said I'd upset his partner, because she didn't know whether they would be allowed in, despite what I told her. He were very aggressive and rude to me personally, I too wish they had not arrived, we were dreading their arrival. It is the guest's responsibility to arrive on time, not mine.

We showed them in extremely politely, and were nothing but deliberately courteous to them throughout the stay. We offer a very extensive menu, yet the reviewer's partner wanted to order something else without bothering to read our menu. We are a three star B&B, and our breakfast has been graded 4 star by VisitEngland, if the guest wanted something more extensive, maybe they should have booked a 4 or 5 star hotel. The way the guest's partner spoke to my wife as she was going out the first morning was nothing short of disgusting. Other guests in the hall at the time looked in amazement and asked us what that was all about.

And finally, the guest didn't pay £77 per night, they paid £72. It is amazing how friendly and polite the reviewer's partner was when she came back for the charger that she had forgotten, maybe if they were both a little more accommodating and less aggressive, they would have had a better experience.
Holyhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Only stayed for 1 night but can highly recommend. Spotlessly clean, immaculate room and friendly hosts. I would definitely stay here again the next time I come to the Lakes. Bowness is also a nice village with everything you need with regard to shops, restaurants etc. All within a short walk.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
elimlodge, Owner at Elim Lodge, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Many thanks for the kind comments, we try our best to be accommodating.
Southport, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We had a very enjoyable stay in this lovely house. The room was clean, fresh and comfortable and we had our own private bathroom with a choice of bath or shower. We stayed with our young daughter and found the owners very pleasant and child friendly. Breakfast was a real pleasure, lots of choice, cooked to order and very generous portions. Great start to the day. We were very lucky with the weather this year which just capped off a perfect stay in the Lakes :) The property is a short walk into Bowness and we enjoyed walking down to the lake every day. I would highly recommend Elim Lodge, excellent value for money.

Thank you for a very enjoyable stay and we hope to return

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
elimlodge, Owner at Elim Lodge, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Many thanks for the lovely comments, it was a pleasure to have you and your family with us.
Chorley, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 2, 2013

We booked very last minute so ended up where there was a room available at a reasonable price. Therefore, we didn't really know much about Elim Lodge before arriving.

We were very pleasantly surprised. The location is fantastic, just a short walk from the lake and with some great shops, pubs and restaurants really near by. We would definitely recommend going for a drink in the garden of The Angel Inn as the sun is setting - truly beautiful!

Elim Lodge is on a side road just off the main road which runs through Bowness so is a little away from the hustle and bustle but still close enough to feel as though you're in the centre. It is a hill walk down to the lake which means an uphill walk back but it's not too far, we enjoyed the walk and you can't go far in The Lakes without encountering a hill anyway!

The room we stayed in was very spacious and the bed was so comfy! The room and en-suite were both extremely clean. Everything had been thought of, we did not feel there was anything missing from the room. It was really nice that an effort had been made by the lodge to be environmentally friendly.

We were over an hour early for check in but popped in to see whether we could leave the car in the car park. Rodger was so friendly and told us we were fine to check in then and there because the room was ready. We were so grateful of this because my husband had not long come out of hospital and was feeling really tired.

Breakfast the next day was gorgeous. There was a selection of cereals and then different hot options were ordered and brought to the table. The breakfast time of 45 minutes was shorter than we have encountered anywhere else. It meant that all guests were having breakfast at the same time which put a slight strain on the service. This wasn't a problem because we still had a fantastic experience and don't think it needs changing, it is just something we would make other travellers aware of.

Overall, we had a fabulous stay and would definitely return. For the location, quality of accommodation and food, price and friendly welcome we think that Elim Lodge is one of the best if not the best guest House in Bowness!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 1 which is at the front of the house and would definitely request that room if we...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
elimlodge, Owner at Elim Lodge, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Thanks for the comments, and delighted that you and your husband enjoyed yourselves, feedback like this makes it all worthwhile :)
Gateshead, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 17, 2013

We stayed in the Lakes for a dog walking weekend, and were pleasantly greeted by a lovely chap who helped us find walking tracks and dog friendly pubs before showing us to our room. The room itself was delightfully cute and very clean, we also had a seperate private bathroom.
Breakfast was delicious and came in generous portions and set us in good stead for the rest of the day.
While checking out we had a lovely chat to both the owners and there gorgeous Golden Retriever. All in all an excellent dog friendly B&B, suprisingly close to town and lovely couple running it.
Would definately reccomend Elim Lodge and we will stay again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Stu F
elimlodge, Owner at Elim Lodge, responded to this review, May 18, 2013
Many thanks, it was a pleasure to have you and the dogs here
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 11, 2013

After spending a lovely couple of days at this homely enivironment, myself and my partner were subjected to what can only be described as very unprofessional outburst from the owner (I.e RODGER)
when departing we were confronted with a very verbal and intimidating manner when asked about payment, we had booked through booking.com and thought all payments were taken in full, beforehand but then RODGER asked for a further payment of one night which we said we had already paid, then he proceeded to jump about waving his arms in a very petulant way, which we both found very disturbing and frightening because of his unpredictable nature.
We thought this was just a one off situation, but whist reading other peoples comments on here it would seem to be a regular pattern. I would of thought someone in his business calibre would handle this matter in a professional and understanding manner. I found RODGER very disturbing with his extreme behaviour, this I gather is a form of manipulation and trying to control a situation that could of easily have been dealt with in a more constructive way that would of made both parties more comfortable in understanding this situation,
The lodges strengths was the unique character of the oldness of the home, thus adding to the homely environment offered by his wife who was outstanding in providing a good value for money service, the location of the lodge was excellent as it was near all the main attractions, the food was to an excellent standard that was unique to customers requirements, I would like to also add his wife worked extremely hard in providing a high standard of customer service but unfortunately RODGER ruined this holistic environment. I feel very sad and disappointed that this situation arose as it gave a very bad impression of the lodge and distroyed the good work of his wife

Room Tip: read all the reviews thoruoghly before making booking
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank FaFiMo2011
elimlodge, Owner at Elim Lodge, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
This is one of those reviews where someone tries to leave without paying, and then takes it out on the host when asked for payment.

What the reviewer totally fails to mention is that she accused us of being dishonest. The booking was an online one, and they had not read the deposit policy, as they had been helped by a friend who, she told us, never makes mistakes. Far from waving my arms about, what I actually did was object to the implication that we were trying to take money to which we were not entitled, got my laptop and showed them, in full detail, what they had booked and what the deposit policy and cancellation policy was, and showed them where it was on the paper confirmation that they had brought with them. The male guest accepted this, but the female guest did not, repeating again and again that her friend never makes mistakes. She also said that she would apologise when she checked her bank statement and saw that she had only been charged once, in fact, I guaranteed her that if there were any mistakes, they could have the accommodation for free. Needless to say, we have not had any apology. My wife was present throughout, and was equally trying very hard to get the guest to accept what was on the Booking.com site, confirmation, and credit card slip from the deposit, which we gave them.

it is so important that if you book anything online, you check the terms and conditions, particularly about payment. It should not be a surprise to anyone that someone who is being accused of being dishonest gets upset. If they had bothered to read what they were booking, this would never have happened.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bowness-on-Windermere
The Burnside Hotel, BW Premier Collection
The Burnside Hotel, BW Premier C...
#8 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
#38 of 53 in Bowness-on-Windermere
Latimer House
Latimer House
#18 of 53 in Bowness-on-Windermere

Been to Elim Lodge? Share your experiences!